replacing factory HU on 2005 Vibe (white noise)

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
eread

replacing factory HU on 2005 Vibe (white noise)

Post by eread »

I'm replacing the factory stereo on an '05 vibe with the moon and tunes package. No navigation. I ordered all my stuff from Crutchfield
Pioneer DEH-X3910BT
Metra 70-2003 Receiver Wiring Harness
Scosche SLC4 Line Output Converter
I also have the dash kit and antenna adapter.

I wired the HU into the Scosche and the Metra to the other side and plugged it all in and made my LOC adjustments per the instructions. anyway, I noticed some white noise in between songs. So I tried other "sources" like blue tooth, since I hadn't connected any blue tooth and it was there too. every source had it, and it's really noticeable in between songs.

Volume can be all the way down or all the way up, and it's always there. noticeable increase in volume happens at about 50-60% of volume control, but it isn't a lot of increase in volume overall, just noticeable.

I called Crutchfield and they're sending me another LOC. Things we tried. Turning compensation all the way down. no difference. I initially didn't ground the scosche with the harness and HU ground. Did that, no change. Turning the car on and revving engine or driving made no difference on the sound. It's constant, low sshhhhhhhhhh, coming from front and back speakers. I didn't stick my head in the trunk to see what the Sub was doing. but the sub was definitely turning on when I played music. It sounded fine overall, but it's going to get annoying between songs or listening to sports radio and hearing white noise behind it all the time.

I didn't have this before other than when I used an old FM transmitter for an old ipod and that had to do with static and was definitely responsive to volume control. This white noise/static is not really. Even with volume at zero, it's there no matter the source of input. and when I turn the HU off, it goes away. Turn it on and it's instantly there.

Like I said, they're sending me another LOC to try, any other thoughts?
jayoldschool

Re: replacing factory HU on 2005 Vibe (white noise)

Post by jayoldschool »

I installed mine withe the harness adapter only. No LOC. No noise, no problem.
eread

Re: replacing factory HU on 2005 Vibe (white noise)

Post by eread »

Thanks, I had wondered about that. I've read other threads where people just turn the compensation up all the way anyway and leave it. Worth a shot before trying to wire that LOC back in and getting it all behind the dash without a wire popping out again.