Vibe Door switch panel add night lights DIY

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Derf

Vibe Door switch panel add night lights DIY

Post by Derf »

Added lights to the door switch panels.
Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1S5F2ZuFM0

Used flat top LED's to prevent switch panel interference and protrusion from trim panels.
The resistor values need changed by type and color of LED. For Example a White LED may be 3.3v and yellow 2.4v, different resistor values are needed to optimize the circuit. Use 15 volt as circuit operating voltage, this higher value will provide better integrity, the Vibe can reach 14.8 volts during normal operation. Use the following link to assist in LED circuit design LINK: http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
The higher the resistor value, the LED will get dimmer, but go to low and "Poof" your LED will go permanently dark. In the video, used the LED wizard to get a basic idea of what value to start at, then used the potentiometer to determine the desired illumination level.

For the Neptune Blue Vibe I used the following LED:
P/N RL5-B12120 Flat top 5 mm (T-1 3/4), Forward Voltage 3.3V, 4 Lumen, 1200mcd, Peak Forward Current 100mA, Viewing Angle 120 degree Wavelength, 470 nm http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... /265/1192/
Your Local Radio Shack should have a decent selection of resistors and LED's, but if working with quantity, online will be cheaper

Used one LED for each door handle
Ground - LED - Resistor +12v

Four LED's for driver door switch panel, mounting to the switch frame, this was the hardest part of the project due to limited working space.
Ground - LED-LED-LED-LED - Resistor +12v
vibe_door_panel_lights2.jpg
vibe_door_panel_lights2.jpg (14.74 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
Two for passenger door switch panel, drilling holes in the switch mounting sockets, as shown in the video
Ground - LED-LED - Resistor +12v
vibe_door_panel_light.jpg
vibe_door_panel_light.jpg (17.44 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
Check the following link for tips on pulling wires from the car through the rubber boot into the door:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42830
Last edited by Derf on Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
KITT222

Re: Vibe Door swith panel add night lights DIY

Post by KITT222 »

Wow, that's some really creative and smart thinking. I may need to do this... Not that I want any light, but just because it looks good.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Awesome job Derf! I was your 21st viewer on YouTube ! You obviously have a lot of extra time on your hands in order to get these mods accomplished. This is very similar to what I plan on doing to our 09 Vibe's but won't have the time for a while. Great job! ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Just waiting for your how-to on power window delay off so I can roll my windows up and down with the key off. :D

Its a feature on the wife's Impala that I like, well, that and the delay off radio. Hers is 15 minutes or door open, whichever is first. I noticed the Vibe has the battery save as well after like 15 minutes for the dome lights. I wonder if that circuit could be utilized with a relay to allow for window power with the key off for the 15 minutes.
Derf

Post by Derf »

tpollauf wrote:Awesome job Derf! I was your 21st viewer on YouTube ! You obviously have a lot of extra time on your hands in order to get these mods accomplished. ;)
Ah, you underestimated "Snowmageden '14" lots of indoor time to research and get things setup, but the cold delayed working on plastic bits.
hotbug1776 wrote:Just waiting for your how-to on power window delay off so I can roll my windows up and down with the key off. :D
....Uh Oh a new project!
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )