Back Hatch cargo lights under cargo cover DIY

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Derf

Back Hatch cargo lights under cargo cover DIY

Post by Derf »

Well... while finishing the last modification, had enough parts left for another project. Using the rear hatch cargo light as a power source, ran lights to illuminate the bottom hatch area with the cargo cover in place.

Start by pulling the rear hatch gasket out on the top and sides. The wiring can be run to all locations by fishing it from the cargo light to the side compartments without removing the trim panels! :D Determine the location of your lights, I just removed the rear plastic tailight access panels, then felt inside for location that provided a good forward angle, while allowing enough free space between the trim and body panel to mount the light.

Circuit setup, ran wiring down passenger and driver side starting at cargo light. Two legs, built the same
Rear hatch driver side Feston bulb Base +12v - Resistor - LED - LED - (-)12v passenger side Feston bulb base
IMPORTANT: You must use the Cargo Light ground, do not ground additional lights directly to metal in the Vibe! Failure to use the cargo light ground will damage the Vibes lighting control module, the Cargo/Door lights are a closed circuit!
Used Flat Tip 5mm LED's with a wide angle, allows for a more flush install while providing a larger light pattern. Link to source:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... /252/1179/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LED's wired up, testing circuit before final installation.
Yes, that is a roll of "roadside aSSistance" in the cubby hole, had to fill the space with something.
With the light location determined, wiring run, LED's and resistors soldered into place along the wiring, drill the holes to mount the LED's For ones listed 5mm, use a 3/16" drill bit, it will be a tight fit. If it is to tight, lightly wobble the bit until the LED fits snugly.

If all things work together, you will have hath lighting above and below, regardless whether you have the cargo cover installed. Since the lights are activated through the cargo lights you can control from the front lighting control panel or any time the back hatch is opened.
Last edited by Derf on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
kaflex

Re: Back Hatch cargo lights under cover DIY

Post by kaflex »

I like this, I tend to keep my cover on all the time. I keep my floor jack and other things that I'm always worried about someone taking.

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tpollauf

Re: Back Hatch cargo lights under cover DIY

Post by tpollauf »

Well done! This too was FINALLY done to the newer GMC & Chevy trucks, so that you can see what's in the bed of the truck (especially if you have a tonneau cover or such). Great work again & thanks for sharing ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"