Won an auction for an Android head unit!

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
BenWA

Won an auction for an Android head unit!

Post by BenWA »

I spotted a fairly low priced auction about to end in 2 minutes for an Android head unit with Android 4, 1.6 quad 4 and 16GB internal storage, so I took a chance... and won it by about $5 under my max bid. I got it for close to half the price of similar spec'd units; $172.50 :mrgreen: I put it on PayPal credit with 6 months no interest. Seeing as how I'm currently making higher payments than that on a new PC I built a few months ago (financed the same way), it'll take one month to pay that off, before the 6 months is up and the compiled interest of 6 months kicks in.

The ended listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Din-7-Qu ... 7675.l2557

Their delivery time shows 2-5 days from Hong Kong to WA state. It'll be interesting to see if that holds true. I went back and selected Mexico just to see what it would show, and it estimates 14-30 days to there, so they must be using some kind of cheap express air mail to the US.

It'll require a $9 install kit from ebay to fill in the extra space to the sides but that's not bad. I already have the aftermarket stereo install harness I got for $1 at a thrift store so... yeah! The stereo may end up getting here before the dash kit, if the 2-5 days is true.

EDIT: Actually it was about $50 less, not half price. The same seller has them with a backup camera for $230 "Buy It Now". Not like I need a backup camera in a Vibe anyway, so it was a great deal at $172.50 IMO. :)

EDIT 2: I found the same unit on Amazon, $280!!! It has 5/5 stars from 6 reviews: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0151K ... 1_4&sr=8-4
2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Re: Won an auction for an Android head unit!

Post by BenWA »

I ordered this dash install kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361202928558?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

It cost another $8, but I ordered an ISO male wire harness: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221180761426?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

You might ask "Why?!?!?!". It's because the stereo comes with an ISO to stereo adapter. I don't want to CUT IT and then if the unit is bad, have them blame me for damaging it by cutting the harness wires, and refuse to honor warranty. So it's a way to avoid potential warranty issues. I still have to splice the ISO adapter to the Vibe harness adapter but that's fine. I'll just have a mess of harness adapters stuffed in behind. :lol:
2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

The head unit and the DIN connectors both came today, so I hooked it up to a temporary AC/DC 12V/4A power adapter so I can get it set up with apps and all before I install it. This way I don't have to idle the car for hours or risk running down the battery. Plus my WIFI doesn't reach the parking lot so I'd have to go someplace else for WIFI. My home WIFI is super fast anyway so yeah.

It has the Pontiac logo already in it for the startup screen. :mrgreen:

2003 Vibe Base A/T
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

Looks good. You should do a video review of the unit and post it when you get a chance. I keep getting cold feet on taking the android head unit plunge because I'm always reading stuff about glitchy software, little to no support for apps, unresponsive touchscreens, and a very convoluted solution for getting a map app to run properly without paying extra for tethering or a second wifi...
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

The screen is very responsive on this one. I haven't even removed the protective film from the screen yet and it has zero problems. There are a number of deep settings you have to change since it was made in China and it's configured for there radio wise, time zone wise, etc.

Some software (from Google Play) has bugs related to the unit's custom ROM, never letting you override landscape mode, even with a screen orientation override app installed and activated. HERE maps settings won't show up when you enter them from "maps" mode. I found a way around it though. If you go to "driving" mode where it looks all dark blue (instead of white like maps) and swipe up the screen from the bottom, you get another place to enter a different settings interface, and that one works fine in landscape mode. It's a matter of bad programming of HERE maps, and not the unit itself. (I reported the bug to HERE maps tech support replied just saying they don't support the head unit. Gee, thanks. They don't care their software is bugged for people who may use it the most) A few other programs have had similar issues, where the coder wrote it for portrait mode of phones only. The same bug happens on my phone and tablet when I use an app to force HERE maps into landscape mode, so it's HERE maps, not the head unit itself.

I ended up winning an auction for a Sprint 4G coverage hotspot I kind of didn't want, but it WAS a good price. Plus the data never expires. Yeah, you don't have to routinely add more data. 1GB costs $25, but if it lasts me 5 months? It might be handy for road trips and it can be stashed in the glove box with a USB charging cable led to it. I might just resell it on ebay though. As "buy it now" with an actual photo of it, instead of a stock photo, they tend to sell for quite a bit more in new condition than I paid for it.

