Backup camera systems

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
cadcoke5

Backup camera systems

Post by cadcoke5 »

Since I already plan on adding a new stereo, to add the bluetooth audio capabilities, I am also considering a backup camera. I prefer something integrated into the stereo, so that I don't have yet another electronic device cluttering up the car.

While I can find a stereo system capable of displaying the backup camera image, the installation of the camera is an issue. One place said they will charge $200 just to install a hard-wired system. They also recommended against the wireless kinds, since they often interfere with Bluetooth, or have an extremely poor image.

I imagine if the camera can be installed without having to drill through the body, that may bring the install price down. I wonder if it is viable to put it on the top inside of the rear window?

Anyone with experience with a backup camera install? Any wireless systems that work well?
kumquat

Re: Backup camera systems

Post by kumquat »

What year Vibe do you have?

Installing a backup camera isn't hard, but you have to be comfortable with splicing wires. I bought one for $20 and it's been great.
trb

Post by trb »

I have one I bought for like $15 to install on my son's Vibe, but haven't had a chance to do it just yet. It is a license plate mount type, but I want to try and mod it to mount under the plastic Pontiac hatch piece above the license plate on the 03-08 models. Also considering installing it around the CHMSL inside the top of the hatch glass. I might try and get the kind that mounts directly to the body if it does not work out cleanly with the one I have now.

This thread has a lot of info:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=43614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
trb

Post by trb »

I pulled out the camera I got and tried it in the CHMSL to see how it would work. Dors not look bad, but I have no idea how well it will aim and if it blocks the light too much.

This is the camera I got. It hooks up to the video input on the stereo.

Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I see this as a future mod for our Vibes soon. Heard an ad that ALL 2015 Honda's, regardless of trim level, will have back-up cameras as STANDARD equipment! That's big in my book. Never realized the importance of how well these aids assist in backing up. Our new Silverado can back up exactly onto a trailer hitch in one try. Drop the tongue and hook er up & go! Love these new aids which are now available for our rides!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

trb wrote:I pulled out the camera I got and tried it in the CHMSL to see how it would work. Dors not look bad, but I have no idea how well it will aim and if it blocks the light too much.

[url=http://s635.photobucket.com/user/trbsta ... 8.jpg.html]

Love this idea?

were you able to get this functional?
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

trb wrote:I pulled out the camera I got and tried it in the CHMSL to see how it would work. Dors not look bad, but I have no idea how well it will aim and if it blocks the light too much.

I love this idea.
Were you able to get this functional?
Have a photo of the screen's view from this angle?