remote start using OEM keyless fob

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
cthomasparr

remote start using OEM keyless fob

Post by cthomasparr »

anyone install an auto start that can use the factory keyless entry fob? I hate to carry around a second fob just for the occasional remote start.
Derf

Re: remote start using OEM keyless fob

Post by Derf »

Thought about the same, the OEM keyfob has a short range, unless your Vibe is close it may not activate the remote start. I suppose you could try to find a way to interface the auto start from the "hatch" button on the OEM keyfob. Not sure where the signal is received within the vibe or if it has a dedicated output that could be tapped while preventing the "hatch" signal from opening the hatch. Remote start yes, trunk full of snow, no.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

cthomasparr wrote:anyone install an auto start that can use the factory keyless entry fob? I hate to carry around a second fob just for the occasional remote start.
several manuf. make systems that can use the OEM remote. The question is why would you want to? As Derf said, you're limited to the short range the OEM remote gives you, which IMHO, makes having the convenience of the remote start pointless. Why not just install a remote start that can also lock/unlock doors and pop the hatch? Here's one on eBay for under $40 shipped. Avital is made by DEI, which is one of the most trusted names in vehicle security and convenience, and the only brand I ever install.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

I went the opposite route. I use only the aftermarket fob and stopped using the spear that GM calls a key. The original key/fob is so huge I was always getting stabbed by it.

When I got the remote start I had a choice between a fob that could only start the car and a fob that also would lock/unlock the doors. For the same money I took the one that also works the doors.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

After reading the response about the range it immediately occured to me that it was a bad idea. A colleague here has an expensive import and his remote has an impressive range, but mine is about 50 or 60 feet without any obstructions.

Thanks for the remote start link. I had installed a few bulldog units and thought they worked well. Willing to give this remote start a try for about half the price !!
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

I have to share my impression of the Avital remote starter after looking a little online. Looks like the unit is highly regarded with lots of features. This system seems to have more options than my bulldog system. The system and price seem great. The remote would be a reasonable replacement, although I like the key layout on the OEM fob. I always had to look on the fob for lock and unlock on the bulldog remote.

My concern is what others have stated about support and installation instructions. Without them I can't install myself and it sounds like the manufacturer only provides support to registered installers. If there is any documentation available, or any hints for installation in the Vibe, I am in for one on each of my Vibes.

Bulldog was tailored to the home installer and was even reachable for live phone support.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

You can get the vehicle wiring colors from Bulldog themselves at http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/ve ... grams.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

For the install instructions, you can use the Viper 4103 instructions, as it's essentially the same thing, just branded differently. ---> HERE

If you have any questions, I've been an installer for close to 20 years now. The Corolla/Matrix/Vibe is super easy to install.
2011 Rav4 Sport
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

SlammedNiss,

Appreciate the offer for guidance and positing the link to the install manual. Hopefully this thread won't get too long!

I think I can probably manage the basics, but would be great to customize slightly.

One thing that I would like to have is a way for the sunroof and maybe windows to be closed when the doors are locked. Have you ever seen this done on a corolla/vibe and is there lots of additional components required?
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

cthomasparr wrote:SlammedNiss,

Appreciate the offer for guidance and positing the link to the install manual. Hopefully this thread won't get too long!

I think I can probably manage the basics, but would be great to customize slightly.

One thing that I would like to have is a way for the sunroof and maybe windows to be closed when the doors are locked. Have you ever seen this done on a corolla/vibe and is there lots of additional components required?
You would need extra modules. A 529T will roll 1pr of windows up. As far as the moonroof, I'm not really sure. You'd need an additional module, but not sure how that would work, as the moonroof stops 1/2 way when closing and requires you to press the close button again.
2011 Rav4 Sport
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

I saw a writeup on how to override the vibe moonroof controls and make it so it works with a single continuous press, like the power windows. Does this extra module just apply power for a set amount of time to the motor even if the window closes before that time or is already closed? I know I can press the close direction on the moonroof and I can hear the motor working to close the roof even though it is closed. I would be worried about burning out the motor.

