Install log for new speakers, amp, and head unit (M&T)

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
brandontw

Install log for new speakers, amp, and head unit (M&T)

Post by brandontw »

Howdy... When I was searching for info on this "moons and tunes" package, there was enough, but it wasn't all in one place, so I figure I'll do my part and add what I learned in my process.

My goal was to improve sound quality without going crazy running new wires, and without spending a ton of money.

I purchased 3 items, i'll give crutchfield links because they have a great site for info, but better prices can be found:

Double Din Head unit (first I tried a Kenwood dpx300u, I hated it and returned it, now a JVC KW-R900bt is on the way for 10$ more
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWR900B ... T&skipvs=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Small amp to replace stock one under seat, a Rockford PBR300x2. These are pretty cool little amps, there is a four channel version also, but I wanted more power for my front component set.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ap2VSkJrwc ... 300X2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A set of component speakers: I took a chance on a very cheap pair of Kenwood-KFC-P709PS. They don't have fancy boxes for their crossovers, heck they don't even have a crossover for the woofer, just an inline for the tweeter, which realistically is a perfectly reasonable way to go if you have a woofer that rolls of smoothly. Long story short, for the 65$ shipped I paid for these, I think they are a bargain.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFCP709 ... 9&skipvs=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And of course install accessories:
Dash kit: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_972 ... 1590A.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wire Harness: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_450 ... -GM05.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Antenna adapter: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_447 ... -MDA1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So that's the gear. Then I spent a bit deciphering the wiring of this setup, with help from wiring diagrams found both on this site, and from crutchfield. I tried my hand at making a wiring diagram to show how it's all going to happen with the stock wiring. It came out retarded, but the info is good. Click to see the whole thing.

So in a nutshell, I'm using the stock wiring to create a pair of RCA wires that go from the head unit to the amp area under the passenger seat, it's easy enough to attach RCA ends to two wires to make a workable signal carrier. Then I'm using the stock wiring to power up the Amp, and to connect the speakers. I'm plugging the rear speakers directly into head unit power, but I suspect ill barely use them. and I have a plan for phase two involving them.

Planning done, all that's left is the work...

The head unit was pretty easy, just remove the old one (pull on trim, remove 4 bolts)

Then connect the suitable wires on the harness to the HU harness by your choice off connectors, I soldered and heat shrunk, but (removed) connectors are fine too. You can see where I added RCA connectors to the front speaker input wires. I got the colors backwards somehow, but I marked em.

Outside is negative, middle wire is positive.

Note on install/dash kits: apparently there are none around that actually look good. The side brackets from mine worked fine to secure the radio in place, but all the trim pieces either didn't fit, or weren't worth using. I'm working on an idea to make my own filler panel, but that's another post.

This is the Kenwood, It looks fine and matched the car ok. It is also impossible to use, and you can't see the screen like at all during the day time. I do not recommend.

So next I went for the speakers.

I put about 10 Sq Ft. per door of this sound deadening material per door: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KN ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its mostly on the outer panel. I didn't bother to seal and deaden the entire door. I've found in the past that it hasn't been worth my time. Here's a decent resource for deadening and door panel removal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xcc4HZO7wE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Although the stuff i used looks MUCH easier to work with that the stuff he used.

Then I tried using the old brackets to mount the speakers by gutting out the old speaker forcefully, splicing in my connectors, and dremeling off that .25" lip around the edge.

It worked fine, but my speakers were rubbing on the door panel when it was all said and done, and rattling at high volume... time to make some MDF brackets. I measured between my speaker and the window inside the door and figured out that a 1/2" spacer would be about perfect... out comes the jigsaw:

I used the old factory ones as a template and it made for an easy job. I didn't recycle the holes because I didn't have any screws that would work with them, but i drilled three new ones and used some modest sheet metal screws to attach the baffles, and the speakers.

The door panels go on and clip fine, the windows roll down fine, and the speakers are secure!

Now for the tweeters. The tweeters and woofers both have a separate pair of wires running back to the amp, so I can put my crossovers over there when I installed the amp.

The sail panels just come off by pulling at the top.

The old Tweeters are attached from the back with a small Phillips screw. I Just bent the metal bracket down slightly to give myself access, then it came right off.

I took all the mounting cups and housings off of my new kenwood tweeters... heres old and new side by side

And here's the new one mounted, I just soldered the new wires on (check your polarity back to the amp wiring plug, the wire colors change. They are just held to the bracket with a moderate amount of high temp hot glue. I have no doubts they will stay there.

So that's it for the front speakers... amp time. I'm sure some will be concerned that I'm using factory wiring to power a 200W RMS aftermarket amp. I'm not worried about it. the factory amp has a 25A fuse under the hood. My new amp has a max draw of 30A, Ill have the gain at half or so, and will be surprised if I'm ever drawing anywhere over 15 amps. It's a pretty efficient little amp.

