Always On Cigarette Lighter Socket

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
danlee

Always On Cigarette Lighter Socket

Post by danlee »

2009 Pontiac Vibe 2wd 2.4L

I want to make my Cigarette Lighter outlet 'Always On', so I can use it to charge my USB devices with an USB adapter. I have several questions.

1. How do I remove the outlet from the console to get to the wires? I removed the radio & shifter bezels, but can't get the bezel off that holds the AC & Lighter outlets.

2. I would opt to install a jumper in the fuse panel connection to connect a hot 12 Volts to the wire that feeds the Lighter outlet, but I removed all of the fuses, one at a time, and the power(key on) never went off the lighter. There is a 15 Amp fuse in the location marked Inverter & lighter, but removing that fuse did not disable the lighter. Where is the fuse that feeds the lighter?
vibrologist

Re: Always On Cigarette Lighter Socket

Post by vibrologist »

Answer to 1: pull the dial off the fan switch, remove the hidden screw.

Question 2, I don't know.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

1) Not really sure on the second gens...

2) Double check to see if there's a fuse in both the underhood and under-dash fuse box.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

I left the original receptacle as is because it powers my dash cam and triggers it to come on when the receptacle receives power.

I added a triple receptacle splitter together with a USB receptacle in the cubby under the radio.

I got it off the shelf at Walmart and it is nearly a perfect fit. I did cut out the back of the cubby.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/INSTEN-Three- ... k/28884661

I cut the plug from the cord and hardwired it to an always on source. I don't remember what source I used but be sure you have an adequate source for powering multiple devices.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
AZSage

Post by AZSage »

Here is detailed description on how to remove heater bezel cigarette lighter and inverter (see PDF attached)
Pontiac Vibe Bezel 1.pdf
Removal of Vibe AC heater bezel
(423.61 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
: