Stock Monsoon Sub Woofer Specs??

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Bocaj77

Stock Monsoon Sub Woofer Specs??

Post by Bocaj77 »

Just got the stock woofer out of a 2008 Vibe to put it in my 2004. Anyone know the RMS specs of this woofer?
ecarlsen

Re: Stock Monsoon Sub Woofer Specs??

Post by ecarlsen »

Bocaj77, I'm searching for the same. My Vibe is a 2005 GT with the Monsoon subwoofer. I can't say I've ever heard it rumble. I replaced the stock radio unit with Pioneer unit I bought from Crutchfield (the very best company to buy auto audio from - their tech support is superb. Still no rumble. They're telling me I need to check to see if there's a stock amp in the car to power it, otherwise, I can install one if I can get the specs of the sub-woofer to ensure I get a good match.

Question for you. How do I take the speaker cover off the sub-woofer? There are no screws. I don't want to force it, so am looking through this site to see if anyone can tell me - do I pry it off, twist it off or what? If I twist it off, which direction - clockwise or counter clockwise?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help today, but I'm going to track this down and will tell you what I find, just as soon as I figure out how to take the speaker cover off so I can extract the speaker and look at it.

Be well.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Bocaj77 wrote:Just got the stock woofer out of a 2008 Vibe to put it in my 2004. Anyone know the RMS specs of this woofer?
The Sub is dual voice coil, (a left and right channel) it is about 50 watts per channel at 2 Ohms, normal car stereo equipment is 4 ohms, if you attach an amp to the OEM sub make sure it is 2 ohm stable.
ecarlsen wrote: My Vibe is a 2005 GT with the Monsoon subwoofer. I can't say I've ever heard it rumble. I replaced the stock radio unit with Pioneer unit I bought from Crutchfield They're telling me I need to check to see if there's a stock amp in the car to power it, otherwise, I can install one if I can get the specs of the sub-woofer to ensure I get a good match.
Question for you. How do I take the speaker cover off the sub-woofer? There are no screws. I don't want to force it, so am looking through this site to see if anyone can tell me - do I pry it off, twist it off or what? If I twist it off, which direction - clockwise or counter clockwise?
The OEM stock sub is powered off the factory amp under the seat. Unless your replacement head unit used a conversion box (not adapter, but actual signal convertor) to keep the factory wiring then you are not likely feeding signal to your sub. The OEM amp has a built in crossover that takes the low level signal from the rear driver and passenger door, amplifies and sends to each channel of the sub.

The sub cover is part of the interior wheel well cover (its molded as one piece), you must remove the lid, tray, spare tire, etc then several bolts and clips to remove the interior molding.
Link to details: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
ToddSc

Post by ToddSc »

Old thread, but seemed like a good place to share how this helped me.

I got my '05 vibe used a long time ago with a new head unit. Speakers always sounded like crap. I replaced them. Still crap. Got it going again this year after replacing the hood, fender and a couple headlights. Yes. Don't text/game and drive, kids.

New head unit and speakers still distorted around half power.

Pulled out the seat and started looking at the wiring job they did. The original people who replaced the system LEFT THE SUBWOOFER WIRED IN TO THE SAME SPEAKERS. Even though they had removed the amp. You can use the same wiring for a 4 speaker amp/head unit but you probably can't power the sub through those speakers or it'll take all your amp power and sound bad. :)

Clipped out the rear sub speaker wires, labeled them in case I want to get a 2 ohm amp to power it again and my cheap Boss Bluetooth head unit and pioneer speakers sounds a ton better and can make most of the way to full volume.