save my groin!

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
canadave

save my groin!

Post by canadave »

I keep my keys in my jeans front pocket, and those of you who own a 2nd gen Vibe will know what I'm talking about when I express my fear of my 2009 Vibe's ignition key. It's like a three-inch-long dagger, especially when on a key ring full of keys like mine is. When I sit down, I live in mortal fear of spearing myself in the groin (ok, maybe not mortal fear, but I've had it almost happen a couple of times). So I'm trying to come up with some inventive ideas to address the situation.

One thing I'm wondering, in looking at it, is whether I could simply cut off/separate the metal "key part" from the plastic "fob" part of the integrated key (right at the point where the metal key meets the plastic part), and then somehow attach/glue some kind of material to the raw metal key part to make it more like a normal key. Thoughts on that idea?

In fact, it looks like the metal key part might be removable from the plastic fob part if there was a way to open up the plastic fob part cleanly. I don't see any screws or anything....?

I'm just loathe to take a hacksaw to the key, split it into two parts, and then find out I just permanently messed up my key :)

Alternatively, is there a way to buy a 2009 replacement key that doesn't include the plastic fob part for keyless entry? If so, then I guess I could just buy that, cut off the metal key part of my existing 2009 key, and just use the remaining plastic piece as my separate keyless entry fob.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
Vulcan05

Re: save my groin!

Post by Vulcan05 »

I had a copy of my '10 key made at an Ace hardware store. Used a buy one get one coupon. Two spares for $1. Just tell them to use the blank for a Toyota Matrix.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
canadave

Post by canadave »

I don't have an Ace Hardware near me here in Canada--the only thing I could get to that would be similar would be a Home Depot. Were the keys you got an exact replica of the existing 2nd gen key? i.e. had the plastic fob attached to the metal key part? Or were they just keys without the plastic keyless entry part?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

If you poke around online there are kits to make your key into a switchblade key all VW style. That should solve your speared nuts worry right? When I was looking at Acura TSXs their forum had a ton of info on them.
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
GOF

Post by GOF »

trb

Post by trb »

I have often carried my car keys in my back pocket, and that helps with the potential stabbing!

You can take the key fob apart by prying between the two halves. There is an opening on the side of the key chain hole you can use to pry them apart. The key itself is maybe 1/4" into the fob part of the key.

I had a regular metal key made by a local locksmith for my 10 GT from a basic Toyota key blank that worked fine as a spare until I got another fob key.

The one issue I can see with your idea of separating the key from the fob is that it might not work if you have the Security function on your 09. From what I understand all Canadian Vibes came standard with the security key, and if you put the fob part on a key chain hanging from the key in the ignition, then it might not be close enough to register and let the ignition work. I would for sure test it using a regular metal key first before cutting up your fob key.

Good luck with it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

canadave wrote:I don't have an Ace Hardware near me here in Canada--the only thing I could get to that would be similar would be a Home Depot. Were the keys you got an exact replica of the existing 2nd gen key? i.e. had the plastic fob attached to the metal key part? Or were they just keys without the plastic keyless entry part?
Plain Jane metal keys. No plastic.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
canadave

Post by canadave »

OK...so, decided to poke around inside the key a little bit. My main question, after looking at these photos is: Where is the transponder itself actually located? Is it in the green circuit board somewhere, or is it in the small rectangular crevice on the upper side of the black plastic key body? (see pic)

2009 base Vibe, silver"
trb

Post by trb »

I would have to say that yes, that is the ignition transponder in the key case. My old key is empty in that spot as you can see:

I was hoping it might be in the electronics too, as I could have sent you my old key for you to cut up, but it kind of does make sense to have the transponder directly attached to the key, and not the removable electronics.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
canadave

Post by canadave »

Gotcha, and thanks for posting the pic, that's quite clear!

Now, I guess the next question is: I assume there's a way to remove the transponder from that slot without breaking it. If so, I wonder if I could glue the transponder to the plastic ignition receptacle so that it's always detected? I live in a place where theft is 100% not a concern, so I wouldn't mind having the immobilizer bypassed.

If so, then that's the answer--transponder glued to the ignition receptacle, get a spare plain key to turn the ignition, and just keep the bulky plastic keyless entry thingy (separately) so that I can get in and out of the vehicle.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
canadave

Post by canadave »

An even better idea--is there another type of key (perhaps a Toyota key?) that has space inside its plastic head for a transponder (where I could glue my transponder chip in), but yet the plastic head is still relatively small? I looked at a Toyota #35 key, but it looks like that doesn't have space for a transponder (and I don't see any way to get the plastic head of that key off to access inside it, either)
2009 base Vibe, silver"
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

You can find the key blanks on amazon for the 'spare' type key, no fob head, and the head of the key likely has a spot for the transponder, or you'll have to hack a small space inside. Not sure if any key making place can make a copy, but most should be able to, and will only cost a few bucks to try.

I was thinking of similar

You could also buy a new remote blank key, and you can program it to work with your car lock/unlock (I believe) Buy from someone that guarantees they can.
Then dremel the key blade off and just carry around the remote; the blade isn't much good as the transponder inside won't work
Leave the original in the ignition
... this was my battle plan around a similar problem
trb

Post by trb »

How about this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flip-Key-Case-R ... =undefined

Looks like you can move your chip and electronics to this case and have a flip key on the side. We have these keys for our Equinox, and they work pretty well with no stabbing.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
canadave

Post by canadave »

Wow, that DOES look cool!!! :)

The only question I'd have about something like that would be whether it'd be possible to accidentally have the key deployment button get pressed accidentally in my pocket. I keep my keys and my wallet in the same pocket, so I'm wondering if it'd theoretically be possible to sit down or something and have the wallet press the button by accident....thus actively stabbing myself in the groin rather than passively stabbing myself as I am now with my existing key ;)

**** EDIT ****
Ah, well, what the heck, it's only $10....my groin is worth at least that much to me ;) I took the plunge and ordered it. We'll see how well it works when it arrives in 2-3 weeks; will report back.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
trb

Post by trb »

Yeah, it can accidentally deploy the key, and it has happened to me, but not that often. Usually when I am trying to pull it out of my pocket. A few people on the other forums have used the small wide rubber bands like you can find on produce to keep the key in place while in their pocket.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &