Question regarding factory head units

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
ImN3XU5

Question regarding factory head units

Post by ImN3XU5 »

I recently purchased a 2004 Vibe AWD, and I decided to put a JVC unit in my car (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_905KWR910B ... html?cc=01). My dad, he owns a 2003 Vibe GT that he's had for 3+ years now. It has the fancier DVD nav head unit from the factory installed in it, but the screen doesn't turn on and the radio functionality is static noise.

My brother, who I should add wants the 2003, decided to put the factory HU from my 2004 (the standard HU as shown in this photo here: http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/imag ... mage-1.jpg) into my dad's 2003. The installation went fine and the radio is no longer static noise, which is great!

A few days after installing the unit, I needed to move the car so my brother could clean it out (he doesn't have a license, and I'm 1 of 2 people in the household who can drive stick), but as soon as I put it in reverse, the fan stopped putting out air, the dashboard dials turned off, the cabin beeper for reverse stopped beeping, and the windows were no longer going down. Now with it being 80+ degrees F here, and the car being all black, it was extremely hot inside, so I moved it back into the driveway and left it there for a few days.

A few days later, my dad goes out and sees that the 10 amp fuse that controls the dials, windows, and cabin air was blown, so he replaced it with a new 10 amp fuse. We started it up and it was working again. Until I went to move it again, I didn't even get it all the way in to the reverse gear and everything cut out again.

We have not verified it yet, but we believe the fuse blew again. This all started after my factory HU from the 2004 was installed. My brother has put the original DVD nav HU back, but has not replaced the fuse to test, but we believe this could all be tied to the 2004 HU having a security light on the unit (as seen in the picture linked above, its the little red light under the screen), and the 2003 GT having a security light next to the hatch-window-open button under the mirror controls.

I'm now here today to ask if any of you would have any possible reasons as to why this is happening. From what I've read online, it seems it could also be a short in the circuitry for the reverse lights, but I find it unlikely as this all started after we changed the HU. Let me know what you all think, we're willing to try almost anything to get the 2004 HU installed and working properly in the 2003. Thanks!
treesleavedents

Re: Question regarding factory head units

Post by treesleavedents »

I have a working factory navigation head unit for sale if you want.
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

treesleavedents wrote:I have a working factory navigation head unit for sale if you want.
I wouldn't be the one buying it, but out of curiosity, how much are you asking?
trb

Post by trb »

Security light is bogus on these cars, so that has nothing to do with it. I swapped the same stock radio from my son's 06 into my 03 GT with the nav and DVD changer since my nav screen was dead too, and it works perfectly, even using the changer for CDs. Did he mess with any wiring when he swapped units? Everything should have been plug and play. Most likely there is a shorted out wire somewhere in the dash or something.

But come to think about it, I had to disconnect my back up lights from the switch on the transmission to keep from blowing the fuse that controls the back up lights and the reverse beep. I don't know if there is something relating to the lights and the radio, but that is a possibility. I'll have to check on it and see if the fuse still blows when I put the car in reverse, if the radio is disconnected.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

trb wrote:Security light is bogus on these cars, so that has nothing to do with it. I swapped the same stock radio from my son's 06 into my 03 GT with the nav and DVD changer since my nav screen was dead too, and it works perfectly, even using the changer for CDs. Did he mess with any wiring when he swapped units? Everything should have been plug and play. Most likely there is a shorted out wire somewhere in the dash or something.

But come to think about it, I had to disconnect my back up lights from the switch on the transmission to keep from blowing the fuse that controls the back up lights and the reverse beep. I don't know if there is something relating to the lights and the radio, but that is a possibility. I'll have to check on it and see if the fuse still blows when I put the car in reverse, if the radio is disconnected.
I would assume it would be a short in the dash then, what cables would be back behind the head unit that could short and blow that fuse?
treesleavedents

$250 shipped to your door. Check around ebay and used parts retailers, I think the price is pretty fair.

Here are the pictures. http://imgur.com/a/4Vmi7

edit: will come with the navigation disc as well.
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

treesleavedents wrote:$250 shipped to your door. Check around ebay and used parts retailers, I think the price is pretty fair.

Here are the pictures. http://imgur.com/a/4Vmi7

edit: will come with the navigation disc as well.
Just talked to my dad about it and he said he would give $50, which obviously is much lower than your price and prices on eBay, so I think we'll pass on that.
treesleavedents

haha, yea sadly they're worth more...
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

treesleavedents wrote:haha, yea sadly they're worth more...
Yeah, I think that's because so few cars had them. Its great for people selling them but kinda sucks for people looking to buy one like that. I think if they were to buy a replacement HU, they would just get something similar to what I bought for my Vibe. So far, I really like it too, great value for $100.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

treesleavedents wrote:haha, yea sadly they're worth more...
If I recall correctly, it was only a $1600 option when new. ;) Or somewhere around there. So yeah, probably worth more. :D

A huge chunk of change for an option on an economy car so that option was rather rare.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
DecentVibe

Post by DecentVibe »

treesleavedents wrote:I have a working factory navigation head unit for sale if you want.
Will your GPS Nav unit plug and play in an 03 that originally came with the 6 CD changer? Is the GPS Nav unit a single CD player? Thanks.
'03 Vibe AWD, Monotone Abyss, Moon and Tunes, Factory Body Kit, Sunroof
treesleavedents

The nav system has a single CD player in the head unit for the navigation DVD. It also has a 6 disc changer that is located under the passenger seat.

I don't know if it would be plug and play for a car that wasn't originally equipped.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Unless the GPS maps can be upgraded for free still (which is unlikely), I wouldn't want one of the factory ones, but that's just me.

Highways and interchanges have changed a lot in many places in the past 13 years, in addition to new roads and freeways, highways converted to freeways, etc.
2003 Vibe Base A/T