Getting HIDs to work properly on 2009 Vibe GT?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
vibenvy

Getting HIDs to work properly on 2009 Vibe GT?

Post by vibenvy »

Back in the fall I ordered and installed some DDM Tuning 35w 5000k HIDs in the low beam headlights of my Vibe. The installation was easy and the lights have worked great. I have had no issues with them. At the same time I also ordered some 35w 3000k HIDs (also DDM) for the fog lights. These were installed and then un-installed because they flickered on start up. Long story short, I figured it was a bad bulb and / or ballast, so I ordered new bulbs and ballasts and had the same issue, so I'm assuming it's an issue of there not being enough power to fully light them on startup. I am wondering if anyone has any tips or anything on getting them to function properly without flickering, etc. I already have them and would really like to be able to use them, but obviously I don't want to burn up any wiring, switches, etc. in the Vibe. I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to wiring, etc. so any help, information, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
XRVibe10

Re: Getting HIDs to work properly on 2009 Vibe GT?

Post by XRVibe10 »

Thats weird they flicker when turned on - I have a Base 2.4 with Fogs & just did a straight plug & play and never had any issues (3yrs going) - there should be sufficient voltage present @ the connector - it might be they brand of HID's are a little more tempermental - don't know if you have tried any of the anit-flicker modules they have for HID's - another options would be to buy a relay harness used with DRL set ups - this way, you won't burn out any wiring or switches - the relay harness uses one of the factory connectors as a signal wire, which will command the relay on & take 12V directly from the battery & send it to the ballasts - very simple install/wiring & should help with any concerns with the voltage supplied - if not, maybe try another brand of HID kit (I have Litech Low 6000K & 3000K Fogs) hope this helps :)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

They flicker when I turn them on without the engine running. They also flicker when the key is turned to "accessory". I have not tried them when the engine is running though. I did order some anti-flicker devices from DDM Tuning a while back and they didn't make any difference.

I have looked at these wiring harnesses on eBay, but I have a concern with them; since there is a connector that goes directly to the battery, I don't know how I would connect it because both Vibes have Red Top batteries that do not have any extra terminals i.e. side terminals. They only have the main top terminals.

Have you done the independent fog light mod on your Vibe? I did it back in 2009 on both our Vibes. I did it the simplest way which was to cut the fog light wire and than ground it. I was wondering if this could possibly be causing the issues...

FWIW the HIDs are 35w 3000k from DDM Tuning.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

Yes, that's the harness I was talking about - there is no connector to the battery, just a wire lead with a "eye" terminal (you can cut this off & use what ever size you need) - the factory (+) battery wire has a 10mm nut on it I believe - you can just take this off & put the "eye" terminal underneath it & tighten back down - you don't need any extra terminals on the battery itself to do this install.

I did the independant fog lamp mod - instead of cutting the wire, I stripped off the insulation & wrapped a wire around it - then I grounded it behind the glove box - never had any issues with the fog lights, going about 3 years now (I had to replace both ballasts due to poor mounting location on my part & getting water intrusion in them & cooked them nicely - 2 new ballasts & relocated mounting position & all has been well :D ) - I noticed in another post you did you mentioned that the fog light indicator on the dash dims out when you shut the fogs off - mine does this as well ever since the HID install - I figured its just the residual charge from the ballasts dissapating & never really think about it anymore - no issues with it (fog lights are controlled by grounding thru the DRL module) So I don't believe that this mod should be affecting the operation of the HID's

If all else fails, you may have to try another brand of HID kit - I have heard of some people up my way using DDM HID"s & needing the relay harness for stand alone headlamps (non-DRL) - the price is right but sometimes the cheaper kits are more sensitive to voltage supply & need some help - the brand I have is Litech (I'm not sure if its available everywhere) - I have 35W 6000K Low beams & 35W 3000K Fog lights (both without use of relay harness) - Hope this helps out & good luck!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Thanks for the info! I am thinking I may order a set of the Litech HIDs and give them a try in the fog lights. The DDM HIDs are fine in the headlights, but I have read online that their quality has really gone down hill over the past couple years, so I am hoping maybe trying a different brand will make a difference. Thanks again! I'll update this thread with any further information.

On a side note, if I end up using wiring harnesses for the fog lights, will it be okay to have two of the eye terminals connected to the battery wire (two fog lights = two wiring harnesses = two eye terminals)?
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

vibenvy wrote:On a side note, if I end up using wiring harnesses for the fog lights, will it be okay to have two of the eye terminals connected to the battery wire (two fog lights = two wiring harnesses = two eye terminals)?
)

Adding 2 terminals will be no problem - just make sure there in an inline fuse for each wire lead to protect the system (usually the harnesses come with one - I usually cut them out & add in a heavier duty fuse holder with a weather seal - usually a ATO fuse holder from littelfuse) :) No Prob & Good Luck!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

So, I ordered the wiring harness from eBay. It arrived a few weeks ago and I installed it. Got everything all hidden nicely and all, turned the fog lights on and the bulbs still flickered :x! After PMing back and forth with XRVibe10 a couple times, I decided that the DDM #9145 / H10 bulbs must just be cr@p, so I ordered a pair from hid-led-outlet-store on eBay (same place I ordered the wiring harness from - $12.95 a pair with free shipping). The bulbs arrived within a couple days (instead of a couple weeks like DDM) and came from California (not China like DDM). There was an immediate visual difference between the two brands of bulbs, the ones from eBay are significantly shorter then the DDM ones (the bulb itself). This gave me hope that they would work, so I got to work installing them. I got everything all connected and all turned the fog lights on... THEY DON'T FLICKER! I was able to hook them up just like the HIDs in the low beams are hooked up (factory plugs connected to ballasts and amp connectors on bulbs connected to igniters). I was also able to remove the wiring harness which was nice (no more extra wiring all over the place behind the bumper cover). I am so happy that all my lighting is finally working properly! I'm taking the Vibe out for a cruise in a bit to see how they are night while driving :D!