Backup Camera Wiring

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
TheGoat31

Backup Camera Wiring

Post by TheGoat31 »

I have been looking over the forum for good posts on installing a backup camera in their Vibe and wiring it to the reverse gear wire so it automatically shows the camera when you shift into reverse. So far everyone is doing it differently and in multiple locations. I have a 2007 Vibe and I just installed a Pioneer AppRadio 3 in it and everything works great. I have a backup camera camera but before I start to install I was hoping I could get some advice on the easiest place to get a 12v power supply (preferably in the rear of car) and where to tape into the reverse gear wire (again preferably in the rear of the car). The video cable I know obviously goes to the video in port on the back of the radio as I have the wire connected already but just coiled and secured for now until I get the rest of the wiring complete. Instructions, pictures, diagrams are all welcomed for this project.

Thanks,

TheGoat
ParknVibe

Re: Backup Camera Wiring

Post by ParknVibe »

Okay, You take the reverse wire from the radio, The red wire from the camera, (assumed it is red), and take a tap from the backup light lead (between the light and the fuse block). and attached them all together. I made up a Y-plug so that I can unplug the thing from the radio.

Plug your yellow RCA into the radio. And connect the black ground wire from the camera to the chassis ground bolt.

That is basically it.

The power from the backup light power's the camera and turns on the display in the radio.
TheGoat31

Post by TheGoat31 »

Is there a good location to tap into the backup light lead? Also is there a good indicator of which wire going to the backup light is the lead wire?

Thanks for all the help.

TheGoat
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Th easiest location would be at the light. But that is only if the camera wire is a short length. (that is only met to go to the light) You still have to add a wire from the radio....the reverse lead)

My Clarion camera came with a special short multi cable and a special plug extension wire that extends the length to the front of the car. This cable also had the RCA Video wire in it. At the front end it had a three foot long red and black wires.
I tapped the red wire to the backup wire at the plug that went into the fuse block.

I have the complete service manual for the 2009 Vibe...which shows and labels every wire (including wiring diagrams) of all major electrical systems in the car....

I can not tell you anything about the 2003-2008 Vibe models.
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

Bumping an old thread... I've got the service manual with full radio pinouts for my 2009 Vibe, but I don't see a reverse wire labeled. Which one is it?
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

kumquat wrote:Bumping an old thread... I've got the service manual with full radio pinouts for my 2009 Vibe, but I don't see a reverse wire labeled. Which one is it?
Look in Volume 2 book page 11-144 fuse block I/P X1 (bottom left of page) Pin #30. "backup lamp control"

then look at the fuse block front view on page 11-141 you will see X1 wire connection plug. the red wire is at the bottom on the plug.

The fuse block is located behind the small left storage tray next to the steering wheel. You have to pull off the panel with tray, and disconnect two wire plugs to the switch thats on the panel . This will give you easy access to the Fuse Block.

Tap into that red wire at pin #30 with the camera red wire and with the radio's reverse wire lead.
I used a snap-on wire splice connector on to the red wire. The pin # 30 red wire goes directly to the rear backup lights.
When the backup light has voltage, that same voltage will power the camera and turn on the video display to show the image from the camera.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

kumquat wrote:Bumping an old thread... I've got the service manual with full radio pinouts for my 2009 Vibe, but I don't see a reverse wire labeled. Which one is it?
There is no reverse wire at the radio's OEM plugs. Are you goes to keep the Onstar? that another long story on my part.
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

ParknVibe wrote:
There is no reverse wire at the radio's OEM plugs. Are you goes to keep the Onstar? that another long story on my part.
Ah that makes sense. I thought I was missing something.

I've already got an aftermarket stereo, but am upgrading to a navigation unit that needs a reverse wire hookup. I don't have Onstar hooked up right now and have no plans to change that.

Thanks.