UGH! XM module, Onstar...

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions

UGH! XM module, Onstar...

Post by 11142007 »

Can someone help I am wanting to locate the XM factory module on my 2010 vibe.

I qualified for an upgrade to my onstar module the new one I got installed has the LTE/wifi with it however after 2 trips to the Chevrolet dealer it still doesn't work! The mechanic told me there is a problem with the "high speed line" and the odb tool will not update or activate the onstar module due to this, he said it could take hours of ripping the dash apart to locate the problem :( he also said that this is the reason my XM radio will not work either!

So I am looking to locate the XM factory module in hopes of tracing the lines back to see if there are any tears etc
MacGyver

Re: UGH! XM module, Onstar...

Post by MacGyver »

The only thing I can suggest is to trace back from the rear of the radio where the XM connects. I would trace it on mine, but my 2009 Vibe doesn't have XM.
2009 Vibe Base
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

11142007 wrote:Can someone help I am wanting to locate the XM factory module on my 2010 vibe.
I believe this sketch should help you out! Good luck :D Open up a new post and introduce yourself with pics of your Vibe & location. We could be close enough to you to personally help you out! Welcome to GenVibe!

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

I was doing some reading in prep for my upcoming HU install and this thread claims the XM module is behind the passenger quarter panel. I take that to mean the rear of the vehicle in the trunk area.

viewtopic.php?t=37892
2009 Vibe Base
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

MacGyver wrote:I was doing some reading in prep for my upcoming HU install and this thread claims the XM module is behind the passenger quarter panel. I take that to mean the rear of the vehicle in the trunk area.
My fault for not reading the post correctly :o Yes, pass side rear quarter panel. It can be seen in these two photos.

This second one is rotated 90' so it is misleading as to it's location.

Post by 11142007 »

Thanks for the help guys, I was unable to find the XM tuner even after removing the quarter panel, according to my mechanic the vehicle does have XM so I am stumped. There are two connectors behind there (the quarter panel) not connected to anything just hanging there, and also behind the glove compartment there is a connector not plugged into anything just hanging there.

I got the car wholesale 3 months ago for 4,000CAD according to the car facts it was in an accident in the amount of 4,000 although it doesn't have a rebuilt title so maybe a wire somewhere got cut.

The same mechanic does my work after he gets off work at the local chev dealer and said he would help locate the issue without paying the big bucks at the dealer.

Now my question to myself is, is it worth the hassle or should I take the "sign" that its not meant to be

Post by 11142007 »

Here is a pic of the two connectors behind the rear quarter panel

https://imageshack.us/i/po3eHjlej
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

The XM module and the entire bracket clearly visible in Tim's pic is missing on your pic. No scratches or anything so it looks like it was never there. I would say either your car didn't come with XM after all (likely), or they changed the location for it on 2010s without documenting it (unlikely). According to this post: viewtopic.php?t=33747 XM was an option in Canada, whereas it was standard in the US. Sounds like you have a Canadian Vibe with the XM-less base radio.
Image  Image
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Rayven01 wrote: it looks like it was never there. I would say either your car didn't come with XM after all (likely), or they changed the location for it on 2010s without documenting it
Totally agree. I don't see it anywhere in the pic and even the wiring harness is missing. Was likely never there in the first place.

Post by 11142007 »

I was thinking the same thing and reading it from you guys confirmed that, I went to see him (mechanic) tonight and he just kind of shrugged it off so I don't think he really is interested in helping me find the root of the problem.

It's unfortunate as I was really looking forward to the new onstar upgrade, the new module is already in the car and everything is ready to go it just needs to be activated via the odb port in the car which can't be done due to the "high speed" line and I don't have $1000 or more for the dealer to take their time finding the issue.

He did tell me it was a "light green" line is what I need to be looking for but I already broke clips of pieces taking things apart :( I am stumped as to what to do next