I put a hotspot app on my Android Tracfone for "emergencies" too. I doubt they'd be able to tell since the software accessing the internet from the head unit would be tell user-agent sniffing tracking that it's Android software, and the type of data flow would be identical. I disabled automatic app updates, since it would be "WIFI" to the head unit and it would want to download gobs of stuff without caring about the phone's data bucket. I honestly doubt I'll ever need that but you never know.

I'm glad I bothered to go pay $3 for this 12V/4A AC/DC adapter considering how much time I have spent setting it up and finding software for it. I rarely buy Android software but I did buy this one last night ($3.06). It looks good and lets you add any apps to the home screen. Plus it can be set as your default launchet, so when you hit the physical "Home" button, it takes you to it. Maybe there is something better for free but this one was cheap and looks good. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... r.motorcar

Sadly it lacks universal music controls on it though. The option it does give for controls is ONLY for "PowerAmp", a non-free mp3 player. I find the build in mp3 player is best due to the fact that it knows to resume playing the next time you turn the unit on (start the car). It seems to last actual playlist ability loading/saving though and only goes by folder play, which is kind of crappy, but folder play is OK by me.

I did find that you MUST insert an SD card into it's GPS slot **BEFORE** you put data on it, or it'll do a quick format and place 2 relatively empty folders on it, if it don't see them. I spent a lot of time putting mp3s on a 32GB MicroSD card (that turns out to be bad, through no fault of the head unit, I suspected the card was bad before the unit arrived) only to have it quick format it. If I have those folders ("/Android/Data" and "LOST.DIR"), it doesn't do it when I insert it. Sadly, I have *TWO* generic (no-name) 32GB MIcroSD cards that are bad now. Thankfully I have a 4GB SanDisk one that is good. I'll use that for a small collection of MP3s until I can spare another $10 for another name brand MicroSD card like I have in my phone (GSkill) and dash cam (SanDisk). The price on them will only continue to drop so no big hurry unless I want my entire MP3 collection with me.

There is a front mini-USB input (comes with an OTG cable) for using a flash drive. There are two rear USB inputs as well, so you can add twoi extra 32GB Flash Drives to the rear of the unit for even more media storage, if you wanted to.

One nice thing about the custom ROM is that it DOES let you "move to SD" without rooting/workarounds. The "Device" storage is 1GB but it's easy to keep it around 50% usage when using "Move to SD", which seems to move it to the "Internal Storage", which is approximately 12GB NAND flash (of the 16GB total in the unit). Then it also has a front access MicroSD card slot (32GB Max) labeled as "GPS", both on the unit itself and in the software, bt you can put any sort of media on the card (mp3, video, photos, etc) but again, make sure you insert it into the unit first and have the mandatory folders, or it'll wipe the card instantly to place the folders. Attaching USB flash drives doesn't have this problem, but unmounting a USB flash drive may make the unit crash/reboot itself, then hang at the loading screen (in my case, the Pontiac logo). Then you have to use a paperclip to press and relase the "RST" button, then press and release the volume control to manually turn it on again. Then it'll be fine, no harm done. It's little buggy yes, but it's also dirt cheap vs name brand ones. One would assume you wont be constantly attaching and removing USB drives anyway. The biggest issue I have is if you soft "reset" it with the paper clip/button, it goes back to 24hr clock mode. For some reason, it doesn't save that setting in NAND flash. But hopefully I won't have to do that much once I get everything how I want it and switch from testing various apps to using stable apps, and not testing plugging in and unmounting things from the rear USB ports that I won't have easy access to anyway, unless I add USB extension cables ... which I may,. for flash drive music storage!

Plus it seems to dislike you unmounting the card even if no apps are on it. It acts like it breaks some of the apps moved to SD. A soft reset is needed. I have actually yet to try the reset button it has (requires a paper clip) since I have it on an AC/DC adapter set up where both power leads (constant/ignition) are tied together, so I just turn it off (which is more like standby) then unplug it. But you won't want to constantly unhook your car battery, so reset would be better. I'll try that next time I guess if I need to.

The back light color of the physical buttons can be changed to any color with the "Elements" app it comes with, so you can match it up with the Vibe's red gauges.

There is a non-free launcher I got has reddish theme too:

HERE Maps in map mode, set to offline (gives full navigation if you download the required maps (by state/region) and guidance/voices):

The blue settings area in HERE maps that works in landscape mode:

The radio app it comes with:

The "Music" app it comes with (note how it says "GPS", due to using the GPS microSD slot)
Last edited by BenWA on Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Oh by the way, mine is a "Eonon" GA2114 despite it not being listed as such on ebay. The initial the startup screen (from a cold boot/soft reset) before the Pontiac logo shows a (crappy) Eonon logo.

If you want the dash cam and an 8GB GPS card with who knows what app, they have the unit for $229 directly: https://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/Android-C ... A2114.html

I like mine fine for ~$60 less with my own standalone dash cam and HERE maps.

The dash kit came in the mail today.... so now I can install it whenever I get around to it.

2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

DAMNIT, the kit doesn't fit the stereo by any means. :x

I already broke tabs for assembly so it's only good for a Vibe/Matrix now.

EDIT: After much work grinding and filing the install kit, I made the head unit fit through it. Yes, it looks a bit hacky but it beats having to put the unit BEHIND the kit. now it can poke through.

Neither the head unit nor the install kit came with screws to fit the head unit, to mount it to the install kit! I found one in my box of screws and it looks to be find thread metric. I'll take it in to Ace hardware and find which it is exactly.

Before (mostly; I had filed it some on one side) and after:

2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

treesleavedents wrote:Looks good. You should do a video review of the unit and post it when you get a chance. I keep getting cold feet on taking the android head unit plunge because I'm always reading stuff about glitchy software, little to no support for apps, unresponsive touchscreens, and a very convoluted solution for getting a map app to run properly without paying extra for tethering or a second wifi...
While it's not a review, here's a real time video demo of it (except one part I cut out of the middle) showing HERE maps offline navigation, and general use of the device. The first time, I picked Disney World (over 2700 miles) and it was taking forever to load so I canceled that and looked up Disneyland instead (1200 miles). It was set to OFFLINE maps/navigation use in the demo so you'll see how well it works without using any internet.

The device itself was connected to my WIFI, but nothing I show in the video used it.

It takes about 20-25 seconds to boot from a cold boot/reset, as you'll see. The company logo screen didn't stay up long on this boot though for some odd reason. But normally that stays up 3-5 seconds before the loading picture (Pontiac logo) comes up.

https://youtu.be/_5pC8KsshDA
2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Phew, that was lucky. Be VERY careful about the lower threaded screw holes on these units. It has stickers over 2 places telling you not to put screws in those holes BUT there is third spot that has a board not too far in. I don't think i damaged it (doesn't look to be). I already wired/soldered/insulated the harness for installation in the car, so I can't double check it right now, but using a bright light I can see in the hole and the board's surface components don't look damaged. I used a mismatched shorter one I already had instead of the 3/4" ones I got. I also used washers to help prevent the slightly bending plastic install kit from breaking. Oh and screws needed on this one are 10-32, not metric.

I had to use a scrap piece of wire to extend the illumination wire since the ISO harness that came with the head unit lacks that wire. The male ISO side (center section) I got from ebay has it as you'll see but not the stereo to ISO harness (the harness section on the far right).

The finished harness. Yeah it's a mile long but oh well. Hopefully it'll all fit in the dash. If not, I'll be redoing it as short as possible. Looking at it now, I should have just cut off the blue connector (32pin) since that's the one I probably don't need. I'd be left with cutoff cables I'd have to warp up though, due to the way they are wired together currently. If not for only paying $1 for that harness with the , I'd have just ordered one with ONLY the grey one for $5 on ebay.

....hmm, I just realized I missed one. The "power antenna" one. I was ignoring that, thinking it was for a motorized antenna that raises and lowers when the stereo is powered up, like on an 03 Ford Taurus wagon I had does. But nope, it's an antenna amp connector! Well ok, I'll do a patch cable section for that too. Better I found that out now than after installation.

