dashboard does not work

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
eiffingeri

dashboard does not work

Post by eiffingeri »

My 2003 Vibe does not show all the meters on dashboard except the engine check, door-close and break. Thus, I cannot see my speed, mileage, RPM, fuel...etc (see the attached).
I went to local GMC dealer and they check the cluster but cannot find the problem.They finally unplug the cluster and replug it. It works. But the technics told me that they don't know where is the problem and they don't guarantee how
long it can work (but spend labor and shop supplies $190, see the attached). If it happens again, I should replace the whole cluster and spend ~$600-700 (parts $4xx + labor $190) It stopped work after a few hours I leave the dealer (the same day).

Any suggestion for how to unplug and replug the cluster? (I wamma try if it works again and maybe I can put them together tighter?)
And do you suggest me go back to dealer to replace the parts?
Last edited by eiffingeri on Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacGyver

Re: dashboard does not work

Post by MacGyver »

2009 Vibe Base
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

You might want to call the dealer and see how much a cluster costs. Then compare that to what you can get on ebay.com or car-part.com

As the video MacGyver linked to shows it's really easy to remove the cluster, and replace it with a functioning one. You will just need to keep track of the mileage.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
eiffingeri

Post by eiffingeri »

Thanks MacGyver,

the video is pretty helpful. I will try to do it in the weekend.

SeattleJeremy,

The dealer said the part (not the cluster, they removed the cluster and wrote done the part #) is $4xx. They will need additional $190 for labor if I want to change it the next time I go.
Umm....based on the video, I can't image why they need 3-4 hours and charged me $190 ($170 labor + $20 shop supplies). It seems no more than 10 min. They spent me 4 hours there and $190, and the dashboard stopped work on the same day.
The information I need is the mileage, the engine temperature and the fuel.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Have you tried fiddling with the adjuster for the brightness for the gauges? Mine likes to get very dim once in a very great while, until mess with the adjustment dial to the left side of the steering wheel, then it comes back and works fine again.
2003 Vibe Base A/T