2005 GT - Want to add footwell lights when dome lights on

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
nixternal

2005 GT - Want to add footwell lights when dome lights on

Post by nixternal »

Is there an easy place under the dash to wire into, or do I have to go the "hackish" route & run wires up to the posts on the dome light itself? I searched all over, and haven't found anything definitive yet. I want them to come on whenever my dome light comes on, that is when I push the button or open the door. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated! I am getting old, and dropping stuff while driving at night by either myself or the passenger happens more often than not :D
nixternal

Re: 2005 GT - Want to add footwell lights when dome lights on

Post by nixternal »

OK, I just realized, my front dome light in my Vibe doesn't come on with the door open, that's different I think. It does work when you push the button though. So, I can see a relay in my future. Want them to come on when the dome light does as well as when the door opens. Would be cool to get them to fade out like the rest of the cabin lights do, but functionality over cool I guess :)
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

if you use led's for the footwells, you could just run some wiring up to the dome or map lights and tap in...LED draw is VERY low
Derf

Post by Derf »

This article should help with setup and wiring routes. Instead of placing the lights in the door, just add them to your foot wells. To add them to the backseat area, can extend the wiring under the center console, makes an easy mounting point.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42843
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
nixternal

Post by nixternal »

Derf, yeah, already looked at that and the videos :) I just finished upgrading the front, middle, and rear domes to the panel LEDs on Amazon from Cute something or other. Yeah, I definitely do not need footwell lights anymore. In the middle & rear, I was able to get 2 panels, 48 LEDs total in them, and in the front I got one 24 LED panel in. The amount of light is nuts. I was going to add a few LEDs in the back so when I open the rear hatch after fishing, I had some light, but with these new domes, I may not even have to do that now. Insane, and I spent like $20 for all of them. Thanks!