My new Radio story

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
ParknVibe

My new Radio story

Post by ParknVibe »

I just install a Jensen VX7020 navigation DVD radio, a Clarion CC510 rear view backup camera, and the Meta/Axxess GMOS-Lan-01 Onstar interface into my 2009 Vibe.
I used the Scosche TA2102B trim mounting kit. The Metra trim kit in my opinion is poorly designed and molded. The left bracket does not seat nicely in the OEM dash shelf.
Bought everything from Crutchfield with the exception of Scosche...and Crutchfield credited me for the my cost of the Scosche.

Caution: the GMOS-LAN-01 was not really designed for the 2009 Vibe (even though it was list as it does....) I was told this by AXXESS tech support. And he told me what to change and that I must do some "fancy rewiring" to get it to work.... however, the OEM plugs mate with these.
There are a number changes that I had to do make this setup work. Also I had to learn the hard about a few things that I should of founded out beforehand.

Finally, you must have the Vibe Service Manual to help track all the wiring in the OEM radio plugs as well as the location of the backup light wire tap in the fuse block (under the dash.)

I did this installation in three parts...I first just installed the radio with nothing else, and used it for a few weeks, Then, I rewired the harness for the Onstar interface unit. And finally I installed the backup camera just in the last few days.

Tip: you better do your research of the wiring information that is given in the Vibe Service Manual before attempting this. And this information is scattered all over the books.

I will try to post some pictures soon.
tpollauf

Re: My new Radio story

Post by tpollauf »

Nice. Looking forward to pics of this install. Show us the location of the camera and a good shot of what the monitor looks like while in "back-up" mode!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

The Jensen VX7020 .The GPS antenna was simply placed on top of the radio with magnate.
1. The wire harness that I had to wire.
2. Inside view of Onstar interface ...loaded with ICs
3. The camera mounted to the bumper....Just had to slip the wire through a slit along the back of the License plate light....A long 1/8" gap.
5. A view of the Navigation map.

4. A view of the garage door about 2 feet from the camera.
Note the reverse "Fish Eye" up close at the door.
6. Two views further up the driveway at the display
Last edited by ParknVibe on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

I learn how to set the distant line/bars ..I think.....As I had my car backed up in the driveway, I tilted down the camera until the vertical lines ran flat along the plane of the driveway. In other words as if you are seeing the lines painted on the concrete surface....Looking down a one point perspective. Pointing the camera down helped in minimizing glare and blacking out the picture.

6. Two views further up the driveway shown the lines and bars correction

Best type of line bar alignment:
Last edited by ParknVibe on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Another correction or adjustment I did was to make the radio come forward within the trim ring about 5/32 to 3/16 inches..To allow me to grip the volume control knob with two fingers. I did this by cutting off the plastic frame ring on the two sides and the bottom edges that touch around the front edges of the radio. This was easily done using a Dermel Multi Max cutting tool. It's the tool that oscillates to cut into the material. I used the round three inch flat blade.

So now the top face edge is nearly flush to the trim...You maybe able to see it in the last picture.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Sorry about the pictures, I just fixed the links to them.