Tail/Brake Lights Pulse w/ Turn Signals.

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
zbyers

Tail/Brake Lights Pulse w/ Turn Signals.

Post by zbyers »

Hello all,

I have a 2007 Vibe. I noticed when trying to hook up a tow wiring harness that my tail/brake lights pulse when the turn signal is on, and the parking/headlights off. However, if I turn on the parking/headlights, the pulsing does not exist. If I remember correctly, this also occurs when the four ways/hazard lights are turned on. I've also noticed the dash lights will also pulse when the parking lights are off, and they are dimmed. Once again, when parking lights are on, no issue.

I am not very inclined when it comes to electrical systems so I'm not too sure where to look or what to look for as an issue. Most common is obviously ground, but I'm not sure what grounds would need to be checked. I did do the DRL/AHL mod, and fog mod (with relay for independent control) several months ago and did not notice these issues. Though no one else has had any issues with these mods (that I've heard of), is it possible this is the cause?

Thanks for your help.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
beemerphile1

Re: Tail/Brake Lights Pulse w/ Turn Signals.

Post by beemerphile1 »

Bad ground somewhere. Since you have hacked the existing wiring there is no way to make a guess other than it was probably caused by your previous work.

Use a wire with alligator clips and use it to temporarily ground the different fixtures/areas until you find the problem. Start with the hacks you already did.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Bad ground somewhere. Since you have hacked the existing wiring there is no way to make a guess other than it was probably caused by your previous work.
I am going to look at that this weekend, if the weather cooperates. I appreciate the suggestions. Let's hope I simply knocked something loose. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the the lighting? I have yet to pick up the Haynes or Chilton manuals to look at 'em.

Thanks.

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Finally got a chance to check it out and see what the issue was. I pulled the bulbs out and turned on the lights to see what was going on. A few LEDs were out on the one bulb, no idea why either. Anyhow, stuck a regular bulb in, and tada. It was fixed. I'm guessing the LEDs being out were causing it to draw even less amperage (sorry if this isn't the right term) and caused feedback in it and made the lights pulse.

Anyhow, the issue is resolved. Time to invest in a TapTurn flasher! I can't wait for that.

Thanks everyone.