2009 2.4L Base - Planning Audio Upgrade

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
sjlufi

2009 2.4L Base - Planning Audio Upgrade

Post by sjlufi »

I drive a 2009 FWD 2.4L Base with standard sound and the front speakers have been cutting out intermittently for some time - now nearly never working.

I don't have a garage but when I drive 500 mi to visit my parents, my dad has a nice setup. I'm trying to plan so I can send parts down to his place and we can work on this together over the holidays. I'm mid-30's with a family, so i don't need intense sound and have a limited budget. In previous cars, a modest upgrade to Pioneer A series speakers and a barely-above-entry-level head unit have been sufficient.

Should I expect anything more serious than connection corrosion?

Does the Base have wiring in place for the premium sound system even if it is not installed? I'm specifically wondering about the subwoofer - I love the idea of adding a stock enclosure but hate to pull the full interior apart for a small gain.

Any tips or concerns for effective Dynamat installation in the doors? It is likely to be enough gain to be worthwhile or am I better off not bothering if I'm not going to do the whole cabin? (Past experience has been with Saab's which already have decent damping and I've found a nice application in the doors has helped clean up the sound a bit).
MacGyver

Re: 2009 2.4L Base - Planning Audio Upgrade

Post by MacGyver »

I only changed out the head unit in my 09 Base. But I can tell you that there is no wiring harness for the premium system in the base, at least in my car. I did see one person find an amp connector in the trunk area on a base, but I don't have that on mine.

Run all new wires as you require. There's space under the center console to run wiring to the amp location under the passenger seat. Here's how to remove the console: viewtopic.php?t=45343

The passenger door sill contains the washer hose to the rear window, and it's clear flexible plastic and easily damaged, so you don't want to run wires there if you can help it, or at least be extremely careful about it.

For a dash kit, get the Scosche as some say it fits better than the Metra. The Scosche is good for single or double DIN. You don't need an interface kit unless you want to keep OnStar. A generic GM harness with one relocated red wire will do.
2009 Vibe Base
sjlufi

Re: 2009 2.4L Base - Planning Audio Upgrade

Post by sjlufi »

Thanks for the reply! I saw the post of the person who found connectors, but thought that was also in a first generation Vibe. Thanks for the info.