Blower completely stopped working!

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
joebiloba

Blower completely stopped working!

Post by joebiloba »

Hey guys. Long time lurker here. My work car is a 2005 Vibe GT 205,000 miles strong.

I was tinkering in the dash installing an Isimple hard wired fm transmitter. I don't know if I bumped something or blew a fuse or what, but the AC won't blow at all. It was fine before this.

From what I could tell there were no fuses in the engine compartment box hat would have been involved. He AC fuse in the under dash panel was fine. What else should I check?

Thanks.
joebiloba

Re: Blower completely stopped working!

Post by joebiloba »

Ok then!

10amp fuse good
40amp fuse good
Actuator bad...has been thumping for some time when recirc is off...not sure if this could cause a sudden blower failure, though (?).
Does not blow at all...not even on high...so not typical for resistor based on what I've read.
Found the Heater relay but not sure how to test it...it looked fine and contacts were good.
Checked the blower motor... connector seems to be ok..not sure how to test blower motor or where to have it bench tested. Does not respond to thumping and has never faltered prior to this...so I'm thinking it's probably not the motor.

Theory 1. The fan control switch is the right below the radio ...can't help but think I unplugged something while fooling with the radio...which immediately proceeded the sudden blower failure. There is a green/white wire with a green connector that is open (not connected to anything)/right behind he switch. I looked back there with a mirror ans.dis not see anything it would reach. The only green white wire on the diagram is between the Air Inlet Control Servo Motor and the Air Inlet Control Switch. I don't know what or where these are or if this is the same wire I'm seeing.

Theory 2. The switch is faulty.

Theory 2. The relay is bad.

Theory 3. The motor is bad.

Any insights are appreciated
joebiloba

Post by joebiloba »

Ok then!

10amp fuse good
40amp fuse good
Actuator bad...has been thumping for some time when recirc is off...not sure if this could cause a sudden blower failure, though (?).
Does not blow at all...not even on high...so not typical for resistor based on what I've read.
Found the Heater relay but not sure how to test it...it looked fine and contacts were good.
Checked the blower motor... connector seems to be ok..not sure how to test blower motor or where to have it bench tested. Does not respond to thumping and has never faltered prior to this...so I'm thinking it's probably not the motor.

Theory 1. The fan control switch is the right below the radio ...can't help but think I unplugged something while fooling with the radio...which immediately proceeded the sudden blower failure. There is a green/white wire with a green connector that is open (not connected to anything)/right behind he switch. I looked back there with a mirror ans.dis not see anything it would reach. The only green white wire on the diagram is between the Air Inlet Control Servo Motor and the Air Inlet Control Switch. I don't know what or where these are or if this is the same wire I'm seeing.

Theory 2. The switch is faulty.

Theory 2. The relay is bad.

Theory 3. The motor is bad.

Any insights are appreciated
trb

Post by trb »

I agree it sounds like something came loose or just quit. If the fan were bad it would probably be intermittent like my son's blower was. And if the resistor went out, it would work at some speeds and not others. You can jump the fan with 12v and ground the other wire to test it, but I bet it is OK.

The green/white wire should connect from the back of the AC control panel that indicates where the air comes out, down to a servo in the ductwork that controls where the air flows. It also runs through the engine control module. I tried to take a look at mine, but it is just too dark to get into the dash. I'll try to take a closer look Saturday if you haven't figured it out by then.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
joebiloba

Post by joebiloba »

Thanks!

I haven't had time to remove any dash panels since I need my car (assembled) for work.
joebiloba

Post by joebiloba »

The open connector is a green wire and a white/black wire, coming from below the heater control switch. I looked with a mirror and can't see an open port on the back of the switch. There is a green wire leading to the larger harness going into the back of the switch which may be what you were referencing

I'm beginning to think what I'm seeing has nothing to do with the blower...
trb

Post by trb »

Green and white/black wire pairs are for the instrument panel light system, so that is probably not related to the fan not working. It would just affect the illumination of the AC panel.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
joebiloba

Post by joebiloba »

Well, it was the blower. Tried unsuccessfully to check it with the multimeter which was a piece of junk, then just ran 12v across the motorand got nothing.

Picked up a new blower motor at autozone for $109 and had it blowing in 15 minutes... And a new multimeter.

May have just been better off ordering a new motor from the get go, but hindsight is 20/20...

Thought I'd add this, as well...there is a cheap heater relay at autozone for $9 in case anyone runs in to this problem.

Thanks for your help.