Signs of moon and tunes amp going bad ?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
cptnsolo77

Signs of moon and tunes amp going bad ?

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I haven't posted in a while but I think my M&T amp is going bad. I have a Kenwood HU with Polk DB651 speakers front and rear. Recently just the front speakers sound VERY distorted even at low volume ( 1 ) :lol: At first I noticed it from the left speaker, but I did a visual inspection...no cracks or tears and connections were OK. Later on I noticed the right speaker was doing the same. Is that a symptom of the amp going bad ? I don't play my music loud enough to blow BOTH speakers within a week or 2, and I have the speakers slightly faded to the rear because I have the slim mounts in the fronts and the standard DB651 handles a bit more bass. If anything the rears would blow first.I guess the next step would be to remove the HU and check for loose connections, any advice ? Wow it sounds like crap :lol:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Derf

Re: Signs of moon and tunes amp going bad ?

Post by Derf »

Would suspect bad connections. But first can you detail more about your system, do you have an adapter box between the head unit and Moon and Tunes amp input?
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
cptnsolo77

Re: Signs of moon and tunes amp going bad ?

Post by cptnsolo77 »

No adapter box...I purchased a Scosche SLC4 unit but Crutchfeild said I didn't need it. HU is a Kenwood KDCX597 front speaker are Polk DB651-S and rears are the DB651. Thx for the reply :D
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on