Ultragauge Setup

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Derf

Ultragauge Setup

Post by Derf »

Was looking at getting a scan tool to fill in for missing gauges and look into fuel economy. After reading a few genvibe discussions and other sites, went with the Ultragauge. Liked what Scangauge offered and being made domestically, but the display on the Ultragauge fit my need (blue display, Neptune Vibe..) So far have used the Ultragauge for five days and like available gauges. Shows 47 available gauges, many are the same gauges in different units. ie temp in F or C or recalculations of information. Aside from the fuel tracking, like the voltmeter and timing advance. Will have to use a tank or two to see how well the fuel tracking works. So far like the menu setup on the Ultragauge, the display options are numerous, from custom screens to multiple screens.

See a couple of members have an UltraGauge, but searching did not find dedicated topic on UltraGauge accuracy/interaction with the Vibe. Wanted to create a thread on any tips or tricks to getting the most out of this tool in the Vibe.
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/
vibe_ultragauge.jpg
vibe_ultragauge.jpg (42.06 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
Last edited by Derf on Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
KITT222

Re: Ultragauge Setup

Post by KITT222 »

I love my Ultragauge! Very helpful and very useful. It gives me instant and average MPG, intake and engine temp, engine load, and throttle position. Mine is mounted here:

A little inconvenient, blocking that vent a little and the A/C button, but I NEVER use A/C, and I run my winter heat through the defogger.

FYI: to get it to give a more accurate estimate for MPG, it will need to be calibrated with one/two settings. I just set the fuel consumption one, while the distance one I haven't messed with. It's accurate enough, but occasionally under or over estimates.

By the way, did you know you can only get at most 70% throttle? I wonder what happens if you go for the full 100%... :twisted:
Derf

Post by Derf »

Ultragauge installed for a month. So far like the added vehicle information. Estimated MPG, intake temp, voltmeter, actual engine temp, and timing advance are on main screen. Still playing with all the gauges. So for the MPG was 2 miles higher than actual, but I had injection setting turned on, reading 999 mpg when the injectors turned off during coasting may cause the high reading. Unfortunately the Ultragauge did not find/use the Vibes fuel sensor, so it does not know when I fill the tank. Will see if their is another setting I am missing.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

KITT222 wrote:A little inconvenient, blocking that vent a little and the A/C button, but I NEVER use A/C, and I run my winter heat through the defogger.
You may consider mounting it into that blank button. It has what looks like a pull-cable of some sort built into it. I uh...I broke the part behind it that secures the mystery cable to the back of the button so that I could remove the trim, then pulled on the cable to see if it does anything. I still have no idea what it's supposed to be for.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

lannvouivre wrote:
KITT222 wrote:A little inconvenient, blocking that vent a little and the A/C button, but I NEVER use A/C, and I run my winter heat through the defogger.
You may consider mounting it into that blank button. It has what looks like a pull-cable of some sort built into it. I uh...I broke the part behind it that secures the mystery cable to the back of the button so that I could remove the trim, then pulled on the cable to see if it does anything. I still have no idea what it's supposed to be for.
There's a few reason why I prefer its current spot.

- I have grown way too familiar with its current spot. I even check for it in that spot when driving other cars.
- It is better for it to be higher up on the dash than down low. Less time with your eyes off the road.
-I don't think I can even see it. It would be hidden behind the steering wheel.

The reason it's there is because I had a smaller gauge in that spot, and was already accustomed to it.
Derf

Re: Ultragauge Setup Menu selection

Post by Derf »

Over the past few months got better feel for the Ultragauge, things found so far:
-If you enter the menu mode before shutting the car off, it will stay in menu mode until you exit. This allows you to edit the settings, gauge displays etc without the car running. Just remember to exit the menu when done, so the Ultragauge turns off
-Gauge constantly displays about 3 Mpg over actual. Tried some settings, nothing really brought it within the 1Mpg I was looking for. All said, it is very consistent.
-Like the trip time and miles since start. Very handy if I forget to reset the Vibes trip meter
-Total hours is nice, instead of just going off mileage for oil change, can now compare engine hours since last oil change.

Things for consideration:
-The best instantaneous MPG in my Vibe (1.8l, FWD) seems to be around 52MPH and somewhere around 2k RPM in the Torque curve. Wonder how other models compare?
-Trying to figure out the O2 sensor readings, not sure what range is "normal" If Someone has readings from theirs, would like to compare.
-So far had my Ultraguage up to 160* on the dash, what is the hottest your gauge has been to, any issues, screen fade, etc?
Derf

Post by Derf »

Just got an e-mail that they now have a wireless OBD2 port to smartphone adapter. Thought about getting one, but really like my current Ultragauge. Curious if anyone else is planning to purchase the new model. Really like that it stores data until the next time you sync your smartphone, provides running totals.

http://ultra-gauge.com/blue.htm