Replacing instrument cluster at 299,999km

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Curlybandit

Replacing instrument cluster at 299,999km

Post by Curlybandit »

Hello everyone.

I don't come to this forum often but when I do i always find the answer I'm looking for. I'm hoping this time will be no different.

I just hit 299,999km in my '05 Vibe. If I were in the US and not Canada, this wouldnt be an issue because that would only be 186,400 miles. As expected, the odometer stopped counting beyond this.

I'm looking to pick up an instrument cluster from a scrap yard but I wanted to make sure of one thing. If I swap the new (used) cluster with the fewer kilometres in, will the odometer continue to work, or does it require some sort of programming specific to my vehicle and its ECU?

While we're at it, does anyone know if it's possible to swap in a Matrix cluster?

Thanks for the help!
Baltovibe

Re: Replacing instrument cluster at 299,999km

Post by Baltovibe »

Curlybandit wrote:If I swap the new (used) cluster with the fewer kilometres in, will the odometer continue to work, or does it require some sort of programming specific to my vehicle and its ECU?
According to this thread, the mileage is kept within the cluster only.
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
jolt

Post by jolt »

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3 ... mming.html

This posting may be of interest to you. If you read down the page there is some info about the 299,999 in Corollas. This is if you want to try to reprogram your mileage. If the mileage is just stored in the one chip then you could just replace that chip in your cluster with the used one from the used dash and you would not have to worry about the ECU and setting up the used cluster to work with your car.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The odometer value is stored in the cluster. If you replaced the cluster, you'd have the odometer reading of the junked car. You could have the odometer value in the replacement cluster reprogrammed, but you could do that to the one you already have so there'd be no reason to get a replacement cluster

The odometer reading is stored in a programmable chip in the cluster, and nowhere else. There is nothing in the cluster that must be synced with the ECU. The selection of english or metric units is also configured in the same chip, so if you were to get a replacement cluster and not reprogram it, you'd want to get a Canadian one. I think the factory metric vibes also get a low windshield washer fluid warning light in the cluster (US Vibes don't) so that would be another reason to stick with a Canadian cluster. There are three generations of cluster, 03-04, 05-08, and 09-10. so you'd want a Canadian (metric) 05-08

I know of one company specmo.com that can reset the odometer in you original cluster, but there must be others. You could ask a dealership service department where they send clusters to have odometers set, or perhaps ask an auto repair or body shop . It might be cheaper to just get the current one reset than to buy a different one.

I've used the info in viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26526 to set the odometer in a replacement 04 cluster, but can't swear that the same procedure works in an 05
Curlybandit

Post by Curlybandit »

Excellent information.

Thank you both.

Now if I can only get someone to confirm my question in my other post....
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44526

Are the Vibe and Matrix instrument clusters interchangeable?

Thanks again!
jolt

Post by jolt »

Here is a YouTube video of the re-programming process...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq6SlyVE4zQ