Have you used the refurb units with good results?
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

cthomasparr wrote:I saw a writeup on how to override the vibe moonroof controls and make it so it works with a single continuous press, like the power windows. Does this extra module just apply power for a set amount of time to the motor even if the window closes before that time or is already closed? I know I can press the close direction on the moonroof and I can hear the motor working to close the roof even though it is closed. I would be worried about burning out the motor.

Have you used the refurb units with good results?
The window modules that I have used basically monitor the voltage of the motor. It knows when the window is closed by the voltage draw.

Never have used refurb'd DEI stuff. As a dealer we have to use new. I would imagine it's just fine. Or non-refurb'd isn't much more.
2011 Rav4 Sport
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

Just ordered the remote start. Hope to get it installed before the colder weather hits.
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

So I was looking at the new remote starter that arrived and with the online users manual and the information from Bulldog specific to the vibe, I have come up with the following connections and questions

Referring to the Avital unit's wiring diagram, I am going to connect the following wires

Heavy gauge wires
RED (12v power ) to my battery
PINK (ign1 out) to Black/White(+) ignition switch
VIOLET (starter out) to Red(+) ignition switch
ORANGE (acc #1) not used
PINK/WHITE( ign2 out) not used

harness containing PINK(-), PURPLE(-), ORANGE(-),BLUE(-) not used

harness containing ORANGE(-),WHITE/BLUE(-), YELLOW(+), GREEN/WHITE(-), GREEN/BLACK(-) not used

horn and parking light harness
BROWN(-)(horn honk output ) to Green/Yellow in column
RED/WHITE(-) not used
BLACK(-) grounded to chassis
WHITE(+/-) (parking light) to Green in driver kick panel

brake and hood pin shutdown harness
BLACK/WHITE (neutral safety) to Blue(+) in driver kick panel ( same as Lock Motor Wire??)
VOILET/BROWN (tach wire) not used
BROWN(+)(brake shutdown) to Green/White above brake pedal
GREY to hood pin
BLUE/WHITE not used

Door Lock wires
Blue(- unlock) to Blue/Yellow in driver kick panel
Green(-lock) to Green in driver kick panel

There are notes about a double pulse to unlock, and hopefully that will be an option on the unit, or like bulldog says, run the connection to the passenger kick panel.

I was going to try and rig the sunroof closing to the unit, but have abandoned.

The only additional thing I would like to add is to trigger the rear defroster when the car starts up. Not sure how to do that.

SlammedNiss. If you have a moment to check this out and comment I would greatly appreciate.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

1. All heavy gauge ignition wires can be tapped at the ignition harness running up the steering column. No need to run anything directly to the battery. Also, add the following connections.
a. Orange ---> blue/red, pink/white --> black yellow
2. I don't recommend hooking up the horn unless you absolutely want to.
3. Red/wht in horn/parking light harness can be used to 'pop' the hatch if you want that. I don't remember if you need a relay or not on a Matrix/Vibe.
4. Black/wht in brake/hoodpin harness can be taken directly to ground. I usually twist that and regular ground together.
5. I highly recommend the 'tach' input if you can easily grab it. The wire is black and behind the glove box.
6. I've never hooked up a 'rear defogger' before, but perhaps somebody else can chime in on that.
7. double pulse should be programmable in the options.
2011 Rav4 Sport
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

Thanks for looking that over.

Do you know if the second red 12v needs t be connected? Should they be twisted together and attached to a constant 12v source?

I am also not real clear on the jumper settings.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

cthomasparr wrote:Thanks for looking that over.

Do you know if the second red 12v needs t be connected? Should they be twisted together and attached to a constant 12v source?

I am also not real clear on the jumper settings.
yes, both red 12v need to be connected. If you have to, piggyback one off the other.

What trouble are you having with the jumper settings?

