Auto Locks on 2010 GT Stick Shift

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
ImN3XU5

Auto Locks on 2010 GT Stick Shift

Post by ImN3XU5 »

Before I bought this 2010 GT, I test drove a 2009 automatic GT and noticed that it had auto locking doors when it went into/out of gear, but my 2010 GT stick shift doesn't have it. I've tried Googling it and have turned up nothing for stick shift 09's and 10's. I haven't had a chance to look in my owner's manual yet but I feel like that won't add anything to my search lol.
tpollauf

Re: Auto Locks on 2010 GT Stick Shift

Post by tpollauf »

I attempted to activate this feature on my 2009 Vibe GT with the manual 5-speed tranny BUT had no luck. I tried a few tricks posted here and on MAtrix.com but nothing ever worked. Yes the auto will toggle this feature but I think we're screwed with not having it on the manuals. See what you can dig up if anything and let us know if you have any luck.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

tpollauf wrote:I attempted to activate this feature on my 2009 Vibe GT with the manual 5-speed tranny BUT had no luck. I tried a few tricks posted here and on MAtrix.com but nothing ever worked. Yes the auto will toggle this feature but I think we're screwed with not having it on the manuals. See what you can dig up if anything and let us know if you have any luck.
From what I've seen it can be edited with the Toyota Techstream/Tech2(?) but I haven't found anything definitive about that.
jolt

Post by jolt »

With the auto trans, you can change the setting for the door locks with the Techstream software. I have done it with my 2009. I do not know for sure but I would think that it is not possible with the manual transmission because there is no sensor for the ECM to know if the manual transmission is in gear or not. The auto trans has a safety switch so you can not start the engine if it is in gear and that tells the ECM if the shift lever is in park or neutral. As you shift a manual trans you pass through neutral on about every shift and the doors would be locking and unlocking as you are driving along shifting your car if a sensor was on the shift linkage. To prevent you from starting a manual trans the safety switch is on the clutch pedal. Some cars get around this by sensing the vehicles speed and then locking the doors but the Vibes are not programed to do it this way. When you hook the car to the Techstream software the software reads the cars VIN number that is stored in the ECM and from that the software will display only the options that are available for that car. The software knows if it is a manual or auto trans.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

You could probably wire up some relays to the parking brake switch to trigger the power locks.
2009 Vibe Base
jolt

Post by jolt »

MacGyver wrote:You could probably wire up some relays to the parking brake switch to trigger the power locks.
You would have to use a smart relay that would be programed for a "one shot" so that you would not be applying power to the door locks all the time and end up burning out the coils in the actuators. You would also need to install a diode in the line to prevent the voltage from the new relay back flowing to the key less lock controller and possibly damaging that but that depends on where you would tie into the wiring with the new relay. It would only work if the brake brake is used. There are a lot of different ways to do it but none of them are easy or cheap.