Adding a switched always-on 12V outlet...

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
striker1211

Adding a switched always-on 12V outlet...

Post by striker1211 »

I would like to add a switch to the cigarette lighter so I have the option of keeping plug powered when the car is off and the key is out. I would like it to still switch on and off with the car, unless I flip the switch to on which would switch it to constant 12V. I think I got the wiring figured out in my head, but I just don't know where the wires are to tap into them.

I need a always hot (B+ or fused, preferably fused) wire that I could tap into and run into one side of the switch (SPDT On-On), and then closest location to that of the standard switched CIG fuse wire. From searching around the forum i THINK that there is a white fused IGN wire near the key cylinder but I am not sure. If anyone has the wiring diagram PDF that would be cool.

I was thinking of using a fog-light insert like I did for the DRL mod but it is a simple on-off switch with a backlight and not a SPDT.

Thanks in advance.
My Vehicle: 2008 Vibe Moon & Tunes 1.8L ATX
kumquat

Re: Adding a switched always-on 12V outlet...

Post by kumquat »

There's a +12V going to the stereo that should be easy to tap into. You should find it where the car harness would plug into the yellow wire on this adapter:
http://www.metraonline.com/part/70-2003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just use a multimeter or test light to find the right wire then tap into it. One pole of the switch should go to +12V, one pole to the source of the cig lighter, and the output to lighter itself. Then you can switch between constant +12v and the cig lighter source.

Personally I'd just wire the cig lighter straight to +12v and forget about it. My Grand Am's cig lighter was always on and it was convenient and never a problem.
striker1211

Post by striker1211 »

Oh wow I cannot believe I did not think of the radio haha. I even installed my own aftermarket radio too so it's double embarrassing. I have read on other forums that the cigarette lighter is prone to shorting on our vibes. Is there any inherent design flaw I can fix?
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

Interesting. I wonder why. I haven't had a problem with mine, but I've owned it 2 weeks ;)
striker1211

Post by striker1211 »

Update:

I finally (yes, finally) got around to doing this mod today. I took the yellow radio wire and a ground from the radio (I hate troubleshooting grounds) down to the dash lighter. Then I used the original cigarette wire to power my radar detector directly without a plug since I do not want it on all the time. Then to top this all off I cut the end off a 12V cigarette lighter splitter + USB charger thingy and wired that up to the unused center console P/POINT wire and installed a covert charger/splitter under the center console that powers my dash camera and cell phone. I only blew the P/POINT fuse once when checking polarity lol. To anyone curious:

The larger terminal on the cigarette lighter (its a striped wire) is ground, and the smaller terminal (it is a solid grey) is positive. The blue wire on the P/Point circuit is positive and the white/black wire is ground. Take care everyone.
danlee

Post by danlee »

2009 Pontiac Vibe 2wd 2.4L

I want to make my Cigarette Lighter outlet 'Always On', so I can use it to charge my USB devices with an USB adapter. I have several questions.

1. How do I remove the outlet from the console to get to the wires? I removed the radio & shifter bezels, but can't get the bezel off that holds the AC & Lighter outlets.

2. I would opt to install a jumper in the fuse panel connection to connect a hot 12 Volts to the wire that feeds the Lighter outlet, but I removed all of the fuses, one at a time, and the power(key on) never went off the lighter. There is a 15 Amp fuse in the location marked Inverter & lighter, but removing that fuse did not disable the lighter. Where is the fuse that feeds the lighter?