Btw, messaged a friend of mine regarding the rear defogger. He said no relay is usually necessary. So should be able to probe and find out which wire triggers the oem switch.
2011 Rav4 Sport
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

I think I am clear on the jumper and the wires. I appreciate all of your help.

I found a good place for the unit right above the OBDII jack. I also installed the hood pin between the grills in front of the radiator where there was a plastic fastener.

I still need to attach the wires.

For the neutral safety switch do I just ground that white/black wire and put the toggle switch in that line?

I did see somewhere that the defogger is activated by a negative so I think that wire in the unit will work great like you suggested.

Thanks
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

cthomasparr wrote:I think I am clear on the jumper and the wires. I appreciate all of your help.

I found a good place for the unit right above the OBDII jack. I also installed the hood pin between the grills in front of the radiator where there was a plastic fastener.

I still need to attach the wires.

For the neutral safety switch do I just ground that white/black wire and put the toggle switch in that line?

I did see somewhere that the defogger is activated by a negative so I think that wire in the unit will work great like you suggested.

Thanks
I always hard ground the neutral safety with the unit ground.
2011 Rav4 Sport
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

Looks like two black wires on the far right plug of the ecu. Not sure which of those is the tach wire. What kind of behavior should it have? Can I test wih multimeter or test light. Thanks
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

cthomasparr wrote:Looks like two black wires on the far right plug of the ecu. Not sure which of those is the tach wire. What kind of behavior should it have? Can I test wih multimeter or test light. Thanks
Ive never really learned how to test a tach wire. Try one, and if it isn't the right one, it simply won't pick up the signal so try the other one. I've never incurred any damage before from tapping the wrong tach wire.
2011 Rav4 Sport
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

Found online it is pin 5. Assume that will be either on the top or bottom row of the plug.
Curious why you suggested not to hookup the horn. Remote start is for my daughter and I want to enable the honk for the panic feature unless there is a reason to avoid it.
Thanks for all the help.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

cthomasparr wrote:Found online it is pin 5. Assume that will be either on the top or bottom row of the plug.
Curious why you suggested not to hookup the horn. Remote start is for my daughter and I want to enable the honk for the panic feature unless there is a reason to avoid it.
Thanks for all the help.
Just personal preference. I have an OEM key fob, and every once in a while I hit the panic accidentally. Just did it yesterday in fact. If you want it for your daughter's piece of mind, don't let me opinion change yours.
2011 Rav4 Sport
cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

When I wanted a remote start on another car, I actually went to the dealer first, thinking they would do the best job. But, they actually said it a complex job and it was better to take it to someone who installs the remote starts regularly.

I also second the idea of abandoning the original fob for the power locks. You can get a remote starter with the remote lock buttons. With installation included, it costs around $200 at Best Buy.

-Joe
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

thanks.

I was wondering what the installation charge on a typical unit would be. if the cost out the door is $200, that's not a bad deal. I will save $150 by installing myself, but it is a pain in the a$$. I still have to make all the connections under the dash. Hopefully this weekend so she can start using it for the deep freeze here.

I have a 1996 bmw 318ic that doesn't have remote keyless entry. I might let a pro setup that car.
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

Wow. So I spent a lot of time putting this system in and I am still not done.

I spliced a lot of wires so far but still have a few. Cold weather only makes it worse.

Wondering what kind of splices you use to connect these cars. I used a process that bulldog suggested. remove wire casing and twist new wire into old. Never cutting the existing wiring. I also soldered some of the connections. Tape and small wire tie on the unsoldered ones. I have heard bad things about vampire taps and I wonder if industry uses something else.

Two other notes:
I couldn't find a green wire in the kick panel for the parking lights. I went to the column and connected to the (-) wire, I think it was green/black or green/white.

Also I did not connect the yellow wire and I wonder if it is needed. I think it said ignition input. Same as pink wire. I don't think any other wires in that harness are connected except for maybe the parking lights.

