'O9 Radio Knob defect finally got me

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
jake75

'O9 Radio Knob defect finally got me

Post by jake75 »

I can still turn it on/off, and adjust the volume. But I bet it will soon totally break. Need to search how others have fixed this, or just have BEst Buy put in an aftermarket one.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
MacGyver

Re: 'O9 Radio Knob defect finally got me

Post by MacGyver »

I replaced mine with a used aftermarket double-din touchscreen because I wanted USB/Bluetooth connectivity. Cost me nearly $400 in total including the radio, harness, adapters, dash kit, wires, connectors, etc. If you want to simply replace the knob, get a 3d printed one; much cheaper! http://www.shapeways.com/product/4MVV6U ... ntiac-vibe

There are two methods to remove the old knob - take the entire radio out and apart, or crush the old knob to pieces and pull it out.
2009 Vibe Base
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

If you haven't already, read through this thread.

I removed the faceplates from both our Vibes to replace all four knobs. It's really not too bad, just time consuming. If you decide to replace the knobs, remove the retaining edge on the new knobs before installing them so if they break again, you can just pop the broken one off and slide the new one on without having to remove anything again.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
jolt

Post by jolt »

I just installed the knobs from Shapeways.com and now to see how long they last. I ordered the black knobs but they offer a lot of different colors. The surface of the knobs is rough and dull. It reminds me of a sintered porous metal bearing when you look at the texture of the knob. This will give traction for turning but I wonder about dirt getting into the pores of the surface. I squeezed the knob and it seems strong as it did not break. The knobs went on all right but did require a lot of force to get the volume knob all the way down so that the knob operated correctly. Be sure the knobs turn and depress before you tighten the 12 screws for the face plate to the control board and also check after.