Help? Maybe y'all gurus know?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Demonicvibe

Help? Maybe y'all gurus know?

Post by Demonicvibe »

I have a 2003 Pontiac Vibe the stereo domt work and the interior lights key fob will not work and now my dash lights are starting to go out they come on the dash lights come on when I start the car and I'll stay on for about a minute and then go off soon but have any ideas on how to fix this issue.
2003 Pontiac vibe lava red on 17s
Life is too short to drive an automatic
sideshowalan

Re: Help? Maybe y'all gurus know?

Post by sideshowalan »

Does the car start and drive OK?
Lights and radio stopping soon after starting sounds like a failing alternator, but it would cause the car to stall out too.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
Demonicvibe

Post by Demonicvibe »

No the car drives fine.
2003 Pontiac vibe lava red on 17s
Life is too short to drive an automatic
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe Demon man. Just curious as to the mileage on this Vibe. Do you have any history of what was done to it in it's past 12-13 years? Has the transmission been replaced yet? Good luck with these minor electrical issues and keep us posted as to what you find
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Mark

Post by Mark »

Kinda sounds like a bad ground.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
jolt

Post by jolt »

I think Mark has it right - a bad ground. That is one of the things all these parts have in common. It looks like voltage is back feeding through to other systems to try and find a ground.

When you open the rear hatch or rear hatch window, does the the rear interior light come on?

You are going to have to get a wiring diagram for your car and a voltmeter to start tracing each wire out that is involved to find where the broken wire, bad ground, or bad component is at. That is why shops get paid by the hour to trouble shoot these kind of problems.