Thanks,
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

cthomasparr wrote:Wondering what kind of splices you use to connect these cars. I used a process that bulldog suggested. remove wire casing and twist new wire into old. Never cutting the existing wiring. I also soldered some of the connections. Tape and small wire tie on the unsoldered ones. I have heard bad things about vampire taps and I wonder if industry uses something else.

Two other notes:
I couldn't find a green wire in the kick panel for the parking lights. I went to the column and connected to the (-) wire, I think it was green/black or green/white.

Also I did not connect the yellow wire and I wonder if it is needed. I think it said ignition input. Same as pink wire. I don't think any other wires in that harness are connected except for maybe the parking lights.

Thanks,
I use these. Yellow ones for the larger gauge ignition wires, and blue or red for the smaller wires.

If you're talking about the small yellow ignition wire, no you don't need to hook that up. Pink wire? I'd have to look at the install manual to see which one you're referring to.
2011 Rav4 Sport
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

The install is pretty much complete and all I have left to do is test all the features and change any programmed settings.

I was able to get it to start up remotely and drove it to work without shutting it off. The brake did kill the starter when I remote started later. The door lock and unlock work. lights are good and even the defogger light for the rear window is on, so I assume that is working.

I did wind up running power directly from the battery. i had already poked through the firewall for the hood pin switch, so I thought it wouldn't be a big deal to run another wire or two through. I entered the passenger compartment using the seal around the hood release cable.

Thanks again for all the help... very much appreciated.
VibeInLA

Post by VibeInLA »

Can this be done on a 2005 PV too where there is currently only manual key access? :shock:
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

As far as I understand remote start will work on any car. The keyless entry option is easy to add provided you already have power locks. If you don't have power locks, it becomes much more involved and you need to open each door and put in an actuator that will lock and unlock the doors. That becomes an added task of trying to fit the actuator motor in the door space and have the linkage work the manual lock linkage. Not impossible by any means, but much more involved than connecting two wires.

Do you have power locks? Having factory keyless entry doesn't matter
randyr316

Post by randyr316 »

SlammedNiss wrote:
cthomasparr wrote:Wondering what kind of splices you use to connect these cars. I used a process that bulldog suggested. remove wire casing and twist new wire into old. Never cutting the existing wiring. I also soldered some of the connections. Tape and small wire tie on the unsoldered ones. I have heard bad things about vampire taps and I wonder if industry uses something else.

Two other notes:

Thanks,
I use these. Yellow ones for the larger gauge ignition wires, and blue or red for the smaller wires.

If you're talking about the small yellow ignition wire, no you don't need to hook that up. Pink wire? I'd have to look at the install manual to see which one you're referring to.
I know its lil off subject but i need help with my 03 vibe, i just installed a security/remote start system in my vibe everything seems to be working fine but prob im having is when i remote start car it starts then runs few seconds then shuts off, anybody have any ideas that could help?
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

After it shuts off does it attempt a restart. If so it may not sense the car is running. The unit I installed looks for small changes that would indicate a spinning alternator...or you could hookup a tach wire that feeds the tachometer. If you did the latter and you have a wire that is not sending the correct signal that might be an issue.
randyr316

Post by randyr316 »

cthomasparr wrote:After it shuts off does it attempt a restart. If so it may not sense the car is running. The unit I installed looks for small changes that would indicate a spinning alternator...or you could hookup a tach wire that feeds the tachometer. If you did the latter and you have a wire that is not sending the correct signal that might be an issue.
yes it keeps doing the restart sequence, i had tach wire to 1 wire off my coil pack, cause tracking down tach wire behind glove box is endless it says plug to right black wire, well, which black wire? lol
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

I connected my tach wire to the black wire on the far right plug of the ecu. It was one of 3 black wires but was on the edge and had silver spots on it. I never went through the tach learn procedure so it might be ignoring it. I meant to hookup a voltmeter to see if there was a signal that would vary with engine rpm but haven't yet. The vibe idles so high when cold that the unit probably notices a running car without it. If I were you I would see if there is a setting to ignore tach input or try that wire. Good luck