Actual pinout from the back of the Stereo

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
gdizzle

Actual pinout from the back of the Stereo

Post by gdizzle »

I have the 2005 Vibe, base. With the standard single CD Stereo system. I removed it several years ago and replaced it.
But now I am trying to install the original Stereo into an old car that I have, 1966 DOdge Dart. I cant seem to figure out the pinouts on the back of the CD Stereo. it has the 24 pins plug and the 12 pins plug. I know I need the 24pins. I even bought a cable that attaches so I have wires to work with. I can not determine which pin is for Battery Positive and Ground. The speakers I can figure out with trial and error. Any ideas or help? I have searched all over the net and can not find what I need.
joatmon

Re: Actual pinout from the back of the Stereo

Post by joatmon »

Here are two of the useful pics here at genvibe, the first is a schematic of the radio wiring, the second is the pinout of the wiring connector. To double check you've got the right orientation of the pin numbering, look at the pins on the radio itself that are numbered 1 to 12

The radio needs both the unswitched, constant 12V on pin B1 and the ignition switched 12V on pin B2, or it will not turn on. It would still work if you ran ignition switched 12V to both, but you'd lose the clock setting any time you turned the car off, and you wouldn't get the "theft deterrent" blinking red light when ignition off

I have one of these radios in my Tacoma, put it in there because the truck has a clock in the dash, which is located in spot that you can't see it from the drivers seat. I can't remember if the radio dimmer signal is drop down from 12V to dim or pull up from ground to dim, but the radio and the truck used opposite dimmer methods, so if I hooked the truck dimmer signal to the radio dimmer signal, dimming the dash lights brightened the radio, dash full bright made radio unlit, so I just wired constant whatever to the radio dimmer input and its on full bright all the time.
gdizzle

Post by gdizzle »

Let me first thank you so much. this was exactly what I needed. I was able to wire it up and got it to power on. Now I need to find out how to separate the power so the memory remains when I shut it off. Some guys are telling me the Cigar lighter is always giving power, so I may be able to tap into that.

What is weird is my pins on the back of the stereo go from 1 - 12, from right to left, instead of left to right like the picture?

Also my antenna wire is way too big for the stereo. Trying to figure out how to reduce it so that it will plug in. Lastly in order for the AM STATIONS to work, I need to somehow connect the POWER Antenna lead to something? Maybe the switched battery power?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The picture of the connector is the connector that is on the end of the wire harness. It shows the view when you look at the side of the connector that plugs into the radio, not the side of the connector with the wires coming out of it. The pic shows then numbered left to right, the radio has them numbered from right to left, but when you plug the connector into the radio, they all line up. When looking at the back of the radio, the pins are numbered right to left, but if you rotate the radio to look at the front of it, pin 1 is now on the left, pin 12 on the right. It all depends on how you look at it.

For the antenna wire, I bought an adapter. It's like a spider, has a bunch of different antenna connectors all wired together.

The antenna power is an output of the radio. On a Vibe, there is an antenna amplifier built in to the antenna base, and it needs power. A 66 Dart won't have a powered antenna amplifier, so you should be able to ignore the antenna power wire. Once you get the right antenna adapter, you should be able to get AM stations.
gdizzle

Post by gdizzle »

Great info I printed it all out. I have figured out in my fuse box, which circuits will give me power always on, and also dim back light etc... My question deals with the grounding of the stereo. If I ground the metal enclosure of the stereo against my grounded dash (metal) will I be able to ground the wire coming off the stereo to the metal of the stereo casing? The old stereo I pulled out of the Dart grounded by simply attaching the stereo to the frame.
I am just going to mount the stereo to the underside of the dash, which will be below the original stereo. Thinking just some L brackets screwed right into the stereo casing (carefully) and then into the underside of the dash. Unless you have other ideas? Alot of guys put the stereo into the glovebox, but I dont want to do that. The front speakers which are under the dash near the windshield are Kicker 3.5in speakers. The rear has cutouts for 6x9's. I dodnt want to spend alot of $ so maybe kickers back there too? I think I can get a pair for $60.