LED bulbs for dome & cargo area lights?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
jake75

LED bulbs for dome & cargo area lights?

Post by jake75 »

Anyone ever come upon LED replacements for the dome and cargo area lights?
Twice I have left the cargo area light on - once completely drained the battery.
Thought LED would not draw much current sparing the battery.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Fever

Re: LED bulbs for dome & cargo area lights?

Post by Fever »

My Princess Auto has direct led replacement bulbs for the dome lights. Philips brand $10 each, single diode. Mine were the shorter of the two festooned styles. However, I went a cheaper route and modded 2X3 diode panels ($3) in the fixture. I just made a thread about it here, check it out.
'07Vibe '13FR-S '99Ranger
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

I used a panel of SMD LEDs for both dome lights, similar to this listing on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-SMD-T10-12V- ... c2&vxp=mtr

I did not purchase mine from this seller and purchase history doesn't go back far enough to find out who I bought them from.

There are square and round options available. You can also go with fewer LEDs or up to 48, but I wouldn't go with more than 24- too bright!

You can also find LED replacements for the map light.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Derf

Post by Derf »

Link to thread on interior lights. As you read the post, you get can see more options have been created, feston bulb, panel array etc. The small LED feston modules draw the least power, while the panel arrays draw more power while yielding more light.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37574&p=420305&hil ... md#p420305
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I was under the mistaken assumption that there might just be an LED version of the existing bulb that could be easily swapped out, i.e. replace the OEM bulb with an LED counterpart.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Fever

Post by Fever »

jake75 wrote:I was under the mistaken assumption that there might just be an LED version of the existing bulb that could be easily swapped out, i.e. replace the OEM bulb with an LED counterpart.
As I posted earlier, Philips has direct replacement bulbs. LMGTFY: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-festoon-X ... B009NOZ5C2
jake75

Post by jake75 »

That link got me to an Amazon page that warned "This does not fit your 2009 Pontiac Vibe. But it did have a feature that allowed me to find one that does fit [Pilot #3175]. It says for "Dome Light" - looks a little like a fuse with tapered ends like a Tepee. I will check to see if that is the same as used in the cargo area light. Were about $6 each - free prime shipping.
Fever

Post by Fever »

jake75 wrote:That link got me to an Amazon page that warned "This does not fit your 2009 Pontiac Vibe. But it did have a feature that allowed me to find one that does fit [Pilot #3175]. It says for "Dome Light" - looks a little like a fuse with tapered ends like a Tepee. I will check to see if that is the same as used in the cargo area light. Were about $6 each - free prime shipping.
Okay, maybe the '09 model uses a different bulb than my '07. Sorry about that. However mine is the same as you described, 30mm long. Which is the style of the Philips one I linked. I'm sure the one you found will work.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

We have 5000k (bright white, no hint of blue) LED bulbs in all the interior lights of both our Vibes. The ones I got are direct bulb replacements. Plug and play. They are polarity sensitive though, so if you plug them in and they don’t light up, pull them out, turn them around and put them back in and they should work. No wiring or anything needed. I got them from v-LEDs.

I’m not sure about the light/s at the very front of the headliner above the rear view mirror since you have a Base that I know doesn’t have the same map light setup as our GTs do, but I used #194 bulbs in our map lights up front and #DE3175 / #30mm in the center and rear (cargo) overhead lights. Their prices have gone up since I bought all our LED bulbs a few years ago, but I am leery of buying ones on eBay. I prefer to have the backing of a company with a proven track record of quality products. You may also be able to find some good deals in their Closeout Section.

Super Bright LEDs is another reputable company to deal with and their prices are cheaper than v-LEDs. Here’s their selection of #194 bulbs and #DE3175 / #30mm bulbs. Sometimes you can find some deals in their Clearance Section.

Whatever bulb you end up getting, my only suggestion would be to get ones that have a 360* angle so you don’t get “hot spots”.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage