Radio issues using AM 2009 vibe

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
steve2112

Radio issues using AM 2009 vibe

Post by steve2112 »

So i bought a clarion fz150 because i had the broken volume knob issue and i wanted a radio with an sd card and usb slot. I got everything at crutchfield.

We installed the radio with do no real issue and i only broke 3 of the 4 clips when taking off the lower dash.. We hooked up the red 12v wire to the ac control like the harness instructed. The just said to connect it to a wire that goes to a fuse.

Right comes on and the FM is great. The AM is not working at all. I get absolutely nothing but static. I know the 2009 vib has crappy AM issues and the stock radio was really poor but now i have nothing. Is there anything i missed? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

steve
jolt

Re: Radio issues using AM 2009 vibe

Post by jolt »

You could try a different antenna plugged into the radio to see if AM would work but if everything else with the radio is working, I would think it is a defective radio if you have all the wiring properly hooked up. You should contact Crutchfield to see what they have to say about it.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

In order for the AM radio to get its antenna signal, you must connect the "blue" color power antenna & amp cont. There is a power antenna booter type amplifer in the back of the car..... So you must make the connection to your new radio...

You may have thought that this blue wire ( on the Metra connections) was for a power antenna "motor", but it servers two purposes.

It should be on pin #2 of the radio X2 connector (that is the OEM plug in the dash).....

I learned this just as you did with no AM signal and a good FM signal.
Last edited by ParknVibe on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

I took the RED wire (12 volts Switched Power) at pin#1 connection in the Metra connection and relocated to match up with Pin #13 of the X1 connection of the OEM connector plug. (the ignition voltage) The Metra connector plug has a white plastic "locking pin" running through the case, if you pull that pin out then the wire pins can come out.
I have the service manual for the car, so I know what's what.
If you don't understand any of this, then don't do it.
steve2112

Post by steve2112 »

Ok i will take that into account.

I am going to remove the unit and take a look at the plugs. There was one wire i think on the harness that was shrink sealed off and said in the instructions its not uses. It might have been the power antenna. I am not sure. I need to pull it out to check.

If this is something i feel uncomfortable doing can any install place do it?

edit: Misspellings
steve2112

Post by steve2112 »

Just a follow up. I got a new radio because i didnt like the way the clarion felt. I hooked it up to the harness and this time the connections from the new radio matched better and I connected the wires to a new radios power antenenna label wire and it worked just fine.

The reception in general is pretty good but i was thinking of getting a simple am/fm signal booster to wire up. Has anyone had any luck with these. I mean they are 6 - 10 bucks so if it improves the radio reception 20% or so it is probably worth it.

steve

edit: something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/251194134974
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

They still make those power antenna boosters? I have not seen one since the 70's
Did you try to program the radio with the Local/Distance options?

What is the new Radio Brand?....Model? I just installed the Jensen VX7020....only because of the low price...plus I had to add a $120 Onstar interface kit.
steve2112

Post by steve2112 »

I got this radio http://www.crutchfield.com/p_023ADEL130 ... ml?tp=5684

It was 79.99 and it works really well it seems.

The radio booster is like 8 bucks so i am going to install it and let you know how it works. Like I said before, for 7 bucks, if i get a 20% boost i will be happy.

On the downside i lost one of the mounting screws that connects the mounting kit to the vibe's dash and i can find a part number or a replace screw. If anyone has an idea where to look let me know.

I also am going to fix the old radios knob, or at least try to, and sell it on ebay or here if anyone wants it.

steve
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

You can use one of the screws from the OEM radio...perhaps....

I am surprised that you didn't get a system with a CD player and perhaps Navigation.
steve2112

Post by steve2112 »

I had about about 125 bucks for a radio. I really wanted just a SD card / usb drive. We already have a decent garmin that me and the wife share between cars.

edit: I have about 50 cd's in my car completely scratched up. NO MORE CDS

I need the screws that you screw the mounting kits into the car not the screws that mount the radio to the mounting kit.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

steve2112 wrote:I had about about 125 bucks for a radio. I really wanted just a SD card / usb drive. We already have a decent garmin that me and the wife share between cars.

edit: I have about 50 cd's in my car completely scratched up. NO MORE CDS

I need the screws that you screw the mounting kits into the car not the screws that mount the radio to the mounting kit.
Oh you mean the four hex head bolts? Two of which are deep in there. I made sure that I had some sticky puddy on the socket head to hold the bolt to it as as pull it out and put it in. In fact the bolts already had sticky gue on them already.

I don't play any CD's in the car either...unless I will go on a long long trip.
danlee

Post by danlee »

ParknVibe wrote:I took the RED wire (12 volts Switched Power) at pin#1 connection in the Metra connection and relocated to match up with Pin #13 of the X1 connection of the OEM connector plug. (the ignition voltage) The Metra connector plug has a white plastic "locking pin" running through the case, if you pull that pin out then the wire pins can come out.
I have the service manual for the car, so I know what's what.
If you don't understand any of this, then don't do it.
Which pin is Pin #13? There are 8 pins in each row. Starting with the RED wire at Pin #1 to Pin #8 in one row, then Pin #9 is either across from Pin # 1, or across from Pin #8.

I tried to use what I thought was Pin # 13 to power my head unit, but I got no power, key OFF or ON.
danlee

Post by danlee »

I found the Ignition Pin by turning the key on, and probing all of the sockets in the OEM connector until I found one with 12 Volts. Then I turned the key off, and verified the voltage went away.

I had to remove the pin with the Red wire from the Metra connector, but I broke the pin in the process. Now I need to buy a new connector, but I'll have plenty of spare pins.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

danlee wrote:I found the Ignition Pin by turning the key on, and probing all of the sockets in the OEM connector until I found one with 12 Volts. Then I turned the key off, and verified the voltage went away.

I had to remove the pin with the Red wire from the Metra connector, but I broke the pin in the process. Now I need to buy a new connector, but I'll have plenty of spare pins.
I hope the following cross section diagram of the X1 connector can help:

____ ____ Top interlock clip
| |__| |_
____| |____
| 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 |
| 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 |
|_----------___---------___| Flat bottom of shell.

I believe the #13 wire is a Gray color.
#14 pin is NOT used or there is no wire there.
# 15 wire is White
#16 wire is Dark Green
Note: I drew the diagram and I see it as correctly drawn in my edit post, but it is not viewing correctly on the your submit.

Did the Metra connector have a white plastic pin in it? Just pull that out and the wires and pins become lose. Did you pull the broken pin out in the wrong direction? I can not remember which way they came out.