Installing backup camera on 2008 vibe

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
meall

Installing backup camera on 2008 vibe

Post by meall »

Hello,

Me again!

I received my camera today:

http://www.crimestopper.com/products/sa ... 8emII.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks well done and is very small, way smaller than I was expecting!

That said, I need to install it this week and I have a few questions:

- what is the best way to wire the camera video cable to the front the of car without messing up too much panels in the way there?
- is it possible to get an always on 12V (not only active when lights are on or when driving back) to connect the camera? I would prefer not having to wire the cable all the way to the front for this simple task.

Any other good advise is welcome.
Last edited by meall on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vibe 2008Dark GrayManualElectric group (doors, windows, etc)
ParknVibe

Re: Installing backup camera on 2008 vibe

Post by ParknVibe »

I just installed a backup camera in my 2009 VIbe. The wire that you shown in your camera link is nearly exactly like my Clarion CC510 camera...with that special thin four wire plug.
So that all the wiring must be wired up under the dash and to the radio. You must locate the backup light wire feed at the fuse block (under the left side of the steering wheel)
You then must tap into that wire and to the radio's reverse wire with same red camera wire. I made a Y-plug using 1/8" stereo plugs (male and females) and brought both wires to the radio and connected all three wires using the Y-connector plug. That way you can disconnect any one if you need to replace or remove something. My backup lite wire is a red wire at the last pin #30. I tap a three foot long red wire to that wire and brought it to the radio (with a female plug at the end ) Added a female plug to the camera's red wire. Made a Y-connector using two male plugs to the radio's reverse wire. When you put the car into reverse, the backup wire will power both the camera and the video display on the radio.
The black ground wire was connected to a dedicated grounding bolt I found behind the radio.

As for the routing of the wiring, just pull of the floor trim covers at the foot of the driver's side doors and follow the wire to the back under center post and then lift up the edge of the rear seat. You will be able to feed through to the rear.
meall

Post by meall »

Hi,

I looked at it the evening, and realized I have an issue with the camera mounting to the vibe... I have a 2008 model.

I was going to install it near the handle on the back door (to the left of it, where there is space) but when I looked at it, I realized that the handle panel is outside the car metal. It is a bit difficult to explain, but the handle support of the Vibe backdoor is an add-on part outside the car main metal frame. That means the camera parts that should be hidden in the car trunk will be outside and most likely be exposed to outside weather and such.

Do you have any recommendation on how to safely install the camera to the car so that it won’t affect the performance or durability of the camera? (i.e.: maybe covering the camera with some insulation?)

Thanks
meall

Post by meall »

ParknVibe wrote:I just installed a backup camera in my 2009 VIbe. The wire that you shown in your camera link is nearly exactly like my Clarion CC510 camera...with that special thin four wire plug.
So that all the wiring must be wired up under the dash and to the radio. You must locate the backup light wire feed at the fuse block (under the left side of the steering wheel)
You then must tap into that wire and to the radio's reverse wire with same red camera wire. I made a Y-plug using 1/8" stereo plugs (male and females) and brought both wires to the radio and connected all three wires using the Y-connector plug. That way you can disconnect any one if you need to replace or remove something. My backup lite wire is a red wire at the last pin #30. I tap a three foot long red wire to that wire and brought it to the radio (with a female plug at the end ) Added a female plug to the camera's red wire. Made a Y-connector using two male plugs to the radio's reverse wire. When you put the car into reverse, the backup wire will power both the camera and the video display on the radio.
The black ground wire was connected to a dedicated grounding bolt I found behind the radio.

As for the routing of the wiring, just pull of the floor trim covers at the foot of the driver's side doors and follow the wire to the back under center post and then lift up the edge of the rear seat. You will be able to feed through to the rear.
First, I forgot to mention I have a Pioneer App Radio 2 installed in my Vibe, which have an input for back camera connectivity in it. I guess that the wiring of the radio is already connected to the backup interrupter of the car. I paid to have it installed, so because I did not do it myself, I may be wrong about this.

Thanks ParknVibe, but you lost me hard with your explanation :oops:

I have removed the plastic on the back door of the Vibe inside, and explored there a bit.

If I do understand you correctly, there is no way to get a 12V for the camera in any of the wires available inside the back door? The wire (red/ground) of the camera is very short (4-6 feet at most). So I'll have to buy and run an extension from the front to the back for power?

I was trying to start from the back of the car to the front. I think I found where to go with the video cable in the door, but I will need a flexible metal rod to help its passage. From there, I'll have to have the cable run through a small flexible rubber insulation tube and at that point, I will be inside the car and should be able to run the cable down in the trunk, then to the front.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

I somehow sent you a private reply...I don't see it here posted...
However, I looked again at your camera galley of pictures...my mistake...you have the same special plug but then a second short set of wires that exits out with the RED wire, Ground wire, and a RCA plug. And then you have a long length of RCA video cable. So that in your case, you can tap into the rear backup light.... in the rear. At the radio you still have to tap into same backup light wire (after the switch (in shifter) or as I did... tap into the fuse block
under the dash. I have a complete set of Service Manuals of the 2009 Vibe....and spent a lot of time researching how the radio and backup circuits are wired before I attempted this project....And also I had to deal with the standard OnStar system as well.
meall

Post by meall »

I quoted your private message below for ease to follow the conversation, and for the benefits of everyone else.

