Front speakers blown

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
bigdoug

Front speakers blown

Post by bigdoug »

I noticed the other day that my front speakers don't work (tweeters still do).

I still have the stock radio and system in the car. It won't be until the Christmas season when I'll have enough spare change to swap everything. I have considered, for now, throwing in some speakers so at least I'll have sound again. I could have sworn I saw a thread about using the stock plastic adapters for those speakers and installing aftermarket in those black plastic rings, but I can't find the thread!

I think I read that the OEM system is 2 ohms. If I see a speaker setup that's 4 ohms would that work or cause more problems?
ColonelPanic

Re: Front speakers blown

Post by ColonelPanic »

Here's a thread from the early days of the site with some great pics of reusing the stock brackets:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=567

I almost reused them, but went with the rings from Crutchfield instead. They worked just fine, no need to drill new holes like the instructions said.

If you have moon & tunes, the impedance is 2 ohms. But I haven't seen any ill effects yet with using the factory amp to push 4 ohm speakers. I have a cheap set of $40 Kenwood KFC-1665S in the rear and some nicer Kicker CS65's in the front. From what I gather, ultimately it may not be as loud with the higher impedance speakers but it's still plenty loud for me.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

I forgot to ask a question.

Looking at wiring diagrams, it seems the woofers are wired directly into the amp, and the tweeters are as well. Does that mean the amp also acts as a crossover and properly filters them? I have this feeling if I were to hook a crossover directly to the woofer wires that I wouldn't get any sound for the tweeters...
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

ColonelPanic wrote:If you have moon & tunes, the impedance is 2 ohms. But I haven't seen any ill effects yet with using the factory amp to push 4 ohm speakers. I have a cheap set of $40 Kenwood KFC-1665S in the rear and some nicer Kicker CS65's in the front. From what I gather, ultimately it may not be as loud with the higher impedance speakers but it's still plenty loud for me.
This is correct. You won't harm anything using a higher impedance speaker. Also, the peak noise level difference would be minimal, and you likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Now, going to a lower impedance can fry your system, so I wouldn't recommend that.
bigdoug wrote:I forgot to ask a question.

Looking at wiring diagrams, it seems the woofers are wired directly into the amp, and the tweeters are as well. Does that mean the amp also acts as a crossover and properly filters them? I have this feeling if I were to hook a crossover directly to the woofer wires that I wouldn't get any sound for the tweeters...
I haven't personally replaced mine yet, so I'm just speculating here. But it's also likely that there are passive crossovers on the speakers. That would eliminate the need of an electronic x-over.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

Looking at the front speaker I don't see anything that would be a filter of any kind. It just has the plug and the wires going from the plug to the cone. The tweeters have three pins and a capacitor soldered to the side of them. Also, with my multimeter I measured 3 ohms for the speaker. The probes for the multimeter, when touched together, is about 1.3 ohms which means the speaker would be around 1.7, so I'd say it probably is a 2 ohm speaker.

Looks like I won't be able to repurpose the speakers. The new speakers don't seem to quite fit in the old speaker house. So, will have to order some adapters. From my measurements I'd have around 2" clearance inside the door to miss the window, and another 1" for the speaker adapter.

Also debating whether to get those foam cup baffles that go behind the speakers. Reviews online are mixed.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

bigdoug wrote:Looking at the front speaker I don't see anything that would be a filter of any kind. It just has the plug and the wires going from the plug to the cone. The tweeters have three pins and a capacitor soldered to the side of them. Also, with my multimeter I measured 3 ohms for the speaker.
From that description it sounds like the woofer is playing full range and the tweeter is utilizing the cap as a passive x-over.

If/when I replace my front speakers, people keep mentioning an adapter is needed? Is there any place other than Amazon to get these?
2011 Rav4 Sport
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

SlammedNiss wrote: If/when I replace my front speakers, people keep mentioning an adapter is needed? Is there any place other than Amazon to get these?
Crutchfield will throw them in for free with speaker purchases (as well as wiring harness adapters so you don't have to hack the existing wiring.)

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120828148/ ... tml?tp=919

Here's one of the adapters installed in mine:
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

ColonelPanic wrote:Crutchfield will throw them in for free with speaker purchases (as well as wiring harness adapters so you don't have to hack the existing wiring.)

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120828148/ ... tml?tp=919
I already have new speakers, and it looks like from the page linked in the OP that I can just use the OEM spacers. If not, looks like I can pick up a set from Amazon for <$12 shipped. Btw, thanks for the link to Crutchfield, was able to get the Metra part # from there.

Anybody know if there's room in the front door to hide the X-over for new set of component speakers?
2011 Rav4 Sport
Derf

Post by Derf »

Their is room inside the bottom of the door to mount the crossovers, if they are waterproof. Rain runs down the outside of the door window and drips inside the door. you can mount them to the part of the door facing the occupants, by checking fit between the panel and the plastic door skin.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )