Factory Radio Light Replacement

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
ganue

Factory Radio Light Replacement

Post by ganue »

For those with factory radios that cannot see the display because the backlight lamps have blown, I'd like to offer to fix it. I've got a bunch of lights leftover from when I fixed mine. If you want it done but aren't confident or don't have the tools to do it yourself, PM me here. I can't fix worn buttons unfortunately but if you want to keep the factory radio and are willing to part with it for the time it takes ship, repair, and return, I want to fix it!!!

There are a total of 7 lamps - 3 small ones that backlight the bottom right buttons and 4 larger ones; 3 that backlight the LCD display and 1 that lights the power/push/volume/tune/select graphics. I will replace the 4 larger lamps as the other 3 light up buttons aren't used much and it's not worth the time, honestly. If you REALLY want them done let's talk.

Want this?:

Price: $40 - you ship to me at your cost and I ship back to you using standard USPS shipping at my cost reusing your box. US 48 state only. Outside of that, we can talk. Corvette radios will ship you only 3 of the 4 bulbs for $23 so I think this is a fair deal as you'll have an electrical engineer doing the repair for you!!
joatmon

Re: Factory Radio Light Replacement

Post by joatmon »

A number of us have replaced the bulbs ourselves viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26889

$40 plus shipping one way is seems reasonable for someone who isn't comfortable doing it themselves.

What part number bulbs do you use?
ganue

Post by ganue »

2162's - they are slightly larger but are supposed to be a 10,000 hour bulb
savoirfaire

Post by savoirfaire »

Do you know what kind of bulbs the bottom row of buttons takes?

Never mind, they're 2182 bulbs.
PhilipC

Post by PhilipC »

Hello, just FYI:

For those of you who are looking for the special replacement light bulbs to fix your Vibe's stock radio backlights, I found a guy on eBay selling them. I ordered a set of light bulbs (three different kinds for a total of seven bulbs) from him and got my radio fixed myself. He shows some pretty good pictures on his listing illustrating the internal radio components and the bulbs locations. He's also helpful when I asked him questions and the price is very reasonable. Now my radio is shining bright in the dark like it did before! The only requirement is that you know how to deal with electronic repair work.

Do a search on eBay using the general keywords such as "2003 vibe radio backlight" and his listing will show up with the item title as "2003 Vibe/Matrix Stock Radio Backlight Replacement Bulb/Lamp Kit (7 Bulbs)".

I hope this will help to ease someone's frustration in trying to find the right parts for the repair job.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

PhilipC wrote:Hello, just FYI:

I hope this will help to ease someone's frustration in trying to find the right parts for the repair job.
Nice tip for those of us who like to keep our cars 100% OEM :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"