Your last message makes more sense. I only have two wires (red and ground) and the video out is a standard RCA plug, with a long extension (probably 20 feet).

My Vibe 2008 is of the design that follow (not mine, mine is all dark gray):

I realized, by looking at google images, that the 2009 vibe have a totally different back door and license plate. I did not remember this difference. One of the issue, as shown in the image, is how the camera will be attached to the handle, which is a separate part from the car chassis, as shown by the tone differences between the handle bar and the car color on the image. I've contacted the manufacturer for hints on this.

I may have to search for the 2008 service manual to help me. Any idea where it can be found?

My guess is that the backup lights are the one down below at the bumper level. If so, my wires won't be long enough anyway.

I will look at the install manual of the radio to see if the harness already have the backup lights/shifter already plugged in. I guess so, just because it has been professionally installed and it supports backup camera. I have to validate this.

We have two different hatch door designs....where as you have the license plate mounted on the door and the 2009-2010 Vibe has it in the bumper....I mounted my camera next to the license plate light. The camera has a bracket and sticky mounting tape....I just had to stick it to surface. The camera that you show is the type that must be placed in a large 1 inch dia. hole of which you must drill. And you should drill through a plastic bumper or other body panel.

I also learn that the reverse wire from the radio must get the same 12 volts from the backup light circuit as does the camera... However, at first I did not wire that radio wire....I thought the signal in the yellow RCA plug made the picture come on. And it did....but NOT automatically....it was display on a separate aux display located on the radio option selection.... But for you to get the radio to auto switch to the backup image, you must wired as I original explained....The radio and camera instructions don't say this.

I have a 1/8 thick cox type cable from the camera (about 5 feet long) with a special 4 pin plug at the end. And then I have 20 foot or so length that runs from that connection to the front. At the front end is the RCA jack, the red 12 volt wire and the black ground with a ring connector. BTW: the red wire has a tube which has a fuse in it. If your camera has the RCA and the RED wire on the short length, then it is different from what you showed....
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

I am very sure that the OEM radio connector plugs are NOT "backup camera ready" or wired. Your best bet is to go back to your installer and ask him how he wired the radio to the OEM GM plugs.... Nearly every aftermarket radio has there own wiring harness.. Metra can provide you with the wire harness plug that mates into your make and model car....however you must splice the new radio harness to the Metra harness....But be warn that the RED ignition wire maybe located at a different pin location as I found with my 2009 vibe.
meall

Post by meall »

ParknVibe wrote:I am very sure that the OEM radio connector plugs are NOT "backup camera ready" or wired. Your best bet is to go back to your installer and ask him how he wired the radio to the OEM GM plugs.... Nearly every aftermarket radio has there own wiring harness.. Metra can provide you with the wire harness plug that mates into your make and model car....however you must splice the new radio harness to the Metra harness....But be warn that the RED ignition wire maybe located at a different pin location as I found with my 2009 vibe.
According to the App Radio install manual :

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Stati ... 021312.pdf

I have to validate if the Violet/white (REVERSE GEAR SIGNAL INPUT) in connected. If so, I guess, it means the wire should be connected to the backup gear, I guess...
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

I think you listed your car with a manual transmission??? Now that is something that I can not help you there...
Only that it is best to locate the backup light wire at the fuse block....(left side of the steering wheel) you have to pull off the plastic dash panel to see the wires. (I am only guessing about the 2008 Vibe. If it is still like my 2009...you will see two large plugs with small wires feeding it. The one on the left is what I tap into. a red wire at the last connection or pin # 30....that is my backup light (after the fuse) that goes directly to the light.

Also ...a more easier way is to just run a new red wire from the radio's Reverse wire back to the rear light and camera and connect them to the backup light.
and ground to a ground bolt.

Perhaps you look at my "My new radio story" I just posted here a few days ago.
meall

Post by meall »

Just in the car now, and you're right, the reverse gear signal output is not connected. So I'll have to dig deeper in the car wirering!!
meall

Post by meall »

hi,

So I investigated the car inside and out (mostly inside) to find out what I could do there. Here is the picture I took of the cable that is not attached to the radio and required to have the backup camera:

Considering I have to wire the video cable from the front to the back anyway, it should prove easier to wire at the same time a red cable as you mention in your previous post. It will be the same run anyway. I realized I did not have a cable long enough to do it, so I investigated the car only.

The reverse lights are really those on the bumper on the back. I tested it with the car transmission to the reverse direction to make sure. I went to the back of the car, and found where the cable harness for the reverse light is. See below:

the set of wire designated by the blue arrow is the cable that is going to the reverse light. Now the trick is to find out how to access it. It looks like a bunch of cables all taped together for a reason I can't explain. The space is quite limited if I do not want to remove all the back of the car.

By the way, I'm asking myself if the fuse block you were talking about is that part just near the foot rest:

I don't think so, as I think the fuse panel is above the shown space in the photo, but I could not find out how to remove the plastic around the steering wheel. I want to install a backup camera, not learn how to dismount and remount the car interior :)
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Yes you are showing the correct wire at the radio.
A backup light is normally a White lens light.....You would use a TAP-In squeeze connection....I used a Radio Shack # 6403053 for 22 to 18 gauge wire at the fuse block.
The fuse block connections you show are very different then what I have....
Check your owner manual about what fuse is for the backup light. And then try to trace the wiring. I would think the wire harness run along the floor on the driver's side.

