Drl issues, help

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
WestC4

Drl issues, help

Post by WestC4 »

Hi guys, I read the DIY post on how to dissa me the dlr so I could maually turn my headlights on and off with the headlight switch. The post said the easiest way is to just unhook the sensor in the driver side dash, however, after doing this it only allowed me full manual control of the headlights when the key is in acc or on (car not runnnig). As soon as the car is started the headlights still co me on! So how do I make my headlights old school where I have to manually turn them on and off, cause I'm so sick of having them on all the time!!!

Please help
Thams West C4
ColonelPanic

Re: Drl issues, help

Post by ColonelPanic »

Unplugging the sensor only disables the automatic light control (e.g. what automatically turns on all lights at night.) You still have DRL's with that method and must manually turn your lights on as conditions warrant.

There are some DRL-disable threads around here somewhere that will show you how to accomplish what you're looking for.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

Out of curiosity, why does it bother you that the DRLs are on while driving? How do you even tell, much less get annoyed by it?
WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

Thanks for the info, don't know what all conditions you mean, but thanks for explaining why they are still on while the engine is running. I guess I'm just more old school and prefer to have control of my car's electrical systems and other preferences about other things with the car. I'm not a big fan of automatic controls, and headlights just happen to be one of those things I want to be able to turn on and off at my discretion.
WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

By the way, cod someone please help direct me on how to rewire, dissa me the dlr's, I'm having a hard time locating the threads that to about this
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

WestC4 wrote:Thanks for the info, don't know what all conditions you mean, but thanks for explaining why they are still on while the engine is running.
By that I meant when it is dark, overcast, raining, any other time visibility of your vehicle is impaired. Unlike many I see who have DRL's but no automatic lights and never remember to turn their lights on when they should and are seen driving on the highway at night with no tail lights because they see light from their DRL's up front and assume the rest of their lights are on. :shock: A bit dangerous...

This thread may help, it dates back to the early days of the Vibe.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=897" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image Image
WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

thanks a lot for the link! and I know what you mean, I see that all the time when its raining and the people have their wipers on, but no headlights. it is very frustrating, and understand now better how my desired mod will affect the car. it will put the car's headlight controls exactly how I want them. I am not one of those people who forget to turn on their headlights because they assume all the lights are always on. this is the first car I have owned that has had some form of automatic headlights, and im now used to it, nor do I particularly care for it. I prefer to turn my headlights on and off manually, mainly because I have always had to.

I'm not doing this to be unsafe, just a personal preference on how I feel the controls should be
thanks colonelpanic

West C4
WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

dude, super easy, thanks for the hook up on the thread
West C4
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

No problem! Good luck with the project. 8-)

Image Image
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

DRLs exist for a reason; they significantly increase the visibility of a car even in broad daylight. I'll never understand why someone would want to disable such a safety feature for no reason at all.
WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

kumquat wrote:DRLs exist for a reason; they significantly increase the visibility of a car even in broad daylight. I'll never understand why someone would want to disable such a safety feature for no reason at all.
I'm not sure why you are so upset by this, kumquat? Why do you think this and every other forum exists? Cause I like many people thrive on wrenching/personalizing my car! The same reason aftermarket companies exist, exhaust, interior, etc...
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

WestC4 wrote:
kumquat wrote:DRLs exist for a reason; they significantly increase the visibility of a car even in broad daylight. I'll never understand why someone would want to disable such a safety feature for no reason at all.
I'm not sure why you are so upset by this, kumquat? Why do you think this and every other forum exists? Cause I like many people thrive on wrenching/personalizing my car! The same reason aftermarket companies exist, exhaust, interior, etc...
I don't recall saying I was upset.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

It's no different than driving an older vehicle that is not equipped with DRLs. Just sayin'...
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

vibenvy wrote:It's no different than driving an older vehicle that is not equipped with DRLs. Just sayin'...
I have actually nearly hit a dark blue Nissan Sentra because it did not contrast well enough against the road and I very nearly could not see it close to evening.

Whether or not it's like an older car, it's still a consideration to make. If you are driving in the rain or the evening, it can be hard to see other cars, especially when you consider the fact you aren't 100% attentive every single time you drive, the whole time you drive. It's something you do very often, grow comfortable with, and can occasionally just go on auto-pilot with. They're not there for you so much as for other people, and they must help at least a little, otherwise I can't see any manufacturers going through the trouble of adding DRL in at all.

Well, actually, I could see BMW doing it. BMW does a lot of weird stuff, like put actual modules in every single exterior light. Or charge $240 for a bi-xenon lightbulb.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

kumquat wrote:
WestC4 wrote:
I don't recall saying I was upset.
Must have just been a misunderstanding, just how it came across to me
WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

lannvouivre wrote:
vibenvy wrote:It's no different than driving an older vehicle that is not equipped with DRLs. Just sayin'...
I have actually nearly hit a dark blue Nissan Sentra because it did not contrast well enough against the road and I very nearly could not see it close to evening.

Whether or not it's like an older car, it's still a consideration to make. If you are driving in the rain or the evening, it can be hard to see other cars, especially when you consider the fact you aren't 100% attentive every single time you drive, the whole time you drive. It's something you do very often, grow comfortable with, and can occasionally just go on auto-pilot with. They're not there for you so much as for other people, and they must help at least a little, otherwise I can't see any manufacturers going through the trouble of adding DRL in at all.

Well, actually, I could see BMW doing it. BMW does a lot of weird stuff, like put actual modules in every single exterior light. Or charge $240 for a bi-xenon lightbulb.
I get that the perposse of the dlr's is for both the driver and other motorists, however, like I said before, I've never had a car with auto headlights, and am just used to having to manually turn them on/off.
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

WestC4 wrote:
lannvouivre wrote:

I get that the perposse of the dlr's is for both the driver and other motorists, however, like I said before, I've never had a car with auto headlights, and am just used to having to manually turn them on/off.
Then just unplug/remove the sensor. Fully manual.
striker1211

Post by striker1211 »

Remember to order the Toyota switch mentioned in the threads to toggle it. It looks awesome like it was supposed to be stock. I have mine so the light lights up when the DRLs are on and its off when they are off. Easy peasy. The switch was $10 but I had to get it on eBay for that price.
My Vehicle: 2008 Vibe Moon & Tunes 1.8L ATX