PKE-003 Passive Keyless Entry: guide by Lann

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
lannvouivre

PKE-003 Passive Keyless Entry: guide by Lann

Post by lannvouivre »

Some of this stuff is TENTATIVE. I have not wired up the locks, turn signals, or horn yet.

**thanks SlammedNiss for this link: http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/ve ... grams.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This link will have most of the wires relevant to the PKE system**

PKE-003 Passive Keyless Entry system

This system does several things:
1. Push-to-start button: Hold the brake pedal and press the button for a couple of seconds to start the engine. Do the reverse to stop the engine. (more info soon, those are kinda the only two functions I use).

2. Passive keyless entry: When you and the key fob are within a certain distance (the specs say 2 meters), the car will unlock as you approach, and lock as you leave. If the battery (in what? I don't know!) is dead, there's a backup antenna which is to be located on the windshield, which you hold your fancy little key fob up to.

3. Remote starting: Hold the remote start button on the fob 3 seconds; the green light on the fob will start flashing rapidly along with the car's turn signals, and the engine starts. If you aren't in the car and moving within 15 minutes, the engine will shut off as a safety feature. To shut off the engine via remote, hold the button 3 seconds again. The green light and turn signals will flash slowly, and the engine will shut off. (As a personal message from me, please remember that certain animals find the warm nature of the engine bay to be very inviting. Not only could the critters be harmed or killed by the fan or belts, they can also ruin your cooling fan.)

4. Alarm system: If someone forces the door opens, the car will be immobilize, flash its lights, and sound the horn. I was playing with the security plug-in and it flashes its light when you tilt it, so I believe there is a tilt sensor as well.

5. Remote trunk release: Um...lol. Well, this feature requires a motor to release the hatch, and I don't think any vibes have one. If you're getting this for your other, heathen, non-Vibe/Matrix car, then the little green light will flash once when you hit it.

Four Pin Harness (GRN, PPL) (ORG/GRN not present, last terminal empty)
  • GRN=NO
    PPL=COM
I started with the "key sense": spliced the PPL (PKE) wire into the "car" side of the DRK GRN/BLK (car) wire. Next, I spliced the GRN (PKE) wire into the ignition cylinder side of the same DRK GRN/BLK (car) wire. THESE ARE ALL IN THE SMALL CONNECTOR PLUGGED INTO THE IGNITION SWITCH. You must leave a cut key inside of the cylinder in the ON or ACC position. You should cut it so that you still have enough to turn with some pliers, but keep it whole until you have all of the push-to-start system working correctly.

For the following wires, I cut into the car's wires and put both spliced ends into one side of the b-u-t-t splice, then the PKE system wire into the other. For anything involving 2 PKE wires...they're 14 or 15 gage, so I would splice a smaller gage wire (the size of the wire on the ignition harness, which is 18 or so) onto the end of each PKE wire, then put both of those into the other end of the splice. I apologize; I don't have a soldering iron currently.

Six Pin Harness (BLU, RED, BRN, BRN, YEL, RED)
  • BLU=ACC
    RED=+12V
    BRN=IG2
    BRN=IG1
    RED=+12V
    YEL=START
BLU (PKE) into BLU/RED (car)
BRN1 into BLK/WHT
BRN2 into BLK/YEL
RED1 into BLACK (+12V that's always hot). I think RED2 can go into the ugly 14 gage OFF-WHITE color wire.
YEL into RED
THESE ARE ALL IN THE LARGE CONNECTOR IN THE IGNITION SWITCH.

24-Pin Harness
  • 1 YEL (large) = OIL CONTROL (not used)
    2 BRN = TURN SIGNAL
    3 RED = +12V
    4 PNK = HORN
    5 PPL = TRUNK 1
    6 YEL = CENTRAL LOCK WIRE (CLW)
    7 WHT/BLK = CLW
    8 YEL/BLK
    9 NONE
    10 NONE
    11 BLU/YEL = NEGATIVE TRIGGER DOOR SWITCH
    12 NONE
    13 YEL (large) = OIL CTRL (not used)
    14 BRN = TURN SIGNAL
    15 GRN = TRUNK 3
    16 BLU = TRUNK 2
    17 BLK = GROUND
    18 ORG/BLK = CLW
    19 ORG = CLW
    20 WHT = CLW
    21 NONE
    22 BLU/RED = POS TRIGGER DOOR SWITCH
    23 ORG/GRN = FOOT BRAKE SIGNAL
    24 WHT (large) ACC (input)
2 BRN and 14 BRN into ??? in MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH.
3 RED unused.
4 PNK into GRN/YEL in the HORN SWITCH
5 PPL, 15 GRN, 16 BLU are being ignored for now. They're for a trunk motor.
6 YEL to GROUND.
7 WHT/BLK into BLU/YEL in the panel beside the foot rest.
8 YEL/BLK to GROUND.
11 BLU/YEL unused.
17 BLK to GROUND.
20 WHT into GRN in the panel by the footrest.
22 BLU/RED unused.
23 ORG/GRN into GRN/WHT in the harness above the brake pedal.
24 WHT ended up unneeded.

**Note to self: underlined needs verification tomorrow.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit