Is this the right wiring harness?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
irocz0r

Is this the right wiring harness?

Post by irocz0r »

Hey guys, I'm trying to wire up a new head unit. I ordered this off the internet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KL ... ge_o00_s00

But when I took out the factory radio, I found two harnesses plugging into the factory radio! But my aftermarket harness can only hook up to one of them! Is the other harness unused?

The factory harnesses:

The aftermarket harness:

BenWA

Re: Is this the right wiring harness?

Post by BenWA »

Did it have premium audio or something? Maybe the other is an amp?

On a neighbor's 95 Ford Explorer, she had me disconnect the radio on to troubleshoot a dead battery issue, has two connectors also. I was simply disconnecting it so I didn't do any harness investigation.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

The second, smaller plug is for the factory amplifier on Moon & Tunes / Sun & Sound cars. Don't worry about connecting it, it's only needed with the factory radio.

Here is the pinout of the larger harness for cars with or without external amplifier, if you need it:
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
trb

Post by trb »

That second black connector is for the remote 6 disc CD changer that was installed with the navigation systems on the Vibe and optional on others. I have it on my 03 GT and when I installed my son's base radio in it, since the stock nav screen was dead, I plugged in the second connector into his radio and the cd changer works just fine. But all you need is the adapter for the first connector to hook up an aftermarket radio.

See more info on this thread: viewtopic.php?t=44405
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car