How the fuse/ switch is wired....is the voltage goes through the switch and then it goes to fuse block from a separate harness... then it goes through the "fuse" ...then it comes out another harness connection ...which then goes to the backup light. My was a red wire to the light.

Hope that can help....

Maybe some one else here can help...concerning the 2008 model.
meall

Post by meall »

Thanks for your answer, I felt alone all that time without an answer :lol:

I found some information in the online owner's manual:
Gauge = Gauges and Meters,Back-Up Lamps, Charging System, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Sunroof, Air Conditioning, Cruise Control
Looks like the Gauge is the one for the backup-lights, but it is multipurpose, so I'm not so sure how to interpret that information...Not to mention that I have some problems matching what I see in the car with the image in the manual. Maybe you have more experience with that type of information.

That said, I successfully routed 2 wires and the video cable from the back of the radio to the trunk. The video cable is even in the door, ready to be connected to the camera. I routed 2 wires, simply because they are cheap, and if I need another one eventually, I can have a backup in the trunk. I tried looking at the door electricity wiring to see if I could find a 12V to connect the camera directly, instead of using one of the wire I passed today. There is a lot of wires already in the door, I can't imagine there is none of them that can send an always on 12V...

Anyway, enough for tonight, it is dark outside now and even with light in the garage, it is boring :)

Thanks again
meall

Post by meall »

I found this post of the 2008 model wiring :

viewtopic.php?t=25185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure I do understand all of it, but a good start!
meall

Post by meall »

After reading the list of cables and possibilities in the thread I mentioned in previous post, I think I may have a solution:

I should connect, using of of the cable I routed to the back, the camera power (RED) cable to the Accessory GRAY(+)RADIO HARNESS. That way, the camera should get power all the time when the car is on. Would prefer to have the camera receiving power all time, so I can use it even if I'm not in reverse driving. I read of many people on the net who did connect it only to the reverse position, and they regret it.

Also, the reverse gear signal input of the HU (violet wire) should be connected to the Reverse Lights RED/BLACK(+)PIN 11 AT THE PCM CONNECTOR 3 I took a picture (see below) of the back of the fuse block to help me, but the space is very tight and is difficult to distinguish that wire from the other one. That is what I just hate about car mod, the cramped space we have to work in!

trb

Post by trb »

Looks like you are coming along on this project! One thing I can add regarding the reverse lights is that the wiring for the lights goes through the manual transmission and is powered by a reverse light switch on the top of the transmission. I have a short in mine somewhere, as the Gauges fuse blows when I put it in reverse, but once I unplugged the wires at the transmission, it stopped blowing.

If you want to use the camera more often than only when in reverse, I would probably wire the power up to a separate switch in the dash that would provide 12v on demand in one position, and 12v only when the car is in reverse in the other position.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

The PCM and its connectors are behind the glove box. The driver's side fuse box is behind the cubby hole to the left of the steering wheel. If you lie the back of your head on that footrest and look straight up, you will see the I/P fuse box. An easier place to splice would be into the yellow-tan wire in the ignition harness inside the steering column. I have no idea what it's voltage is, though, because the multimeter I have is an old, cheap analog version that's...scaled confusingly. I'm used to digital models, plus my hands shake so bad I can't stay on the wire and get a good reading.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

meall wrote:After reading the list of cables and possibilities in the thread I mentioned in previous post, I think I may have a solution:

I should connect, using of of the cable I routed to the back, the camera power (RED) cable to the Accessory GRAY(+)RADIO HARNESS. That way, the camera should get power all the time when the car is on. Would prefer to have the camera receiving power all time, so I can use it even if I'm not in reverse driving. I read of many people on the net who did connect it only to the reverse position, and they regret it.

Also, the reverse gear signal input of the HU (violet wire) should be connected to the Reverse Lights RED/BLACK(+)PIN 11 AT THE PCM CONNECTOR 3 I took a picture (see below) of the back of the fuse block to help me, but the space is very tight and is difficult to distinguish that wire from the other one. That is what I just hate about car mod, the cramped space we have to work in!

This picture and the third one showing your plug....appears to be of what is behind a lower kick panel next to your left foot rest. The fuse block is directly behind the lower dash panel above what you are showing....if I am not mistaken. There maybe a few switches and a pull down storage tray in the panel.
meall

Post by meall »

Hi all,

thanks for the multiple replies! more information that I can digest in one turn. I had to read you all multiple times!!!

I went into the back of the glove box, and I thing I found what I was looking for, see this picture:

The blue arrow shows the red/black wire, if I'm correct.
ParknVibe wrote:This picture and the third one showing your plug....appears to be of what is behind a lower kick panel next to your left foot rest. The fuse block is directly behind the lower dash panel above what you are showing....if I am not mistaken. There maybe a few switches and a pull down storage tray in the panel.
You're right, it is the panel to the left of the driving wheel.
lannvouivre wrote:The PCM and its connectors are behind the glove box. The driver's side fuse box is behind the cubby hole to the left of the steering wheel. If you lie the back of your head on that footrest and look straight up, you will see the I/P fuse box.
I saw the fuse box, very well hidden, and not easy to access with my large hands!
lannvouivre wrote: An easier place to splice would be into the yellow-tan wire in the ignition harness inside the steering column. I have no idea what it's voltage is, though, because the multimeter I have is an old, cheap analog version that's...scaled confusingly. I'm used to digital models, plus my hands shake so bad I can't stay on the wire and get a good reading.
I'm not sure what you are referring to in the second part of your message. Are you talking about splicing for backup lights, or more likely for the camera power source to get a 12V?
trb wrote:Looks like you are coming along on this project! One thing I can add regarding the reverse lights is that the wiring for the lights goes through the manual transmission and is powered by a reverse light switch on the top of the transmission. I have a short in mine somewhere, as the Gauges fuse blows when I put it in reverse, but once I unplugged the wires at the transmission, it stopped blowing.
Nice to see you back. I wonder where you were all that time :)

I guess the red/black wire shown in the previous picture should be the same wire found on the transmission top, right? If so, the globe box is an easy to access wire, now it has been removed.
trb wrote:If you want to use the camera more often than only when in reverse, I would probably wire the power up to a separate switch in the dash that would provide 12v on demand in one position, and 12v only when the car is in reverse in the other position.
sounds interesting, but how do we get there?

After a good night speed, I also figured out that maybe the Accessory wire of the radio may not provide the required 12V for the camera. I'm not sure that taping to the Battery wire of the radio is better, as it may keep the camera up even when the car is stopped. That I'm not so sure about this.

I tried yesterday to find a source for 12V directly in the hatch door with a multimeter, but I have not yet be successful. I must say, I'm not the best guy to use a multimeter either :lol:

So far, I removed so many plastic parts and screw on that car, I hope I won't have left over after I'm finished ;)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

meall wrote:I'm not sure what you are referring to in the second part of your message. Are you talking about splicing for backup lights, or more likely for the camera power source to get a 12V?
Yes, although now that I think about it, it may be a constant 12V. Let me see which wire is hot only in run/start.

Go and use the diagrams they have here:
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/ve ... grams.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Says IGN position 1 and 2 are black/white and black/yellow, respectively. Using a test light, hook the clamp end to a good ground and poke the whitish-tannish-yellowish wire (mine was faded) with the car off. The light should light up, showing you the light is good. Now poke into the two other wires I mentioned and toggle the ignition switch to see which position those wires have power on.

Once you decide which wire you want to use, you can use a normally open relay to control voltage going to the camera. The part that's straight through should be hooked to the wire you chose, and the camera wire will be on the side with the switch if you don't mind running a wire to the battery for the power. When the ignition wire is hot (ON/RUN), the switch will close and let power go to the camera. That's how I would do it if I was worried about preventing another device from getting enough voltage.

I think the cigarette lighter may also carry the voltage you need under the conditions you want as it is off when the car is off, so you can splice there if necessary. Do you have a multimeter at all? I'd be happy to check voltage for you, but I can't afford a DMM I can actually read right now.

Removing the steering column cover, by the way, only takes 3 philips-head screws. One's under the center, the other two you have to turn the steering wheel right and left to get good access to.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Wow this place brings back memories.

Easiest way to hook the camera up so it is use able any time the car is on would be to tap an accessory wire and a reverse wire using 2 relays to keep the circuits separate. I have a diagram for the relay wiring that I will dig out a little later for you.

For the reverse wire I always pull at the rear lamp as you have to run video cable from rear to front so it is not much more work and easier then splicing under a dash. Using a relay any accessory wire will work I would just pull from the lighter plug in the dash.

I will grab the diagram for you in a few.

Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
meall

Post by meall »

lannvouivre wrote:I think the cigarette lighter may also carry the voltage you need under the conditions you want as it is off when the car is off, so you can splice there if necessary. Do you have a multimeter at all? I'd be happy to check voltage for you, but I can't afford a DMM I can actually read right now.
I just come back from the garage, where I ask a few question to my "car guy". He also suggested the lighter plug, but he said that the camera will keep up all the time. I told him that the Vibe, as far as I can remember, "disconnect" the lighter plug when the car is off. He was sceptic about it, but I'm pretty sure it is the case. You just confirm my car is not a production error!!
lannvouivre wrote:Do you have a multimeter at all? I'd be happy to check voltage for you, but I can't afford a DMM I can actually read right now.
Yes, while I'm no expert at using it tho...
audiovibe wrote:Wow this place brings back memories.

Easiest way to hook the camera up so it is use able any time the car is on would be to tap an accessory wire and a reverse wire using 2 relays to keep the circuits separate. I have a diagram for the relay wiring that I will dig out a little later for you.

For the reverse wire I always pull at the rear lamp as you have to run video cable from rear to front so it is not much more work and easier then splicing under a dash. Using a relay any accessory wire will work I would just pull from the lighter plug in the dash.

I will grab the diagram for you in a few.

Aron
after much thinking, I think I may do this without any relay or anything tricky. While I passed the video cable, I also routed 2 wires. I can use one to connect the camera to the 12V lighter plug (behind the transmission console). Then I can use the other to connect the radio reverse gear input wire to the back of the Vibe to the reverse light (red cable in the harness if I refer to your cabling diagram). That way, I should have to different circuit for the two tasks to accomplish, and no need for a relay of any kind. Am I right?

The think is how do I get to the proper wire in the trunk for the reverse light. The cable is placed in a very confine area, and I have not find the way yet to access it easily. Maybe the plastic can be remove, but I have not find out how yet...

See some pics of that wire harness below:

audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

[quote="meall"}

after much thinking, I think I may do this without any relay or anything tricky. While I passed the video cable, I also routed 2 wires. I can use one to connect the camera to the 12V lighter plug (behind the transmission console). Then I can use the other to connect the radio reverse gear input wire to the back of the Vibe to the reverse light (red cable in the harness if I refer to your cabling diagram). That way, I should have to different circuit for the two tasks to accomplish, and no need for a relay of any kind. Am I right?

The think is how do I get to the proper wire in the trunk for the reverse light. The cable is placed in a very confine area, and I have not find the way yet to access it easily. Maybe the plastic can be remove, but I have not find out how yet...

See some pics of that wire harness below:

Image[/quote]

That is correct! While I am a fan of using relays for any power switching application you will be fine without one for wiring a camera the conventional way. The relay would be needed in an instance where you would be powering the camera and reverse input with two independent forms of power, I.E. The conventional way when reversing; and using a switch to operate the camera any time you want it

To get power and video into the hatch is the fun part! I would rum the cables up the c pillar and across the roof. It has been some time since I've owned my Vibe but there should be a rubber boot.

I would remove the boot from the body and hatch side so it is compressible

I would use a fish tape (Long flexible thin spring steel normally used in home installs found at home improvement stores) and run it from the top of the hatch through the hole where the grommet was. ( you could also use some spare wire but the wire may get caught up taking more time)

Attach the camera wires to the fish tape and slowly pull them back through the hatch and out the grommet.

Using a hair drier I would heat up the rubber boot to make it ply-able and massage the camera wires through.
( I would not use a heat gun for this operation)

Feed wires through the body side grommet hole across the roof to one side and down.

Make connection at reverse lamp for radio. (you can also tie the camera power into reverse lamp. You would only need a switched source if you were wanting to operate the camera when not in reverse)

Feed the power and video cable up to the radio and make connection.

Should be good to go

I would still test the connections with a DMM turn the car to on, set parking brake, put car in reverse. With DMM set to 20V probe your wires. when you find the +12v put the car in park and test the wire again, it should read 0v. That should be your wire.

I can't remember off the top of my head if the Vibe switches the negative or positive. If it is a negative that is switched then a simple relay wire up would be needed.

Aron
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

You will probably need to remove the rear panels one one side to get the the wire to the roof.

To get the rear side panels off remove the 4 10MM bolts holding the cargo rings on and snap the lower panel off.
The clips are around the edges on the rear and clipped to the upper panel. there are a couple clips in the middle.

To separate from the top panel remove lower rear access door grabbing from the top front corner of the cubby holding the upper panel in place give the lower a couple gentle tugs. Once you get a feel for it the rear comes apart pretty easily

You will need to pull the weather stripping away from the hatch and the rear door as the weather striping helps secure the panels.

Fold the rear seat forward and rotate the panel over the rear seat latch.

Remove the rear seat belt upper bolt from the upper c pillar and the top panel just pops right off.
trb

Post by trb »

meall wrote:
trb wrote:Looks like you are coming along on this project! One thing I can add regarding the reverse lights is that the wiring for the lights goes through the manual transmission and is powered by a reverse light switch on the top of the transmission. I have a short in mine somewhere, as the Gauges fuse blows when I put it in reverse, but once I unplugged the wires at the transmission, it stopped blowing.
Nice to see you back. I wonder where you were all that time :)

I guess the red/black wire shown in the previous picture should be the same wire found on the transmission top, right? If so, the globe box is an easy to access wire, now it has been removed.
I've been here, just didn't have much input on the wiring particulars! I haven't done much wiring to the Vibes, but have great diagrams and lots of experience wiring my Mustang!

I looked at my trans plug and both wires are red, one has a black stripe, the other a white stripe. And they are a very small gauge wire. So the color must change along the way.
meall wrote:
trb wrote:If you want to use the camera more often than only when in reverse, I would probably wire the power up to a separate switch in the dash that would provide 12v on demand in one position, and 12v only when the car is in reverse in the other position.
sounds interesting, but how do we get there?
I was thinking relays also, since you don't want to connect the two 12v sources at any point in the wiring or the reverse lights might get a back-fed current through the camera and turn on when you flip the switch while not in reverse. Might give someone behind you a heart attack!
meall wrote: After a good night speed, I also figured out that maybe the Accessory wire of the radio may not provide the required 12V for the camera. I'm not sure that taping to the Battery wire of the radio is better, as it may keep the camera up even when the car is stopped. That I'm not so sure about this.
It would depend on which battery wire you use. The keyed on power wire should be an OK source since it will be off when the key is off. Just don't use the clock power lead. But the power port/lighter is a good option too.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
meall

Post by meall »

My garage guy was very kind with me. First, he found and printed for me the wiring diagram for the Vibe. Then, he put in my hands his tool to test the car wiring (a screwdriver with a plier on the other end for the ground. It lights up red if I get current and lights red, and even show the voltage. That confirms some finding I made with my multimeter, so I'm not that stupid with that tool in my hands after all :)

Ok, so after another few hours in and out of the car this evening, I found something interesting, and a puzzling one.

Like I was expecting, there is a source directly in the hatch door that is giving me an always on (when on Accessory mode or running) 12V to power the camera without having to route a cable to the front of the car. That wire is the blue wire in the harness that connects to the back window wiper (see pictures). To make sure it works as expected, I screwed the ground of the camera to the wiper motor bloc, and pushed the red cable into the hole of the blue wire so it makes contact. I then connected the video cable to the camera and to the HU, and tested the camera with the radio: I got an image on screen!

Pictures of my 12V source in the hatch door/wiper motor:

Red arrow shows the "connected" blue wire from the wiper motor to the camera RED wire. The blue wire receives current no matter what I do in the car (wipers, washing window, gear shift, etc.). The blue arrow shows the ground connected to the wiper motor screw. (sorry, iPhone blurry pic, focus badly in darker area...)

Then, I looked at the RED/BLACK wire in the front behind the glove box. The diagram given to me by the garage also confirmed that the RED/BLACK wire is the backup lamps. But I was sadly disappointed... with both my multimeter and the tool he provided me with, no matter if I am in neutral/forward/reverse gear I always got a 12V coming from the RED/BLACK wire behind the glove box. I don't get why it should be that way, unless the switch of the shifter is after that harness behind the glove box (meaning, this cable is directly coming from the battery, and the switch to enable/disable the lights are forward the road at the shifter). That said, the backup lights are working correctly and only when I am in reverse gear... So there is something I do not understand in that harness for sure... If you refer to the picture I posted previously in this thread we clearly see the RED/BLACK wire in the second top-left-position of that wire block... :roll:

That puzzled me to hell, and after many minutes of investigation and non-understanding, I decided to let go for tonight. Maybe some of you may have an idea on that puzzle.

I, again and again, thank you so much for the help you provided and will provide! Really appreciated :)
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

You lost me about what you are trying to do??? That is since yesterday...

You have to locate the wire at the rear backup light. Note the color of that wire....(most likely it will be a red color wire)..The other wire will go to ground and most likely it will be a black wire. What ever the color, follow that wire to the front of the car. BTW, there will be another wire to the other light.

Or as I suggested before, run a second wire to the radio's reverse signal wire. Make the connections at the backup light. When the back light goes on, it will turn on the radio' display and the camera at the same time. You attached the reverse wire, the camera's red wire both to the backup light wire on the HOT side. That is all there is to this project.
And just find a nearby ground bolt on a body frame and ground the camera black lead.
Last edited by ParknVibe on Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meall

Post by meall »

ParknVibe wrote:You lost me about what you are trying to do??? That is since yesterday...
I'm trying to install a backup camera. Same project as 2 days ago :lol:

Which part I confused you about?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

meall wrote:I just come back from the garage, where I ask a few question to my "car guy". He also suggested the lighter plug, but he said that the camera will keep up all the time. I told him that the Vibe, as far as I can remember, "disconnect" the lighter plug when the car is off. He was sceptic about it, but I'm pretty sure it is the case. You just confirm my car is not a production error!!
The Vibe is a Toyota-build vehicle. He is probably used to other cars which supply power to the lighter 24/7; my mother warned me not to leave things plugged into the lighter because it would drain the battery. She has only ever had Dodge, Chevy, and Ford cars. I think Toyotas must be different in this way.

I guess the red/black wire on the PCM must come before the reverse switch. There's a wire that comes from the transmission that is behind the switch, so it's only hot when you're in reverse. The red/white wire to the transmission is before the switch, the red/black wire is after the switch and only gets the voltage when you engage that switch.

Does that help?

Any other wires you need? Just tell me what conditions you want.

EDIT: Actually, what thing told you to go with the red/black wire on the PCM? My diagram is showing red/white for the PCM reverse signal wire, and red/black on the I/P fuse box wire.
meall

Post by meall »

lannvouivre wrote:
meall wrote:I just come back from the garage, where I ask a few question to my "car guy". He also suggested the lighter plug, but he said that the camera will keep up all the time. I told him that the Vibe, as far as I can remember, "disconnect" the lighter plug when the car is off. He was sceptic about it, but I'm pretty sure it is the case. You just confirm my car is not a production error!!
The Vibe is a Toyota-build vehicle. He is probably used to other cars which supply power to the lighter 24/7; my mother warned me not to leave things plugged into the lighter because it would drain the battery. She has only ever had Dodge, Chevy, and Ford cars. I think Toyotas must be different in this way.
My wife have Pontiac G5, and it is also 24/7. Bad design if you ask me!
lannvouivre wrote:I guess the red/black wire on the PCM must come before the reverse switch. There's a wire that comes from the transmission that is behind the switch, so it's only hot when you're in reverse. The red/white wire to the transmission is before the switch, the red/black wire is after the switch and only gets the voltage when you engage that switch.
Here you lost me. In order you said:
  1. the red/black wire on the PCM must come before the reverse switch
  2. The red/white wire to the transmission is before the switch
  3. the red/black wire is after the switch and only gets the voltage when you engage that switch
So, the RED/BLACK is after or before the reverse switch? :shock:
lannvouivre wrote:EDIT: Actually, what thing told you to go with the red/black wire on the PCM? My diagram is showing red/white for the PCM reverse signal wire, and red/black on the I/P fuse box wire.
From this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=25185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the remote start section it is written : Reverse LightsRED/BLACK(+)PIN 11 AT THE PCM CONNECTOR 3. And according to the diagram I received from my garage guy, RED/BLACK is also the wire that goes to the reverse lights on the back of the car... confusing....
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

meall wrote:
ParknVibe wrote:You lost me about what you are trying to do??? That is since yesterday...
I'm trying to install a backup camera. Same project as 2 days ago :lol:

Which part I confused you about?
Why are you fooling around with lighters, and PCM, and behind the glove compartment?