I will probably get it put in tomorrow.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

I got the install done this morning. The super long cable harness fit in fine. There's tons of space back there. I just tucked it down behind the AC controls. The new, but open package harness kit I got for $1 had the antenna adapter as well, so it's connected to the stereo.

Here is a video of it powering up (cold boot) and operating. This time you get to hear it. In the demo video I did before, it didn't have any speakers so I edited out the audio of ambient noise. https://youtu.be/SQccQzlQ3gA

I forgot to download the Google Voice commands for offline use and I don't have any working WIFI where the car is parked right now, so I'll do it later. Due to that, I couldn't test the external microphone's pickup ability. I mounted it between the gauges and the vent. The cable tucks behind the bezel trim fine. The trim isn't loose at all, nor is the cable being pinched too badly.

2003 Vibe Base A/T
MrWhoopee

Post by MrWhoopee »

BenWA wrote: Oh and screws needed on this one are 10-32, not metric.
That hole was tapped M5x.8. The two sizes are so close as to be nearly indistinguishable, #10 being .007 in. smaller. An M5 screw may not fit in a 10-32 nut, but a 10-32 will always fit an M5.
Craig
'06 Matrix Base AWD
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

So, is there any advantage to having an Adroid powered head unit? I'm not looking to replace my Kenwood, but just curious why you would choose this over a std. HU.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

SlammedNiss wrote:So, is there any advantage to having an Adroid powered head unit? I'm not looking to replace my Kenwood, but just curious why you would choose this over a std. HU.
Plenty, if you want Android. It can do mp3s, navigation, ODB2 (if you get a $10-20 ODB2 to Bluetooth adapter) and almost any app for Android. If all you want is mp3s and maybe Bluetooth also, a cheap one with or without a CD player is probably all you need.

I think single DIN in double DIN looks terrible however. Nothing screams "cheap aftermarket replacement" than a gaping hole ("compartment") under a single DIN stereo. If that's all you want and need and don't want to spent $150 more than I did, then by all means go for it. But if it was me and I wanted only a basic stereo, I'd at least get a double DIN so it fills in the space better, even if they cost more than twice as much. But it comes down to what you want to spend on your car's entertainment unit. Mine is also utility since it can do navigation and ODB2<->Bluetooth once I get the adapter.

Basic Single DIN units:
$19: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Car-Stereo-A ... 1740894387
$20: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Radio-Stere ... 2052525631
$22 w/ Bluetooth: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Stereo-Audi ... 1797926966

Basic Double DIN units:
$55: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Soundstream ... 1490874527
$74: http://www.ebay.com/itm/822UA-320-Watt- ... 2098946930
$76: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Acoustik- ... 1669295122

You can get Double DIN ones with a touch screen (but no Android) for under $100; but then you have a big touch screen and not much to show for it. It makes it look better than it really is.
$85: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Acoustik- ... 1814133923
$95: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIOTEK-AT-VD6 ... 1880193969

One reason I liked the Vibe when I was car shopping was the large double DIN height stereo opening up high, unlike some cars that have the stereo down low, behind the shifter. So I was Android head unit browsing before I even had the car.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

That boot time is brutal. I've thought a lot about Android in the car. It seems like Android Auto is the way to go now, but I think there's still a market for full Android. The problem is booting, though. You could get around that by building a lithium ion battery into the system, and dropping it to sleep mode when the car is turned off. That way it could go days before actually shutting down and having to reboot. Still not really ideal, though. This particular implementation seems like it leaves a lot to be desired, but it's fun to tinker with. There are also people who install a tablet like a Nexus 7 right into the dashboard, which isn't a bad idea. If you don't care about radio or CD, you could just wire it directly to an amplifier.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

