Horn relay location

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
dvsail

Horn relay location

Post by dvsail »

2010 Vibe. The horn stopped working and there is no audible relay click. The fuse is good but where do I find the relay? Is anything else disabled when this relay is not working? :|
MacGyver

Re: Horn relay location

Post by MacGyver »

Nothing else is on the horn relay. Are you sure the horn still works? Have you tested for 12V at the horn when you try to sound it? What about triggering the panic button on your key?

I had a look at the engine compartment fuse box on my 09 there's no horn relay there. There is a panel with relays in the interior but it's buried behind the dash. You have to apply e-brake, shift into N, remove the radio, trim around the shifter, HVAC controls, and the storage bin above the shifter, then undo two screws at the bottom of the resulting hole in the dash, lifting up a panel to reveal the relays facing down underneath. I had to install a relay there for my fog light upgrade. There were some other relays already installed there, but I didn't check to see what they served.

There are also some other relays behind the coin tray.
Last edited by MacGyver on Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Vibe Base
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Check for corrosion on the connector that plugs into the horn. I had that problem on mine when I got it. I had to sandpaper the contact on the horn itself and put some plastic-safe grease (petroleum jelly would also work) to keep the water out.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
jolt

Post by jolt »

Check here:

http://matrixowners.com/index.php?/topi ... esnt-honk/

A Matrix and Vibe are basically the same. They both came down the same assembly line.

If you check the above link you would see "horn fuse and relay is in the fuse box next to the battery.".
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

jolt wrote:If you check the above link you would see "horn fuse and relay is in the fuse box next to the battery.".
On 1st gens it is, but on 2nd gen it is no longer located in that fuse box.
2009 Vibe Base
jolt

Post by jolt »

Here is some other info I found that may or may not help:

viewtopic.php?t=41838

This makes the most sense but still not sure. It makes the most sense because this puts the horn control out by or under the fuse box in the engine bay, which is where the fuse is at.

http://www.cheapestgmparts.com/pontiac/ ... horn-relay

This site says "Part can be found as reference #2 in illustration". Looks to be under dash by fuses but I know the horn fuse is in the fuse box in the engine compartment.