lost master key to 09 1.8 canadian(need help please)

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
tpharris

lost master key to 09 1.8 canadian(need help please)

Post by tpharris »

So I lost my only key, brought it to gm and they ordered a new one says its just a matter of programming the new key.

Then next day they called and said I need to fork out over 1000 bucks because they cant program a new key and that they need to replace the theft deterent transponder or (exciter moduler).Does anyone know if this actually needs to be done. Till I do some research I have the new key and my car is sitting in there parkinglot. If there is a doit your self tutorial I would more then happy to try it out

Thanks
Terry

Pontiac
Vibe
FWD 1.8
Canadian
SeattleJeremy

Re: lost master key to 09 1.8 canadian(need help please)

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Following these steps should get your new key work with your current transponder.
http://www.programyourremote.com/classi ... sp?id=1807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please let us know if this works for you.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
trb

Post by trb »

Those steps are only for programming the REMOTE, not the actual theft deterrent key to the security system that is standard on the Canadian cars and optional on the US cars. It sounds like your dealer just does not want to bother with it or something. Check with some of the locksmiths around and see if any of them can program the key for you.
Some more info:
http://www.autotransponder.com/2009_pon ... ry_remotes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course it is too late for you now, but this is exactly the reason why on my cars that have transponder coded keys, I had 3 (three) keys for them. If you have at least one key, or two for a Ford, you can usually program an extra key yourself.

Good luck!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
triz

Post by triz »

Thats my understanding from it. If you lose the Master keys you have to get a new ECU.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

Hopefully this helps you out - we had a Vibe come in as a prize car that had both original keys lost - we were stuck with the same dilemma about replacing the theft deterrent module (which is mounted @ the base of the fire wall) - instead we just tricked the module - you got a new key with remote cut by the dealer, correct - these are specific ordered to the car (i think there are 5 or so different chips in them which are ordered by the cars current set up) - your new key will not start the vehicle but can open the doors - just follow the programming function for adding new keys - you don't have to start the car at anytime - the procedure is a bit of a pain to do quicky - but use your new key & follow the procedure - when it prompts you to insert the "new key" to add to exsisting, just re-insert that key again & continue on - we did that with that Vibe & it worked - hopefully it will be the same for your programming the new key, good luck