Question About GMOS Harness

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
MommyMayhem

Question About GMOS Harness

Post by MommyMayhem »

I bought my vibe in 2010 and in about 2013 the buttons on volume button broke. I had it replaced and 6 months ago it broke again. I am officially done with this factory crap stereo and would like to replace it with a new one that has MP3/Bluetooth/USB support. When I spoke to an installer he told me I needed a GMOS-LAN-012 harness which I bought second hand. I also already have a stereo as well as a dashkit. What I want to know is do I really need to install this GMOS harness if I don't use onstar at all. I've never even activated it. If I don't need this particular item, do I need a different aftermarket wiring set-up? Also, how complicated would be to do myself if I already know how to get the panels off? I can't justify the $200 I was quoted for an install. Not if I can do it myself. Thanks for any help in advance.

Edit: My car is the base model. No steering wheel controls or premium sound.
pakong

Re: Question About GMOS Harness

Post by pakong »

You don't need the GMOS if you're not going to use Onstar. I would like to disable my Onstar actually.
MacGyver

Re: Question About GMOS Harness

Post by MacGyver »

You can use a standard GM Metra harness, you just have to move the red wire in the harness to another position and you're golden. You'll also need an antenna adapter. It's a total DIY job. But if you have the GMOS interface, you might as well use it.

Details here: viewtopic.php?t=37163

If you don't use a GMOS interface module, the OnStar light on the rear view mirror will go red to indicate an error. I was able to get mine to go green by accident, trying to wire the OnStar to my aux input. It didn't work, but the red light went away and has been green since!

If you don't want to use OnStar at all, pull the MAYDAY fuse in the fuse box under the hood. I only subscribe to OnStar antitheft service for $5 a month.
2009 Vibe Base