Eonon GA5167

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
treesleavedents

Eonon GA5167

Post by treesleavedents »

I've been poking around to find a replacement for my stock 2003 DVD nav system since I really want bluetooth, USB, and AUX inputs. I've seen a bunch of double din options but none of them look good. None of them look factory. Before I bought my Vibe I had been looking at a 2010 Mazda 3s. The mazda 3 forums all swore by Eonon as THE people to go to for a factory looking aftermarket stereo crammed with features and good customer service.

So I poked around on their website... And found this. http://www.eonon.com/Car-DVD-Players/An ... A5167.html

A stereo specifically meant for the Toyota Carolla that shares the platform with the first gen Vibe/Matrix. I emailed Eonon asking if it would fit our cars and they asked for pictures and promised they would get back to me. I just sent a ton of pictures their way so we'll see what I get back. If this fits I will be so happy! I know I'll have to wire it in myself (not worried about that.) I just really want a stereo to fit nicely and look stock. Is that too much to ask for?!

I know canadadave bought an Eonon GE01 and while he's happy with it, it sticks out of his dash pretty far. I'm assuming that's because of the motorized screen. He also had touch screen issues that ended up being a software issue. I'm hoping this different model solves those problems since it's a capacitive touch screen and since it's designed specifically for the 2000-2006 toyota carolla.
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
canadave

Re: Eonon GA5167

Post by canadave »

Hi, good luck with your Eonon GA5167. If you don't mind, please post a followup here letting us know what Eonon says about the fit.

Just wanted to chime in with a couple of things:

1. The touchscreen on my Eonon GE01 works perfectly. The issue I had with it was completely my fault. Basically, I didn't install iGo Primo GPS software correctly (I was using a downloaded copy, not anything official from Eonon), and that caused issues with the touchscreen each "session" where I used the GPS--which also affected the touchscreen of the entire unit during that session, not just in the GPS section. Once I figured out what I was doing wrong with the installation and installed iGo Primo correctly, it worked, and has been a breeze ever since, no touchscreen problems whatsoever since then. So don't worry about the touchscreen.

2. The fit...part of the reason mine sticks way out is because the GE01 has a weird design in terms of the motorized screen, which is very slightly larger in width and height than the main silver housing behind it, and is slightly larger in width and height than the aperture of the Vibe's radio/vents trim piece. That means that the motorized part of the screen, the part that moves, has to stay outside that trim piece--if it was inside, it wouldn't be able to move.

The issues causing the rest of the non-fitment are that the front-to-back distance from the screen to the rear of the unit is longer than that of the stock radio; plus, the wires all come out bunched together in one spot on the rear of the unit--which happens to end up exactly where the metal crossbar is in the back of the radio cavity in the Vibe. If the bar was higher or lower, it would avoid the bunch of wires, but it's exactly the same height as that spot, so the wires hitting that metal bar basically prevents me from pushing the radio back any further.

I'm not home at the moment but will be in about 15-20 minutes; I'll post the stock radio's and the Eonon's front-to-back dimensions in this post so that you can see the difference.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
canadave

Post by canadave »

Also, I just had a look around, and there's another Eonon unit that they say is for Corolla that might also fit the Vibe:

http://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/Specific-C ... M5170.html

That one is WinCE, not Android. Also, I guess that one is designed for international drivers who drive on the left side of the road...the controls are on the right side of the unit!
2009 base Vibe, silver"
treesleavedents

Thanks for clarifying the issues you had! I read through your post quite a few times trying to figure out which route to take with my car. I know the touchscreen issues were a software thing but your touchscreen isn't capacitive is it?

Also I saw the other model as well but immediately discounted it since it seems designed for RHD vehicles. In our cars all the controls would be too far away from the driver to comfortable and safely reach while driving. With the stick nav unit I have I already don't like hitting any buttons on the right side while driving...
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
canadave

Post by canadave »

Not sure whether the GE01 screen is capacitive or resistive; if you're interested, might want to contact Eonon and ask. For me, every now and then I'll press something on the screen and not get a reaction; it's infrequent enough that it doesn't bother me (and I'm pretty sensitive to these types of things). It's no worse, I don't think, then a typical bank ATM touchscreen. In other words, I wouldn't mind it being a little better at detecting my finger presses, but it's not bad enough at it to bother me. I see people in some videos handling their aftermarket radios with styluses....I can't imagine that!

For what it's worth, I don't think having the controls on the right side would be an enormous issue. If you think about it, many/most of the other Eonon radios (even the one you're looking at) have some of their controls on the right side. It's only 7 inches further away than the controls on the left side :)

Anyway, speaking of distance, I just measured front to back of my 2004 Vibe's stock radio--it's 158.75mm. The Eonon GE01 is 145mm just from the back of the radio to the beginning of the silver housing; from there, there's a black plastic trim piece that takes up probably another 20mm or so, and then there's the motorized black trim piece in front of that, which is maybe another 20mm. Plus, as I said, the stock radio doesn't have the problem that the Eonon does, of having the exit point of the wires on the unit sitting right where the metal bar is inside the radio cavity. It's close, but just a little too big (on mine, anyway). Mind you, I'm not a professional installer by any stretch, and this was my first project, so maybe I'm just missing something obvious, and in reality it should fit perfectly :geek:
2009 base Vibe, silver"
treesleavedents

So after a ton of measuring, comparing, and communication between Eonon and myself, I think the GA5167 will fit in our cars. Unfortunately I won't be able to test this for you guys as my budget didn't allow me to get it... I instead went for the Pioneer MVH-x560BT for $123. It's cheaper and does everything I want it to do other than look stock. I'll survive... With the leftover money I was able to purchase a 5 channel amp to drive the JBL components I bought for the doors.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

The unit I'd like to get for my 03 is... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PU1 ... X9HQHABNPM

I wonder how it will fit with the slightly rounded corners of the dash bezel though.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
treesleavedents

Most likely it'll fit like any other standard size double din stereo. There will be a gap around the outside edges and you might have to do a bit of dremel work to get it all snug. Any reason to go with that one over the one that should fit?
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Larger screen, newer version of Android.

I did find one with Android 4.4 that may fit since it says it's for Corolla and other Toyotas, but it's also a 6.2" screen...
http://www.amazon.com/Pumpkin-Capacitiv ... B00NFBEYY4
2003 Vibe Base A/T
treesleavedents

the GA5167 has a 6.3 inch screen IIRC
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

treesleavedents wrote:the GA5167 has a 6.3 inch screen IIRC
6.2", which seems to be what all the "custom fit" ones (for our cars anyway) seem to be. 6.95" might not seem like that much bigger but I'm sure it is.

Now I realize, the opening is WIDER than normal DIN/Double DIN, correct? Something that has come to mind is to get one of these kits and cut out that thin bit in the middle, so it can be used for double DIN. It might have to be hot glued into place, It would fill in the sides:

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-8205-Pon ... B000329HEU
2003 Vibe Base A/T