Installing Kenwood ddx9903s what else do I need?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
rrruschman

Installing Kenwood ddx9903s what else do I need?

Post by rrruschman »

Hi everyone I am new to this forum but been eyeing it for for a while since we have acquired 2 vibes. Been into Hondas for 30 years and fell across one of these and I love them so I bought a 2009 gt for a steal. So I am trying to figure what all I need to mount my aftermarket deck because I want to get rid of onstar and the factory stereo system which has the factory sub and amp along with seperates in front. Here is what I have so far, Kenwood ddx9903s deck and the polk 5000.5 amp. I need to purchase everything else still but I am confused on all the stereo harnesses to make this work as smooth as possible. I am taking the whole interior out and putting down insulation mat plus matting the doors and hatch too. I am also installing new speaker wire for the doors and subwoofer that are larger and for a 4ohm system. But it is the wiring for eliminating onstar and maintaining my steering wheel controls, plus wiring from deck to factory plugins thats confusing.
MacGyver

Re: Installing Kenwood ddx9903s what else do I need?

Post by MacGyver »

2009 Vibe Base
rrruschman

Post by rrruschman »

Thanks Mac but that looks like single din and my new deck is double din. Not worried about finding the dash mount that part is easy, its getting the correct harness adapter kit that confuses me with so many out there for gm.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

I used the metal OEM mounts off the OEM deck when I installed my new double-DIN Kenwood. If somebody tries stealing my radio, they're gonna be in for a big surprise. I did have to buy a whole dash kit though just to get the plastic finish ring to make it look pretty.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

rrruschman wrote:Thanks Mac but that looks like single din and my new deck is double din.
Just throw the bottom bin away and it's a double DIN kit. That's exactly what I bought for my 2009. I don't have an amp, so my install was much easier, so I'm not sure what harness you'll need. Are you planning to reuse the wiring going to the factory amp you want to replace?

Getting rid of OnStar is easy, just disconnect two plugs from the OnStar module under the driver's seat, or pull the MAYDAY fuse from the fuse box under the hood.
2009 Vibe Base
samsonite

Post by samsonite »

If you search Vibe radio wiring diagram on google you'll find some helpful images of what color wires goes where.

Also, make sure you get the Scosche brand dash kit if they make one that is double din. The other manufacturer that makes install kits for our cars is subpar, at least the single DIN one is... I made the mistake of not buying a Scosche off the bat