MrWhoopee wrote:
BenWA wrote: Oh and screws needed on this one are 10-32, not metric.
That hole was tapped M5x.8. The two sizes are so close as to be nearly indistinguishable, #10 being .007 in. smaller. An M5 screw may not fit in a 10-32 nut, but a 10-32 will always fit an M5.
Ahhh. I used a screw I had in my misc and went to a hardware store to find the thread size, rather than taking the unit into the store and trying to find what fit. I used their "find the threads" thing and it didn't fit the first few metric ones I tried. Then I tried 10-32 and it was a perfect match, so I got them. The screws were 10 cents a piece that way. The washers were 5 cents a piece. Specialty metric size ones would have been probably been a lot more expensive. I got 8 just in case since the store was across town, but ended up using only 4. They hand threaded in perfectly without any resistance, but they screwed down tightly without stripping or cross threading.
kumquat wrote:That boot time is brutal. I've thought a lot about Android in the car. It seems like Android Auto is the way to go now, but I think there's still a market for full Android. The problem is booting, though. You could get around that by building a lithium ion battery into the system, and dropping it to sleep mode when the car is turned off. That way it could go days before actually shutting down and having to reboot. Still not really ideal, though. This particular implementation seems like it leaves a lot to be desired, but it's fun to tinker with. There are also people who install a tablet like a Nexus 7 right into the dashboard, which isn't a bad idea. If you don't care about radio or CD, you could just wire it directly to an amplifier.
Huh? It's not bad at all. It's cold boot is faster than any Android device I've ever had. That's completely cold (totally turned off) boot. You can set it to stay in a standby mode for up to 5 minutes I think, where it'll shut off the screen but not be totally turned off. Then it'll be a matter of a few seconds to come back. Mine is set to 30 seconds of standby right now (default), but I might change it. But 35 seconds to cold boot is not that big of a deal, to me anyway. It takes a lot longer than that to get out of a parking space sometimes with other drivers, as well as pedestrians, who yield for nothing.

The MP3 player it comes with (which is what I am using in the video) resumes playback after a cold boot so you don't even have to touch it. Radio should do the same. The radio and mp3 apps it comes with know not to interfere with each other's playback so they only play one or the other, as I demonstrate in the video.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

It might boot faster than most Android devices, but my JVC head unit with navigation, backup camera, etc., boots in about 4-5 seconds. Waiting 20+ seconds to hear music or navigate every time you turn your car on would drive me nuts. That's one of the reasons I waited so long to get an HU with nav and backup camera.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

kumquat wrote:It might boot faster than most Android devices, but my JVC head unit with navigation, backup camera, etc., boots in about 4-5 seconds. Waiting 20+ seconds to hear music or navigate every time you turn your car on would drive me nuts. That's one of the reasons I waited so long to get an HU with nav and backup camera.
If I had spent more I could have gotten the backup camera but do I really need it in such a small car? No. After having a 20ft camper van with a 90% blind on the right side and pretty much 100% in the back and not having a backup camera (but having a Wolo backup alarm), anything smaller is a cake walk.

Can the maps be updated on a JVC unit? If so, how? That's one thing that concerned me about those completely offline units. If you have to replace the head unit every 1-2 years to get updated maps, then no way would I buy one.

Why would you need instant navigation when you are starting the car after 5 minutes (if set that way in the standby settings)? Surely you know which way to turn back out of where you are. I suppose I could see how lack of instant music would be mildly irritating but really, you can't live without music for 30 seconds? Talk about an extreme case of hurry sickness!

Seeing as how it took me ~30 seconds to pull out my phone, plug in the 3.5mm cable, unlock my phone, go to music and start the player every time I got back in the car, 30 seconds without doing anything is nothing. Start the car first then put on your seat belt, get comfortable, adjust the AC/heater settings if needed, and by the time you check your mirrors to back up, you'll have music/nav.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

BenWA wrote:
kumquat wrote:It might boot faster than most Android devices, but my JVC head unit with navigation, backup camera, etc., boots in about 4-5 seconds. Waiting 20+ seconds to hear music or navigate every time you turn your car on would drive me nuts. That's one of the reasons I waited so long to get an HU with nav and backup camera.
If I had spent more I could have gotten the backup camera but do I really need it in such a small car? No. After having a 20ft camper van with a 90% blind on the right side and pretty much 100% in the back and not having a backup camera (but having a Wolo backup alarm), anything smaller is a cake walk.