Access isn't hard. I removed the front seat (4 bolts) and the amp bracket (3 bolts) in a few minutes. Here is what the stock amp and bracket look like when extricated.

Id suggest to do your wires next... think plenty about where they will need to be in the end to save yourself headache later.
In progress(always mark your wires!):

All done. I'm not going to tape this mess shut just yet. Its plenty secure, and god knows ill be getting back in there eventually. The tweeter crossovers are in there too, and the plugs are in place for the amp.

The new amp fit on the old bracket like a dream.

This is a pic from the back once everything was reinstalled:
You can't even tell it's there!

So I think that's it for this phase. I'm pretty pleased with the sound... im used to much more expensive systems, but for the money its clear, loud, distortion free, and has plenty of punch, although the back speakers are stock, with head unit power... i just keep it faded to the front. They will have to go soon. But that's phase two. I have some 6" subs and a chip amp left over from another project, I'm going to see what I can do to add some low end for my front stage with tiny subs in the back doors.
That's all! I know Im about 10 years late posting this, but I just got the car! Gimmie a break!
Salsa Guy

Re: Install log for new speakers, amp, and head unit (M&T)

Post by Salsa Guy »

That is SWEEET!!! Great Write Up! Who cares if it's 10 years to late. Your Stock HU looks to be in good shape want to sell it...or at least the buttons? LOL
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
brandontw

Post by brandontw »

Salsa Guy wrote:That is SWEEET!!! Great Write Up! Who cares if it's 10 years to late. Your Stock HU looks to be in good shape want to sell it...or at least the buttons? LOL
Thanks.

The stock hu is long gone. I trashed it. The lights were half gone on it.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Awesome write up :D I love it when new members get involved to the point of perfection! We all benefit from your detailed work. Although this won't apply at all to either of my Vibe's I admire your thoughtfulness by sharing it with all of us here. Again thanks :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
brandontw

Post by brandontw »

Glad to do it. I've learned tons from forums over the years. I'm always happy when I have something to give.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Excellent! Its what I wanted to do, before I got carried away trying to reuse many of the stock components. Agree with woofers in the back door. The M/T sub is okay but if you seldom have rear passengers add some more punch to your audio.

With the use of MDF, I would check the window lip for leaks. On mine, gaps let a larger than normal about of water in the door around the window sash. Adjusting and adding a few dabs of sealant made a world of difference.
Link: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=40945&hilit=+water" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
FinkVibe

Post by FinkVibe »

Thanks for the write-up. How does it sound now? How do you like the deck. I am looking at that one as well but waiting for a little more income as I just bought my vibe.
brandontw

Post by brandontw »

FinkVibe wrote:Thanks for the write-up. How does it sound now? How do you like the deck. I am looking at that one as well but waiting for a little more income as I just bought my vibe.
Sounds good! The clarity and volume from the front speakers is really decent, especially for 60$ speakers. At first I was a bit disappointed with the bass response, but a decent break in period helped a lot. There was a little harshness in the upper midrange but the EQ on the deck helped me smooth it out.

I also switched out the stock rear speakers for some aura 5x7's I had laying around, I wasnt sure if i was going to be able to stuff them in there, but a little trial and error with some MDF and i got them in securely. I still keep it faded to the front pretty heavily, but I think the rear fill really helps, especially if your looking to reinforce the low-end without a sub.

Pic:

I like the deck fairly well. Its a lot better than the Kenwood, the screen is more useful, the 5v preouts really make a difference, the EQ is better, and it has bluetooth. A couple gripes... the usb port up front only supports mp3s and wavs, and it take 4 days to load when it first powers up, and it doesnt seem to read tags from the files very well. Plus theres no search function or anything. I just wish it was "smarter" i have a fully functional computer in my pocket at all times, you'd think they could make a decent cheap car stereo with a real screen and android or something.
MattDinOC

Post by MattDinOC »

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I just need to say THANKS to brandontw and others who have shared their info on the M&T setup. I just replaced the stock system in my '04 Vibe. Went with a Pioneer FH-X720BT (double DIN, no touchscreen), Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4 amp, and Kicker 6 3/4" component speakers (40CSS674) up front, full-range (40CS674) in back. No sub.

That PBR300 amp is perfect! Fits perfectly, runs great using the factory power wiring, looks and sounds nice and clean. Flawless sound IMO. Amazon sells it for about half of Crutchfield's price, but I bought everything else from Crutchfield.

The only new wiring I ran was a 4-channel RCA cable from the head unit to the amp. It just lays on the floor in the corner of the passenger footwell. NVX XIX43 - black braided nylon jacket - pretty inconspicuous - $33 on eBay.

I did need to get creative with a Dremel on the sail panel trim pieces, as the new tweeters protrude more than the stock ones did.

All in all, it's just loud enough for my liking, very clean sound. Bass response is OK, better than I was expecting without running a sub.

VERY happy with the end result for my outlay of less than $600.

Cheers,
Matt