Moons and Tunes?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
billabong_star

Moons and Tunes?

Post by billabong_star »

My aunt has a 2004 Vibe Abyss Mono with M&T, So I talked her into letting me drive it for awhile....I love this car! I HAVE to get one! They are so responsive, have pep and kick, and are comfortable! but This tunes thing is the 600 watt speakers stereo thing right? Does this improve the base alot or any at all? The stereo and it's sound is exactly what I have in my sunfire, and it's base sucks.
ragingfish

Re: Moons and Tunes? (billabong_star)

Post by ragingfish »

M&T gives you 200-watt "premium" sound system with 6 speakers, as opposed to the 4 that come with the base system. The two extra speakers are two tweeters right in the corner of the door. Wattage of base system is unknown. Might be 200 also?
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Guy in PHX

Re: Moons and Tunes? (billabong_star)

Post by Guy in PHX »

I have a 2003 with Moons and Tunes. Not that I particularly wanted it, just couldn.t find one in stock without it. I had a 2004 Vibe rental car for the last 2 weeks that did not have this option. I could not tell the difference between the 2 units. I also enjoyed the extra "antler" room without the moon roof. Makes a big difference in the open feeling of the cockpit. If I had it to do over I'd not get this option and use the money to upgrade the stock unit.
Just Passin' Thru
2003 Vibe/2009 Nissan Cube
joatmon

Re: Moons and Tunes? (Guy in PHX)

Post by joatmon »

That's how I got my M&T also, it was what I could find in dealer stock, and I was in a hurry.I would appreciate the extra antler room, but I do like having a sunroof. Don't know why, it's really not all that useful, but I almost never close the shade on it.I am also lucky to have an poor ability to assess audio quality. I mean I know when it's bad, but either I can't tell or don't care about the difference between good and awesome. The M&T sounds fine to me, the base stereo without the amp and tweeters would probably sound fine to me also. I don't know what the power output of the head unit is without the M&T amp, but I assume that it is less than 200W, I'm not cynical enough to believe that they'd put in an amp that did nothing just to jack up the price. THere's too many people out there who can tell the difference and would notice.As far as bass response goes, I think that the M&T probably puts out a reasonable amount of bass, but the speakers don't always reproduce it well. That's why there are subwoofers available as an aftermarket option. However, given my disclaimer about audio quality perception above, don't take my word on it.
ragingfish

Re: Moons and Tunes? (joatmon)

Post by ragingfish »

Overall, I'm very impressed with the M&T system...the sound is just a BIT muddy...but I'm told a couple of aftermarket speakers can fix that right up.Something I'm looking into.As to the amp, you're right, maybe the non-MT version is only 100 or something...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
Psychobroker

Re: Moons and Tunes? (ragingfish)

Post by Psychobroker »

quote: That's why there are subwoofers available as an aftermarket option.Aftermarket? If you mean dealer option, the only one available is the two tweeters + amp + sunroof (M&T).
turbotoy

Re: Moons and Tunes? (Psychobroker)

Post by turbotoy »

I put pioneer in mine and they sound great with the m&t. The tweeters where easy to install.
turbotoy300hp '82 toyota corollaT3/t4 turbo, Haltech, custom exhaust, built motor, AE-86 suspension'03 pontiac vibe GTAem CAIHKS circle earthGreedy evo exhaustTrd short shift, springs, and Strut bar
ragingfish

Re: Moons and Tunes? (turbotoy)

Post by ragingfish »

I hear Infinity makes good ones too...

2009 PONTIAC G8
Nervous_Dog

Post by Nervous_Dog »

quote: That's why there are subwoofers available as an aftermarket option.Aftermarket? If you mean dealer option, the only one available is the two tweeters + amp + sunroof (M&T).There is an optional subwoofer available through Toyota for the Matrix, but it's just a Bazooka bass tube. You can get the exact same thing cheaper from any stereo shop.
Nervous Dog2003 Monotone Lava GT w/ M&T and PowerMods: 18" Bronze Tenzo-R Mean Six rims w/ Kumho MX12" Rockford Fosgate Punch Sub in slot ported box2 - Rockford Fosgate Punch 201S amps2 pair - Rockford Fosgate P162C in front/rear doorsSony Xplod 5710 head unitHidden Hitch
taupecat

Re: Moons and Tunes? (Nervous_Dog)

Post by taupecat »

I also got M&T on my Vibe, which was a factory order.The sound system in my Mazda Crapégé was so horrible, that a transistor radio circa the 1950's would have sounded good to my ears. It was staticky, and I don't think the people who installed the aftermarket head unit did a very good job, because the speakers kept cutting in and out.My M&T system, however, sounds awesome! I can blast it as loud as I want and it sounds great. I guess it's all relative, and depends on what you're used to.At some point in the not-too-distant future, I'll replace the HU with something that plays MP3 CDs, and this time I think I'll install it myself (wish me luck). And maybe further in the future I'll swap out the speakers. Although really, the stock ones sound good to me.
2004 Salsa AWDMoon & TunesPower PackageProtection Packagehttp://www.cardomain.com/id/taupecat
meathead333

Re: Moons and Tunes? (taupecat)

Post by meathead333 »

quote:I also got M&T on my Vibe, which was a factory order.The sound system in my Mazda Crapégé was so horrible, that a transistor radio circa the 1950's would have sounded good to my ears. It was staticky, and I don't think the people who installed the aftermarket head unit did a very good job, because the speakers kept cutting in and out.i wouldnt have accepted that, theyd be fixin it till it sounded right
My myspace.com profile My 73' Bronco Cardomain page
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

quote: That's why there are subwoofers available as an aftermarket option.Aftermarket? If you mean dealer option, the only one available is the two tweeters + amp + sunroof (M&T).I guess to be unambiguous, what I meant was that there is an option to buy and install a subwoofer to boost the low frequency response. There are lots of subwoofers available from a vast number of sources, and it seems like a number of people have put them in their Vibes. Perhaps the word "option" carries the implied meaning that it is a non-standard Pontiac accessory that can be ordered with or after the car, but I didn't mean it that way. If you think an official Pontiac Vibe subwoofer is a good idea, recommend it in http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=5310