Can the maps be updated on a JVC unit? If so, how? That's one thing that concerned me about those completely offline units. If you have to replace the head unit every 1-2 years to get updated maps, then no way would I buy one.

Why would you need instant navigation when you are starting the car after 5 minutes (if set that way in the standby settings)? Surely you know which way to turn back out of where you are. I suppose I could see how lack of instant music would be mildly irritating but really, you can't live without music for 30 seconds? Talk about an extreme case of hurry sickness!

Seeing as how it took me ~30 seconds to pull out my phone, plug in the 3.5mm cable, unlock my phone, go to music and start the player every time I got back in the car, 30 seconds without doing anything is nothing. Start the car first then put on your seat belt, get comfortable, adjust the AC/heater settings if needed, and by the time you check your mirrors to back up, you'll have music/nav.
You win, 25 second boot up time is no problemo at all.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

kumquat wrote:You win, 25 second boot up time is no problemo at all.
In case you'd like to know, I checked the standby settings today and you can set it for as long as 2 hours maximum. The increments are something like:

30 secs
1 min
5 min
10 min
30 min
1 hour
2 hours

I don't know what kind of juice it pulls in standby, so I'd probably want it set to no more than 10 minutes probably, unless you have an Optima battery that is half deep cycle.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Nice find. Good write up. What AC/DC 12V/4A power adapter did you get for $3? I'm thinking about doing the same and that is definitely the way to go to set it up.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

IMakeVibes wrote:Nice find. Good write up. What AC/DC 12V/4A power adapter did you get for $3? I'm thinking about doing the same and that is definitely the way to go to set it up.
I used one I got at a small thrift store 2 blocks away that I know sorts their power adapters by voltage (for the most part).

I cut off the original end and soldered on one with a fuse holder and a connector (I already had it, I pick up stuff like that when i find it very cheap) for future testing of 12V stuff.

I used a 4 wire flat trailer harness with it (which I also already had), just splicing in the bare wire ends to the power leads for the stereo.

Last edited by BenWA on Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

I finally figured out how to remove the A-pillar trim to conceal the cables. Initially, I tried running the GPS receiver outside but it caused water to leak in, running down the cable. Since there's ample space behind the trim, I stuck the GPS receiver in there. Maybe it'll work ok. :lol: It seemed to work in when laying on the seat or floor after I found it was causing a leak when it running out the door past the weatherstripping. Plastic trim probably won't block the reception.

2003 Vibe Base A/T
Plcd22

Post by Plcd22 »

nice job - I did something similar with mine - double DIN fits pretty nicely
03 Base Model Vibe - 5spd man, manual windows & locks, only thing powered is the mirrors :D
Bought it in March 2016 with 153k for $2000 - for a work vehicle because of the cargo space, but I am really liking it for more than just work!
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

The biggest downside is the horrid WIFI antenna it has. It's nothing more than a wire.

But, I found out you can replace that crappy "antenna" with a Mini U.FL PCI to RP-SMA pigtail adapter. On ebay, they cost under $1 from China or about $4 from a USA seller, who just buys the China ones and resells them for a profit on the benefit of getting it faster. I get stuff from China in about 2 weeks, so 1/5 the cost is worth it when the USA sellers are just selling the same China made stuff.

So anyway, I found a thread where someone did this on the slightly older model one that I have. It has the same chipset but the casing is different on the back, and the front text is slightly different. It probably has the same board inside though.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/android ... 3170/page2
2003 Vibe Base A/T
KRR

Post by KRR »

Any updates/new info on these? I am planning on putting one in, might be able to do it in another week or two. Thanks!
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

KRR wrote:Any updates/new info on these? I am planning on putting one in, might be able to do it in another week or two. Thanks!
Besides the WIFI antenna post I made a few days ago?

I'm waiting on the adapter cable to install in the unit itself. I need to also order an antenna. I sorta forgot. I dunno if I want an antenna first or just an extension so I can run the cable end out under the dash, then add an antenna later.

EDIT:

This is what I have ordered.