Did you ever take that panel off to expose the fuse block? There you will see a few cube blocks that are relay switches along with the large plugs that should have the light wires that run to the rear.
meall

Post by meall »

ParknVibe wrote:Why are you fooling around with lighters, and PCM, and behind the glove compartment?

Did you ever take that panel off to expose the fuse block? There you will see a few cube blocks that are relay switches along with the large plugs that should have the light wires that run to the rear.
Be patient with me, I learn as I go...

Like mention previously many times, I'm trying to wire the camera RED wire so that it can be used even if not in reverse mode. That's where the lighter port comes in. For that matter, I think the wiper motor blue cable is a source of always-on 12V directly in the hatch door, that should do the job.

Maybe you're trying to tell me that the PCM is not where I should look at? Not sure what the PCM is for. The PCM blocks are behind the glove compartment.

I'll look at the left of the driver/steering wheel wires to see if I can find the RED/BLACK wire there for the backup lights.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

meall wrote:Here you lost me. In order you said:
  1. the red/black wire on the PCM must come before the reverse switch
  2. The red/white wire to the transmission is before the switch
  3. the red/black wire is after the switch and only gets the voltage when you engage that switch
So, the RED/BLACK is after or before the reverse switch? :shock:
On the diagrams from ProDemand (this is a service, it gets the diagrams from the factories), the wire starts out as red/black, changes to red/white when it leaves the PCM and goes to the transmission, then changes to red/black after the transmission switch.

The PCM is the Powertrain Control Module, it controls the engine as well as some other functions. It's just a very expensive computer.

If you want to use the motor wire at the back as a constant, just make sure it's got 12 volts on it. Also, you may need to make it so you can turn the camera off when you use the wiper motor, otherwise the motor may not have enough voltage to work. Not 100% sure, I don't know enough about the physics of electrical circuits to know if this counts as a series circuit or a parallel circuit...I think it may be parallel.
meall

Post by meall »

lannvouivre wrote:So, the RED/BLACK is after or before the reverse switch? :shock:
On the diagrams from ProDemand (this is a service, it gets the diagrams from the factories), the wire starts out as red/black, changes to red/white when it leaves the PCM and goes to the transmission, then changes to red/black after the transmission switch.[/quote]

I see,it changes as it travels trough the car.
lannvouivre wrote:If you want to use the motor wire at the back as a constant, just make sure it's got 12 volts on it. Also, you may need to make it so you can turn the camera off when you use the wiper motor, otherwise the motor may not have enough voltage to work. Not 100% sure, I don't know enough about the physics of electrical circuits to know if this counts as a series circuit or a parallel circuit...I think it may be parallel.
I also think it is in parallel, as far as I remember my electricity theory course!

The voltage is validated and is 12V. The voltage is not an issue, it will remain the same not matter how much equipments are connected to it. The number of AMPs (or mA) may be more to question. I see in the camera manual that it is raining 70 mA, it is very low. And yesterday, I tested the camera on and the hatch wiper at the same time, and nothing happened that looked suspicious. Maybe the only thing I have not tested is the washer liquid on the back window. I will test it right now: camera+wiper working+washer fluid. If that's working, I guess it should be OK for the rest of the installation. I'll also, while I'm there, test the license plate lights with all of that. That's all there is in the hatch door anyway...
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

meall wrote:Maybe the only thing I have not tested is the washer liquid on the back window. I will test it right now: camera+wiper working+washer fluid. If that's working, I guess it should be OK for the rest of the installation. I'll also, while I'm there, test the license plate lights with all of that. That's all there is in the hatch door anyway...
The pump to send washing fluid to the rear of the car, along with all that pump's wires, should be at the front of the car with the fluid reservoir so it should be fine :P
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Disregard the following instruction.....This only happened when I had the car in reverse....without the radio reverse signal wire attached... I was wondering why I was not seeing the radio switch to the video... But you will have to turn on the backup lights as you are driving forward....I seen a car doing that recently. So I would think you still need a switch that will bypass the backup light switch that is attached to the trans- shifter mechanism. {{{{ I better stay out of this thread!! Good luck!}}

DISREGARD THE FOLLOWING>>>>>>>
About the idea of using the camera (NOT in Reverse but anytime)....will require you to ADD a switch that will cut off the reverse signal to the radio. Then you will have to switch to "camera mode" in your radio' menu options....will then see your image.

I learned about this before I added the Radio's Reverse signal wire to the camera's red wire.

>>>>>>>>>>>
meall

Post by meall »

ParknVibe wrote:Disregard the following instruction.....This only happened when I had the car in reverse....without the radio reverse signal wire attached... I was wondering why I was not seeing the radio switch to the video... But you will have to turn on the backup lights as you are driving forward....I seen a car doing that recently. So I would think you still need a switch that will bypass the backup light switch that is attached to the trans- shifter mechanism. {{{{ I better stay out of this thread!! Good luck!}}

DISREGARD THE FOLLOWING>>>>>>>
About the idea of using the camera (NOT in Reverse but anytime)....will require you to ADD a switch that will cut off the reverse signal to the radio. Then you will have to switch to "camera mode" in your radio' menu options....will then see your image.

I learned about this before I added the Radio's Reverse signal wire to the camera's red wire.

