JVC HU has Steering Control Wire in Harnes, Where to connect?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
MrC

JVC HU has Steering Control Wire in Harnes, Where to connect?

Post by MrC »

I pulled out the factory HU of my 2009 Vibe(mp3 version) for a JVC aftermarket that has USB and Bluetooth. The JVC said Steering Control ready on the box and its harness has a single wire labeled steering control. Which wire on the factory harness should this go to?
302LVR

Re: JVC HU has Steering Control Wire in Harnes, Where to connect?

Post by 302LVR »

I'm not 100% positive but that feature may only work with an aftermarket steering wheel control. If u want go on websites such as crutchfield, sonic electronix, metra, or scosche.com and see if they offer any technical info on wiring it up. Hope that helps.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Doesn't look like you can just connect the wire to something on the car's harness. I'm not familiar at all with the 2nd gen, but a quick check on Crutchfield indicates you will need an adapter to integrate the new radio with the steering wheel controls.

I've only set up one of these things once (for a co-worker with an older Altima) and it was a tedious ordeal but it did eventually work.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
MrC

Post by MrC »

^Yeah, searching around seems to point at an $50 adapter though I'm feeling the true issue is lack of knowledge. Maybe in the future, after a few guys figure it out, it will be common knowledge on the web but for now looks like I'm screwed - pay $50 for steering adapter for a $60 HU.

The thing that gets me is its only one wire. JVC is not a stupid company. It must only require one wire or be the norm to only use one wire.
302LVR

Post by 302LVR »

You can always try the old school way and check the pins on the oem radio harness to see if you find a signal coming from the swc(steering wheel control). Being that u say it only uses 2 wires i can imagine one is + n the other -(ground) but i doubt only one signal wire will control volume, changing stations, etc. It's always worth a shot though n u may save yourself those $50. Good luck n let us know what you find out.
MrC

Post by MrC »

Looked at the Crutchfield page and the adaptor does connect to a single wire.
Compatible Aftermarket Head Units: The PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface is compatible with the following steering wheel remote ready aftermarket head units.

Alpine, Clarion, Dual, Jensen Pioneer, Sony, and Valor: The aftermarket head unit must be equipped with a 3.5mm steering wheel input jack.
JVC & Kenwood: The aftermarket head unit must be equipped with a blue/yellow steering wheel input wire. (Not compatible with Kenwood KDC-BT318U, KDC-BT558U, KDC-BT562U, KDC-BT758HD, KDC-X598, KDC-X798, KMR-D558BT, or KMR-D562BT.)
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541SWIRC/ ... ml?tp=3405

This is so weird! One wire, why do we even need an adapter?