Adapter cable for installing inside of the head unit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281783067709

Extension cable for between the head unit and the WIFI antenna. I have an extra long antenna on a router I don't use I might use, at least temporarily.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181849154085

This is the antenna I already have and will probably use, at least to start.
http://www.amazon.com/WIFI-10-dBi-2-4GH ... B000SEQGT2
2003 Vibe Base A/T
KRR

Post by KRR »

Looking really good, I like your setup, the GPS antenna should work fine in the A pillar.

I ran across some vids on YT where people were using regular 7" tablets, mounted inside double-DIN faceplates. I have 2 of those so am considering going that route, though it is more complicated and would only cost about $100 less after buying the needed hardware to get signal in and out through the miniUSB connector, amp'ing the sound, providing power, etc...
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

A tablet won't give you an external GPS antenna for better reception like mine does, nor physical buttons and volume control like mine has. I can press a physical button to get to my choice of voice guided, offline nagivation (HERE Maps). You would also have to buy an external amp since a tablet wouldn't amplify the sound enough for car speakers. You'd also not be able to gain access to the SD card or USB ports. Mine has 3 USB ports (including 2 on long cables that come out the back) and an ipod interface (though I don't have any ipod products).

By the time you try to hack job a tablet, you may as well try to get one in an auction like I did.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
KRR

Post by KRR »

Yeah, that is pretty much what I've been thinking. Spend the extra $100 and save innumerable hours of fiddling around to try and get it right. ;)
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

The adapter cable that I will be installing inside the head unit got here today, so about 10 days from China. (Ordered on April 4, arrived April 15). Considering stuff within the US sometimes takes a week, that's fast. And like I pointed out in an earlier post, the stuff you buy in the US is made in China anyway. :roll:

I'm going to wait until the 10ft extension cable comes so I don't have to pull it out twice. I got one 10ft long so I shouldn't have any problems finding a place to put an antenna. I may install the tall WIFI antenna to a pillar cover since the extension comes with the nut for mounting through something, such as plastic with a hole drilled in it. Then I can adjust the antenna if needed or whatever. I'll just have to wait and see where I figure it'll be best to mount it. I might just hide the WIFI antenna the same way I did the GPS antenna, if they don't interfere with each other.

I'd rather not run cables out since they cause gasket leaks around the doors like the GPS one did when I had it running out the passenger side, or risk getting cut if they get caught up in the hinge. Plus It's unsightly having loose cables going to antennas on the outside of your car. You run the risk of some jerk cutting the cable and/or taking the antenna, or breaking in thinking it's going to something expensive.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Oh and there is also video input/outlet and audio input/out on the head unit I got, something a Tablet would lack. It also has a subwoofer connector on one of the harnesses.

I didn't hook up those cables since they are a bit short for reaching when the unit is installed and I don't have a use for them right now. I keep them in the zip lock bag they came in with the dash kit papers and a piece of paper telling me what the stuff is in the bag. If I ever want to use them, I'd have to pull the head to get at the RCA jack cable ends anyway to plug in anything.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
KRR

Post by KRR »

Been comparison looking for a while now and decide to go in on this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-NEW-1024-6 ... 2243641553?

It's not the Pumpkin/Christmas brand, but I'm hoping will perform just fine anyway, as it is a great price point, & best features I could find in comparison.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

KRR wrote:Been comparison looking for a while now and decide to go in on this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-NEW-1024-6 ... 2243641553?

It's not the Pumpkin/Christmas brand, but I'm hoping will perform just fine anyway, as it is a great price point, & best features I could find in comparison.
Mine is sold as "Pumpkin" brand also, but the only difference is they take the plastic bezel and put their logo on it. Mine has some brand on the initial startup screen before it switches to the built in Pontiac logo I set, but not on the bezel. I'm still very happy with mine.

The long external extension wire for adding an external wifi antenna still hasn't arrived from China. Every so often, one package takes FOREVER to get here. Since all the others recently have been fast, then statistically speaking that's the super slow one. One time I even got a refund ($1ish) for a no-show item, but then the thing showed up two weeks or more later. By then I had already bought another from another seller so I wasn't going to repay for the one that did show. I think the second one from another seller showed up before the original one did, as I recall.