>>>>>>>>>>>
The Radio have a mode to switch to the camera, even if not in reverse mode. It then takes the input from the RCA in instead of any other source. That should not be a problem if the camera is connected to a different source than the reverse light (lighter or wiper motor), as I won't have to turn the reverse lights on to have power to the camera.
Last edited by meall on Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meall

Post by meall »

lannvouivre wrote:The pump to send washing fluid to the rear of the car, along with all that pump's wires, should be at the front of the car with the fluid reservoir so it should be fine :P
Exactly what I thought too, and just tested this: wiper+camera+washer liquid+door lock/unlock+license plate light+reverse lights. Result is that everything worked just fine, no fuse blew out...

So I should be able to connect the camera there.
meall

Post by meall »

OK, I finished the connectivity of the camera in the hatch door and closed the plastic in that part. Also closed the glove box. Now, only remaining piece is to wire the radio to the backup lights.

I looked at the driver kick panel to find my RED/BLACK wire. I found two, but I think the one with the blue arrow in the picture is the one I'm interested in. That's based on the fact that the red arrow one only have a black stripe, not fully RED/BLACK in color. Also, if I look at the back of the car near the reverse lights, the cable with blue arrow is very similar. I searched for a way to test it with a multimeter, but could not find any open part of the wire near the kick panel.

trb

Post by trb »

You can use a pin to pierce the wire to test it and just wrap it with electrical tape after if you want to seal it back up. I've done it before on mine.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
meall

Post by meall »

trb wrote:You can use a pin to pierce the wire to test it and just wrap it with electrical tape after if you want to seal it back up. I've done it before on mine.
I lightly skimmed the wires, one at a time, to test them. Happen to be that none of them are the one I'm looking for. I continue my search for the holy grail... :twisted:
meall

Post by meall »

Ok, I'm done, almost.

Let's start with the good news:

I found in the back on the car near the flashing lights a bloc with a strangely familiar red/black wire. In fact 3 of those. The bloc is in fact a distribution one: it takes the red/black wire to split it in two, one wire for each reverse light and a few other components that I did not investigate. So I took one of my routed wire from the radio to the back and tap it into the source wire r/b coming from the front of the car. I then wired the cable to the reverse gear wire of the radio, and put the key-in and the gear in reverse and the radio immediately switched back to the rear view camera. Et voilà!! Done

Then, the bad news! When I was working to place all the plastic and other things back in their places, I forgot the reverse wire of the radio. In my hurry to test things, I forgot to put back electric tape on my connection. When I pushed the radio in its place, the open wire shorted the back of the HU et blew the gauge fuse! Bravo!!

In any case, I have done it, it will just remains to access the fuse block and change the fuse.
meall

Post by meall »

Hi guys,

I've taken the car with the camera installation on a test drive yesterday, it all works like expected. The HU have a mode that can auto-monitor the camera if you want, that confuses me for a little moment to my connectivity. But once the feature is disable, all worked just fine.

I'd like to thank you so much for your help here. Very appreciate the helped received, and your patience. :)

It's nice to have some resourceful guys such as you near our finger tips. Especially for a car model that has not been on sale for 3-4 years now...
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Great to hear that you finally got it working. Let see a picture of how you mounted the camera.

I was able to test the camera while I was holding it in my hand sitting in the driver's seat....and then I mounted it.
I learn how to set the distant line/bars ..I think.....As I had my car is backup in the driveway, I tilted down the camera until the vertical lines ran flat along the plane of the driveway. In other words as if you are seeing the lines painted on the concrete surface....Looking down a one point perspective. Pointing the camera down helped in minimizing glare and blacking out the picture.

I also measured the distances to each horizontal bar from the bumper using a reference line (mark) on the driveway. So you can judge the distance.

Do have these lines/bars displayed?......The camera produces these bars not the HU.
Note the lines and how they look different in the photos:
Parknvibe.
Last edited by ParknVibe on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
meall

Post by meall »

Hello ParknVibe

Here is a few pictures of how it is installed:

almost invisible to the eyes:

I have those lines, yes. See an image here of the view from the car HU:

The only thing is that I cannot really adjust the camera angle as you did, as it is fixed to the back of the car. I wrote to the support to ask them about the numbers on the guide lines: are they feet or meters? that is not written in the manual. But for one thing sure, the angle of view is way smaller than your model...
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Yes I would of like the fixed type of camera you purchased, but I thought about how would I adjust the aiming of it. My is stuck on with pre-mounted tape. ..So I first used "poster putty ..that I just happen to bought beforehand....And used it to hold the camera temporary in place. and made the right to left aiming adjustments. I then drew with a marker an outline of the bracket on the body....Then stuck it on. However, I wish I could of done it over again.....Now that I know how to do a good alignment.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

You should place a reference line on the road/or your driveway. Backup to align the lines and then go back there and measure with a ruler from the bumper to the reference line.
Then write the numbers down and just keep them in the car.
Your numbers looks like 1.5 meters etc.....
Last edited by ParknVibe on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

You should place a reference line on the road/or your driveway. Backup to align the lines and then go back there and measure with a ruler from the bumper to the reference line.
Then write the numbers down and just keep them in the car.
Your numbers looks like 1.5 meters etc.....
I don't have any numbers on my lines
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Do you have a DVD/CD player in the Pioneer unit? I just don't see a disk slot from your front picture.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Perhaps you can add a small spacer block to the back half of the camera's mounting flange to force the camera to view more down the road. You have to tilt it up a bit... so that the vertical line match or parallel the edge of the asphalt along the grass.