New battery = no audio

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Blanco_Diablo

New battery = no audio

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

I have had a decent amount of audio upgrades done over the years. Unfortunately, I am not well versed in auto electrical systems so I have paid installers to do things right. A recent dead battery was replaced by a third party with an Optima Yellow Top. However, the folks that replaced my battery seem to have re-hooked up my connections all wrong.

My head unit initially turned on but the volume control did not work, I could switch between the other features but none of them produced sound either. I promptly removed the detachable face. Today I tried again and now there is no power to the head unit whatsoever.

Thoughts on the best way to resolve this issue? I'm guessing I will have to find a local reputable audio place to take a look... Possible short due to a detached ground? Something else messing up the flow of the circuit?

Appreciate the time and any suggestions!
jolt

Re: New battery = no audio

Post by jolt »

Why was the battery replaced? What made the battery go dead? If electrical is installed correctly then there should be fuses added for all the added equipment. Remember, a blown fuse is not the problem but the result of a problem. Is your alternator good? Do you have a amp with a capacitor for bass speakers? A bad capacitor will eat up alternators, batteries, and can cause a dead short which will take out the fuse to the amp - then no sound.
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Battery was replaced because it was 7 years old, basic delco, nearly dry on the inside... time for a new one.

Guessing old age, there was a decent amount of corrosion built up though.

Not aware of any blown fuses initially (stereo powered on at first) but will check now as that could definitely be the case now. Assuming the fuse, if blown is a result of the battery guys improperly re-hooking everything up to my new battery as I have been running my projector headlights with HID fogs for over a year (and they still work fine) and current audio system multiple years with no electrical issues until battery replacement the other day.

Assuming alternator is fine, starts without issue with new battery, but again not well-versed in auto electrical so would need assistance to determine that.

No capacitor, running an Alpine PDX mono amp for the sub, arc audio 4 channel for the door speakers.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Just a thought, but does the radio have some type of security feature or need to be re-initialized after power is lost?

As an alternator quick test, not a full test by any means, you need a voltage meter. Hook up the volt meter at the battery and check the voltage, it should be around ~13 volts as the battery will have a surface change in it. Next, turn on the headlights and you should see the voltage drop to around 12 volts as the draw from the headlights takes the surface change off the battery. Leave the headlights on for 1 minute. The voltage should not drop below 11 volts. If it does you have to much load on the battery or the battery is weak. Next start the car up, turn off headlights, and the battery voltage should be up around 13 to 14.5 volts. The jump in voltage is the alternator working trying to charge the battery after being drained down some from the headlights being on. Not a through test but you do know the alternator is doing something and is not completely dead. Also switch voltage meter from DC to AC and check for AC voltage - there should be no AC voltage. Why AC - because a bad diode in the alternator can leak AC into the system and cause added wear and tear on electrical components.
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

No security feature, but good thought.

Had a local audio guy take a quick look... no anomalies on the voltage, no blown fuses... but apparently the install I had done 7 years ago (through a "supposed" legit local company, small business with tons of positive reviews) is a cluster F and some of those install issues are just now playing out. They also now have quite a few less positive feedback, ugh.

So it may be a total coincidence, stereo issues independent of battery replacement... or potentially the guys who swapped the battery toasted something on my HU.

I have definitely had a handful of issues stemming from that audio install, so I wouldn't doubt that it plays a key role in this current issue. I am going to save up a bit and try to find someone to double-check/re-install a few things. Good times!