By the way, here is a VERY useful tip about Android devices in general. If you have an Android device and it suddenly seems HORRIBLEY slow and you don't know why, try removing the UPDATES for things like Google, Google Play Services, etc, and set them to non-automatic updates. Keep them on factory versions; except one aspect of Play can be updated, but I'm not sure how to explain. Anyhow, I did that on my Samsung Tab 2 10.1" tablet and now it's no longer slow as heck. Same with a low end Tracfone. It seems that certain updates cripple certain devices and cause them to lag to death. A way to encourage you to buy a new device, perhaps? I also keep an old version of Google maps on that yablet because the newer version a couple years ago was so laggy, it was unusable.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
KRR

Post by KRR »

Wow, this thing came *fast* - I think maybe 7 days from Hong Kong. Showed up early this past week. Put it in the car today, about a 3.5 hour process all told with no prep whatsoever, and am impressed. Using a pinout guide I found here on GenVibe, I pulled the metal connectors from inside of the OEM harness plug with a pair of needlenose pliars, and simply wrapped the new wire (stripped) around and onto the metal harnes connectors, then wrapped each in a short piece of PVC tape (yes, ghetto all the way :D ).
Didn't bother with the back cam/reverse lights (have that on my rear view mirror), and the GPS cord with this one was plenty long, prolly 3-4'. I just pushed the plug end of the cable though the dash at the seam next to the window defrost vent, and am leaving the little antenna puck sitting there on the dash for now. It's about 1.5" rounded-corner square shape and black, so visually unobtrusive. Everything seems to be OK, d'led the Open Streets offline maps app and took it for a test spin, works fine.
Did have an issue with radio antenna being much smaller than the input port for it on the 'droid unit. Stuck it in, and pushed in an expanding foam earplug around it to hold it in place. We'll see if that lasts. :)
Also, the mounting was a bit of a pain. Couldn't use OEM radio mounts, and there is a little gap - maybe 1/4" on each side of unit - in the dashboard trim. Not sure how I'll fill that in, but like GPS puck it isn't too glaringly ugly, so will let 'er ride for now. Stoked! :mrgreen:
Let's see if this pic will show (dark line to right on radio dash surround is a scratch from the PO):

BustedVibe

Post by BustedVibe »

I have a loose (small, square-ish, almost ATX 4-pin like) connector from when I replaced the stock.
It's black and I think its got a single wire. Is that the power for the antenna amp?

I might take my off and hook that up to the power antenna lead if so, because like you I'm fairly certain I didn't use it, thinking it was for a power antenna motor signal.

Post by KRR »

I didn't know whether or not there was an amp for the antenna or not, so I just hooked up the antenna power wire on the 'droid harness/plug to the appropriate one on the stock harness, in case that was what was meant by 'antenna power'. :) After testing, as far as I can tell I have no signal loss - and I have been impressed with how well the Vibe radio picked up signal.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

The original rg174 extension cable I bought never showed up from China. I got a refund and ordered one in the US.

When I went to install the adapter piece in the head unit today, I found it out that it DOESN'T have a"U.FL IPX" connector on the main board. :roll:

I ended up just cutting off the end of the dinky WIFI antenna and splicing+soldering in the adapter, so it works out the same. So now there is an RP-SMA connector on the back of the head unit for a WIFI antenna, just like I wanted. I ran the extension cable out from behind the unit and down below the glove box, and tested it out. It has MUCH better WIFI reception now! I can actually update my apps parked at home now.

I need to finish the install sometime this week since it's just got the cable and antenna sitting loose in the passenger seat.

So yeah.... if you get one of these head units or a similar one and you want an external WIFI antenna, it might or might not have a "U.FL IPX" socket connector on the main board for it. If not, you can solder in an RP-SMA pigtail pretty easily.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Here is the antenna I put on. I have a much longer one, but it won't stay upright. It rotates and falls down over the vent just below. It looks rather silly having a zip tie holding it upright. Positioning it any other way, it would interfere with the airbag. This small one works well enough so I'll leave it on for everyday use. I will keep the bigger one stored in the car in case I ever want to swap it out. It just screws on by hand, after all. It's just a matter of 15 seconds to swap the antenna.

2003 Vibe Base A/T