LED Interior Light Mods

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Fever

LED Interior Light Mods

Post by Fever »

The interior lighting in my '07 Base was not as good as I wanted it to be so I started messing around.
Picked up some leds from Princess Auto and went at it.

Modified the dome fixtures to add leds, and a lead out. Burned the existing bulb out and used it by soldering the led leads to the caps. Double back tape holding the led in the fixture.

Wanted more light up front so went with these guys.

This required removal of the headliner.
Fixtures, handles, and visors out.

Mostly down, have to remove wires taped to the back of the liner.

Taped the wires to the roof, added lead to front.

Forgot about the camera until she was done. Basically drilled three holes, carefully with a spade bit no less, lifted the liner back in place ensuring wires were fished through, wired, tested, put everything back up. Finished product.

Much brighter inside and a whiter light than the old yellowish incandescent. The new fronts are run off the middle fixture switch for door-off-on. Some glare from the new fronts as you can see the diodes from the seats. May try to fab a little shade fixture. All in all much improved interior lighting. Trickiest part doing the headliner was finding out, through a GenVibe post, the removal method for the visor clips. Turn 90 degrees and pull. Didn't know that one.

Fever
'07Vibe '13FR-S '99Ranger
Derf

Re: LED Interior Light Mods

Post by Derf »

Nice, great resource for others. Its great to have light up high. Appears only some base Vibe's had maplights on the rear view mirror, great add on for those that do not.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
Fever

Post by Fever »

Derf wrote:Nice, great resource for others. Its great to have light up high. Appears only some base Vibe's had maplights on the rear view mirror, great add on for those that do not.
Thanks Derf. No such luck with my base model having the map lighted mirror. Had to do something for better light up front. Love the leds.
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

nice you can do the handy work

For those who can't, there are empty bayonet bases to place in the bulb holder and plug into led replacment lights. You can acquire led panels that fit nicely into the dome fixture with some double sided tape.
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

Could you give us info on the exact parts you got and where you got em? This is a really cool mod and I've been looking to get some more light up front since I only have the mirror lights.
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

How did I miss this post? Very nice mod and certainly one that was much needed. Did you break any plastic trim pieces or clips during the removal process? I'm always leery about tearing the interior apart because it just seems that when you put it all back together, the fit is not as good as before you messed with it. Nice job anyways :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Fever

Post by Fever »

tpollauf wrote:How did I miss this post? Very nice mod and certainly one that was much needed. Did you break any plastic trim pieces or clips during the removal process? I'm always leery about tearing the interior apart because it just seems that when you put it all back together, the fit is not as good as before you messed with it. Nice job anyways :D
Thanks, it was much needed. Didn't break a thing during removal. One of the plugs from one of the A pillar panels stayed in the A pillar itself so I just had to pop it off and slide it back into the panel. I used one of those fork shaped clip removal tools to help. Trickiest part for me was figuring out the visor clips turn 90 degrees to remove. Learned that from a search on here. Everything went back together nicely. I don't think anything is out of place.

Port Clinton eh? Used to boat across Lake Erie to Put-In-Bay back when I was wild and crazy. Oh boy the brain cells lost at the Roundhouse Bar...