RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver)

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Vibe_of_the_thing

RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver)

Post by Vibe_of_the_thing »

Hey, y'all. The key key fobs on my 2003 GT M&T started working intermittently (and a little strangely--honking slightly but not unlocking), both at the same time, and now don't work at all despite the fact that the light flickers brightly when I hit each key. I tried the procedure for teaching the system new key fobs and everything worked up to the point where it needed to take input from the key fobs, so I suspect there's an issue with the receiver (or RCDLR). My problem is that I've checked through the maintenance manual and looked online and haven't found a good image of exactly where it's located. Does anybody know? Seems to be in the trunk somewhere. If nobody knows, I'll tear in and find it and report back, but I would love to avoid the search part of the equation.

Thanks!

P.S. the part number is 88969656 if that helps.
Last edited by Vibe_of_the_thing on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
joatmon

Re: RCDLR

Post by joatmon »

I think its supposed to be behind the inside trim, on the side, somewhere behind the rear passenger wheel well. My first didn't have it and there was a loose connector hanging in there, the one I have now does have it and I reached around in there and couldn't find it,or the cable, but I'm pretty sure its in there somewhere
Vibe_of_the_thing

Awesome, thanks. That area seemed right, but the diagram was really poor; it could have easily been in the rear hatch from what I saw. Great to have confirmation before removing a bunch of trim panels.
Vibe_of_the_thing

So I tore into it this past weekend. Unfortunately once I got there, I found that the part I got off ebay was incorrect (fortunately seller was nice enough to acknowledge their mistake and refund my money). So, I don't have any pictures, but the process to get to the unit is not horrible:
1) You take off the panel covering the cubby for the cargo area cover.
2) Then remove the cargo deck (two bolts holding down the hinges).
3) Then remove the cubby area by removing the latch system tether anchors and two additional bolts.
4) Then remove the spare tire cover under the cargo deck by removing the disk that screws down onto the bolt coming up through the spare.
5) Then remove the 4 anchors for the cargo netting on the right side of the car.
6) Pop the large lower cargo area side trim off by working it out from under the piece of trim at the rear of the cargo area and popping out the anchors as you would any other piece of interior trim. This will involve partially removing the black piece of trim running down next to the seat as they overlap.
7) Remove the upper seat belt mount for the right rear passenger.
8) Pop the right upper cargo area trim panel off.
Now you have access to the RCDLR, which is behind the rear quarter window.

All in all really not as bad as it could have been.

Now my question, before I pony up for a new RCDLR that apparently cannot be returned because it is special order--has anybody else had a problem with the RCDLR? As in, it stops sending commands to the car even though your remotes work? If so, did it turn out to be a problem with the unit itself, or the wiring?
joatmon

Re: RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver)

Post by joatmon »

I don't remember anyone here having a problem with that before. Might be someone, but you might be the first here. Looked, couldn't figure out where you are, other than you used to bowl as a kid in St Louis ;) Maybe you can find some benevolent genviber who is adventurous and would be willing to meet up and try a swap just to identify if the RCLDR is really the bad component
Vibe_of_the_thing

joatmon wrote:I don't remember anyone here having a problem with that before. Might be someone, but you might be the first here. Looked, couldn't figure out where you are, other than you used to bowl as a kid in St Louis ;) Maybe you can find some benevolent genviber who is adventurous and would be willing to meet up and try a swap just to identify if the RCLDR is really the bad component
Hahaha, yeah, long time ago. Houston is the new location--maybe I should update my profile.

Anyway, in that case I'll just go through the check procedure myself--I would have to tear the thing apart again either way, no sense in making somebody else do the same. Luckily we have a 3rd car available so I can just leave it disassembled while I wait for the parts.
Vibe_of_the_thing

Welp, I tore the car apart again and checked the leads with my trusty multimeter and the car side voltages seem to be correct, so I went ahead and took another shot with an eBay retailer. This one had more specific pictures so I'm hopeful I get the right part this time.

Fwiw, the Toyota part number, which seems like a safer bet, is 89741-02070. It's a safer bet, but hoo boo do you ever not want to pay retail. My used one from a Vibe being parted out is $40 shipped, but a new one from Toyota is more than 10 times that.
Vibe_of_the_thing

Woohoo! Tried eBay one more time and can now successfully lock and unlock the car.

For any experiencing similar difficulty, it's interesting to note that the receiver is simply that--a dumb receiver. The key codes are stored elsewhere in the car's brain. It immediately recognized the signal from my key fob once I connected the new receiver.