2009 GT - Hiss from OEM Stereo

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
JPark

2009 GT - Hiss from OEM Stereo

Post by JPark »

I've had my 2009 GT for less than a week, so I'm still discovering new things about it. Today I discovered a hiss from the stereo that, once noticed, is really annoying. It's the OEM stereo so there shouldn't be any amp compatibility issues or ground issues. It's at a constant volume no matter how high or low I adjust the volume. It's there for all modes (FM, AM, XM, Aux).

Any ideas what's causing it or how to get rid of it?
RIP '06 Platinum Vibe--at 189k miles, you died too young
'09 Vibe GT--we're still getting acquainted
Zimm

Re: 2009 GT - Hiss from OEM Stereo

Post by Zimm »

i'd start by checking for snakes! :D
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
jolt

Post by jolt »

Front, back, left, or right? Which is better or worst? Use balance control in radio and move the sound to each speaker. Does the hiss no away?
JPark

Post by JPark »

jolt wrote:Front, back, left, or right? Which is better or worst? Use balance control in radio and move the sound to each speaker. Does the hiss no away?
Great question. I moved the balance and fade all over and it didn't make any difference. I put it all front right and I could still hear it equally well in each of the door speakers (not sure about the tweeters on the pillars) but not in the sub.

As an aside, I also managed to get my head stuck between my knees and the steering wheel while I frantically grasped for the door handle behind my back. I'm bookmarking that one to add to my highlight reel after I die.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Check the ground for the amp under the passenger seat. Grounds can come loose, or get damaged from someone shoving something under the seat.
2009 Vibe Base
JPark

Post by JPark »

MacGyver wrote:Check the ground for the amp under the passenger seat. Grounds can come loose, or get damaged from someone shoving something under the seat.
I poked around a bit and didn't see anything loose. I'll take a closer look after work. Is the ground part of one of the bundles or is it a separate wire? Can I take that box covering the amp off without snapping all those plastic fasteners?
jolt

Post by jolt »

2009 Vibe, all ground wires are WH/BK, meaning white wire with black strip and any bad ground can cause electrical noise in the system. Good luck.

Also need to add that some special shielded grounds are brown wires.