Anyone else have horn blade connector corrosion problems?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
BenWA

Anyone else have horn blade connector corrosion problems?

Post by BenWA »

My horn has stopped working again. What I did to fix it the first time was sandpaper the blade contact on the horn itself. However after driving in lots of rain since, it's stopped working again. I guess I need to pack it with grease or vasoline and wrap it in electrical tape to help keep the rain out.

Does anyone else have that same issue?
2003 Vibe Base A/T
Derf

Re: Anyone else have horn blade connector corrosion problems?

Post by Derf »

Most of the connectors on the Vibe are copper that is tinned. The tin protects the copper, heavily sanding removes this finish allowing corrosion and weather to affect the connection. If you see any copper on the connector, you can try to put a thin layer of solder on the connector to help prevent corrosion. Cleaning and packing the connection with dielectric grease will work, not sure about the long term affects of Vaseline on any exposed plastics or wire jacketing. With dielectric grease, tape should not be needed. If the connector is loose, you can use pliers to gently crimp the socket to create a tighter fit.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
BenWA

Re: Anyone else have horn blade connector corrosion problems?

Post by BenWA »

Derf wrote:Most of the connectors on the Vibe are copper that is tinned. The tin protects the copper, heavily sanding removes this finish allowing corrosion and weather to affect the connection. If you see any copper on the connector, you can try to put a thin layer of solder on the connector to help prevent corrosion. Cleaning and packing the connection with dielectric grease will work, not sure about the long term affects of Vaseline on any exposed plastics or wire jacketing. With dielectric grease, tape should not be needed. If the connector is loose, you can use pliers to gently crimp the socket to create a tighter fit.
It was already corroded when I got it, I could tell when I inspected it. Prior to that, I could unplug it and plug it back in to get it to temporarily work, then it would totally stop until I unplugged and plugged it back in. Using a bit of sandpaper has given months of service before it started fouling up. It's actually working again now without me touching it, so I don't know what the deal was the other day. Maybe it's a screwy connection that comes and goes as it's starring to corrode again.

I'll try electric grease.
2003 Vibe Base A/T