Radio display out

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
WestC4

Radio display out

Post by WestC4 »

Well the display on my 08 base vibe went out. No moon n tunes, radio still works just won't display time or stations. Is this repairable?
Thanks for your answers
vibrologist

Re: Radio display out

Post by vibrologist »

Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

It's a common problem and fixable.
viewtopic.php?t=26889

If you listen to anything besides the radio though I highly recommend replacing the stock unit. It's very easy to replace, especially since you don't have M&T. $100 stereos today have usb input, Bluetooth, good sound. Crutchfield is best for a beginner b/c they'll tell you what fits, throw in the wiring, and send an install guide for free.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Seconding sideshowalan's opinion of the stock unit. It was a dinosaur even in 2003 due to lack of AUX. It doesn't even have a cassette player to make up for its limitations! ;)

But seriously, an AUX plug or USB input would be better, and they don't skip going over bumps when it's cold. You'd get access to a much bigger variety and might not have as many issues with file formatting. I even have an old Sony unit I could send you (I upgraded to an in-dash tablet setup).
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

Thanks for the answers y'all. I been looking at replacing the head unit for awhile, but thought bout just fixin the display if it was easy enough. I'd like to go with a whole new unit. Agreed that crutchfield is the way to go, used them before several times, great results.

Never have seen a tablet head unit type though, sounds pretty cool
dmottv

Post by dmottv »

I replaced my first one with a unit installed by Best Buy. The PO fixed my second one before I bought it with bulbs from Radio Shack and it works great. He said it was pretty easy.
'09 AWD 2.4 "Mystique"
'O5 AWD "Grey Fox"
'05 FWD "Silver Surfer"