Hello! New Here

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Vibelo

Hello! New Here

Post by Vibelo »

Hi I just purchased a 2004 Vibe. I have searched for a while but I have not found a definite answer. Would this radio fit my Vibe? VIBE 03-06 AM-FM-stereo-6-disc CD player (opt UC6), ID 88972142----I have the single disk player and would like to update to the 6 disk. If it does fit would of be plug and play?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Vibelo

Re: Hello! New Here

Post by Vibelo »

Did I not follow the rules with this post? Just asking because no one answered. Do I need to post the question somewhere else? :oops:
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Nothing wrong with your post, it's just kind of an obscure question and it will take the right person logging in that has experience swapping between single and six-disk radios. My gut feeling is that you would need more than just the head unit. Most 6-disk radios I've seen have a separate changer that lives in the trunk or the glove box. I have no experience with the Vibe changer, though.
Image  Image
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome! Maybe the title of your post is not going to get the radio swap gurus to jump in here, as it seems more like an introduction thread in the wrong place instead of a tech question thread.

But I did a search and found this thread: viewtopic.php?t=7291" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. Your post title got my attention as simply being a new member here and myself and most others here welcome you. Post pics & location when you get a chance. Can't help you on the radio question as I own the 2nd generation Vibes and they are pretty much totally different than your 1st generation model. Good luck ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
JoeyD1005

Post by JoeyD1005 »

Here's the scoop with most changers in cars, the head unit, is going to function more or less as a glorified remote control to the actual changer. As stated earlier, there is a separate unit that will house the CD's and physically read/store/change them. The wiring from the cd changer will be ran through your car to the back of the head unit/reciever. Believe it or not, on some cars, the radio unit itself, isn't even the radio. A lot of the times, even for a simple radio, there is a different module that is the heart of the radio somewhere else in the car. Case in point, a Taurus I worked on a while ago had the actual radio unit in the trunk behind some of the trunk lining.
Vibelo

Post by Vibelo »

Thank you so much everyone! Will post pictures soon. I am in Atlanta Ga.
Vibe_of_the_thing

Post by Vibe_of_the_thing »

It looks like the linked thread should have answered your question, but I'm surprised that so many GenVibers don't seem to be aware that the stock 6 disk changer is a single unit with the early vibes. I love the fact that it is in-dash. Too bad you didn't catch me a few months ago, I've had my stock 6-disk listed in a post in For Sale forever and never got any nibbles, but the wiring I did for the Kenwood unit I put in eventually went bad so I just swapped the 6 disk back in.